Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Ascender

Notices

Thread: Topless Jimmy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2018, 07:42 AM   #41
RCC Addict

Default Re: Topless Jimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgputer View Post
I really dig this build. I am planning on going offset diff in the front on my international. Helps give me inspiration.

Sent from my Vivo XI+ using Tapatalk
Thanks man! I’m lucky to have access to a lathe so making axle tubes is easy. Finding the ssd diamond center sections made it a no brainer. Easy axle tube attachment, the lower 3.75:1 gear ratio I wanted, and it looks like an aftermarket center section so it’s not obvious that I’m using axial based products. I’m shortening the front driveshaft to fit now and the chassis will be basically done. Then to body work and interior building.

Ben
Itali83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-27-2018, 08:30 AM   #42
I wanna be Dave

I was thinking about cheating and picking up the GCM TMX axle housing and shafts since they are vaterra based I could swap parts and just use their axle. Now to decide if $70 is worth not having to make it myself.

mgputer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 12:05 PM   #43
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itali83 View Post
Made my axle shafts, went full eyeball engineering on making my long side shaft and it seems to work. Time will tell but I did get some nice welds on it and cleaned them up and can even replace the bearing if need be.

The fit together with air gap to allow for weld to fill in and not just lay on top. I got on such a roll and never took a picture of the finished axle but it is done lol.

Got my ssd scale driveshafts today and I’m a bit disappointed. They didn’t take the time to line up the u-joints so no matter which spline you use, the u-joints are never in phase. Now I’m going to have scale vibrations in my scale truck from my scale driveshafts. Going to contact them and see what they say.

Ben

Assuming you silver soldered the long side front axle shaft, or? Was really looking forward to finished picture of that nice piece of engineering. Anyways axles looking great!

That's too bad about the SSD driveshafts, keeping both end joints in proper phase is key to long life and smooth running, such a simple manufacturing over look or just QC problem. Hope they fix it and get you taken care of.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 12:32 PM   #44
RCC Addict

Looks like a lot of work.
BTW, the axial blazer body will be out next month - already topless and done. Of course it's a blazer and not a jimmy. [shrug] That green one in the scx10ii gallery is the motivation.

I have those wheels on backorder with RC4WD. I wonder if they're actually going to make them again. Authentic looking for sure.

Mad skillz.

Some of you guys have WAY more patience than I do. I build 'em quick, run 'em, crash 'em, build another.
Browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 12:49 PM   #45
RCC Addict

Nate, I actually fired up he lincold mig welder and welded the axle. Don’t have a good set up for solder/brazing so I just mig as much as I can. Would love to get into tig welding some day. If I have to pull it out at some point I’ll take a picture but just incision the gaps filled in with weld and ground down to slide the bearing over lol.

As for the ssd issue, I’m not holding my breath...

Chris, thanks for the compliment. The axial blazer body is on my list and will be going on the next truck I build. Going to build it with my daughter. She wants unicorns, horses, and rainbows on it so it’ll be a fun build. She’s 4.5 and already blowing through the LEGO kits we’re getting her. Like the big Disney princess castle kits with 400+ pieces so it’s time to get her on the bench building an ascender. Taking Nemo (F-100) apart completely and building back up but with the blazer body.

I got super lucky and got those wheels first run by accident from a local hobby shop on eBay actually. They are nice and they look good with this body. I was going to pain them another color but got impatient trying to think of a color and wanted to mount tires for body fitament so red they’ll be. I’m his truck is going to be a mix of colors with some on the outside, some primer and some patina so I’m not worrying about paint color. I don’t have much love for body work and paint work and rather have a nice clean custom chassis and body but paint I don’t care really.

Ben
Old 11-27-2018, 12:51 PM   #46
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgputer View Post
I was thinking about cheating and picking up the GCM TMX axle housing and shafts since they are vaterra based I could swap parts and just use their axle. Now to decide if $70 is worth not having to make it myself.

I’m at that point right now too. I just don’t have the time so make much stuff from scratch so that’s why I put the gcm motor mount in this truck. I have plans made up for a custom transmission and transfer case that get the motor literally down in between the frame rails but just don’t have time to make up the parts so screw it. Someday. So buying parts already made isn’t totally cheating.

Ben
Old 11-28-2018, 07:15 PM   #47
RCC Addict

Here ya go Nate...

Got the grill painted and just sitting in there for a poser shot. Need to think about how to do headlight and marker light lenses and light buckets. Got a few ideas but need to think some more.

Need to order the gmc emblem from shapeways too.

Ben

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-29-2018, 08:33 AM   #48
RCC Addict

FYI...for any of you lurkers...these Rallye wheels from RC4WD are back in stock. My set ordered.

And I think they're a pretty good deal - they come with the trim rings, bright center hubs, and the tool for the hub - all 4 wheels shipped with tax for $66.

Old 11-29-2018, 10:35 AM   #49
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Here ya go Nate...

Got the grill painted and just sitting in there for a poser shot. Need to think about how to do headlight and marker light lenses and light buckets. Got a few ideas but need to think some more.

Need to order the gmc emblem from shapeways too.

Ben

Thanks, Ben axle and grill looks great! Ya I need emblems for my TF2 Yota too, really adds to the scale. Like how you how the rounded bottom grill corners too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Browneye View Post
FYI...for any of you lurkers...these Rallye wheels from RC4WD are back in stock. My set ordered.

Thanks for the headsup, good deal too!
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 08:03 PM   #50
RCC Addict

Got a little styrene work done today. Lots of details for the rear bed section left to do but you get the rough idea...

Old 12-24-2018, 04:03 PM   #51
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Got a little styrene work done today. Lots of details for the rear bed section left to do but you get the rough idea...

Very nice Ben, your skills as a over all builder is bar none one of the best on this site. I've said this before, but I wish we live closer so we could share ideas more often! It is amazing how thinking out and planning how to modify toy "Toy Trucks" can be such a stress relief! "thumbsup!
You guys have a Merry Christmas and a great New Year!"
Ernie
CODYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 05:33 PM   #52
RCC Addict

Thank you very much Ernie. That’s a very nice compliment. I try to think things through but am limited by time and resources some times. I do enjoy working and designing them. I can’t get down to my garage and work on my 1:1 toys at this point in life but this is very close. Just about to start on tearing one of my other ascenders apart to build with my daughter.

I may take this truck out for some testing this week when I hopefully get out on the rocks. Vacation this week and the weather is decent. Thanks again for all the positive replies.

Ben
Old 12-29-2018, 07:11 PM   #53
RCC Addict

Took the rig out for a test run on the rocks. Gotta day I was very impressed with its handling. Typical small tire issues of clearance but super balanced and predictable. Rear springs are very stiff but the body doesn’t have all its weight yet either so I figured that. I still did bend a leaf even with a shorter helper spring under the main leaf but I think that’s just how leaf life goes. This is very gnarly terrain and I got in a few binds by accident.

On to the drivetrain. Gearing down, like way down, like 96:1 total reduction is awesome. I put in a HH 550 trailmaster sealed can, 27 turn running 3s and yes, it is very slow. Like wide open and only a slow walking pace, but the control and smoothness is worth it. If I ever save up and get a HH BRXL esc and run 4s, I think it’ll be amazing. Though, 3s got me out of a few “when in doubt, throttle out” situations.

I’m happy enough to keep on with the interior and scale bits to finish this truck up. I’m sure it’ll loose some COG but I’d like to have a full interior with driver. Debating cage work or not still.

Ran my og blazer. Friggin love this truck. It’s my rock and hasn’t had any love for about a year so today was the day to get it out. Point, shoot, enjoy. That’s this truck all day.

Ben

Old 01-01-2019, 05:16 PM   #54
RCC Addict

So I guess I bent my springs a bit more than I thought lol...

I did find out that when I tightened the front hangers to the frame, they bound up the front eye of the spring so the spring couldn’t pivot freely. I’m sure this made the leafs extra stiff and caused the bending too. I’ve got it all apart for some final tweaking and making sure everything is nice and smooth.

Also started to put together a roll cage. My first roll cage and I’m not going for anything over the top. Just something simple that the backyard mechanic would make. Not hack job, just function over form.

It’s 3/16” brake line. Kinda flimsy but easy to bend and work with. Looks scale enough to me and I don’t plan on beating on the truck and letting it roll down a mountain so I’m sure it’ll be strong enough. Going to Mig weld it because that’s what I’ve got. Then build an interior around it.

Ben

Old 01-01-2019, 05:56 PM   #55
RCC Addict

Not trying to hijack your thread but the pics of your Blazer reminded me of my old 1/2 ton short bed Chevy.

Inspector86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 07:49 PM   #56
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
So I guess I bent my springs a bit more than I thought lol...

I did find out that when I tightened the front hangers to the frame, they bound up the front eye of the spring so the spring couldn’t pivot freely. I’m sure this made the leafs extra stiff and caused the bending too. I’ve got it all apart for some final tweaking and making sure everything is nice and smooth.

Also started to put together a roll cage. My first roll cage and I’m not going for anything over the top. Just something simple that the backyard mechanic would make. Not hack job, just function over form.

It’s 3/16” brake line. Kinda flimsy but easy to bend and work with. Looks scale enough to me and I don’t plan on beating on the truck and letting it roll down a mountain so I’m sure it’ll be strong enough. Going to Mig weld it because that’s what I’ve got. Then build an interior around it.

Ben

Looks good. I'm at that point on mine as well.

Old 01-02-2019, 07:07 PM   #57
RCC Addict

Incase anyone is interested, this is what 96:1 total gear reduction looks like.

https://youtu.be/ww8NNWa2veY

27 turn HH trailmaster sport sealed can, 1080wp esc, and 3s lipo. Wide open the truck will only do a slow walking pace but I LOVE the slow speed control. This video is not in slow mo.

Ben
Old 01-02-2019, 07:11 PM   #58
I wanna be Dave

Great vid. That really seems to crawl well. Excellent work as always!

Old 01-02-2019, 09:20 PM   #59
RCC Addict

Quote:
Incase anyone is interested, this is what 96:1 total gear reduction looks like.

https://youtu.be/ww8NNWa2veY

27 turn HH trailmaster sport sealed can, 1080wp esc, and 3s lipo. Wide open the truck will only do a slow walking pace but I LOVE the slow speed control. This video is not in slow mo.

Ben
how do you get 96:1?
I just got a 27T motor and a 88t spur. Gotta pick a pinion to go with it. Looking for slow speed as well.
Old 01-03-2019, 02:44 AM   #60
RCC Addict

The axles i built for this truck use scx-10ii based center sections that have a 3.75:1 ratio instead of the ascender 1.85:1. I’ve got a 15t pinion and 86t spur. Stock ascender transmission with 4.05:1 ratio. A 1.1:1 transfer case and 3.75:1 rear ends. Add that all up and it’s a total of 95.78:1 total reduction. A stock out of the box ascender with a 14t pinion is about 56:1 total reduction.

I’ve geared down my others as much as possible with a 12t pinion. Didn’t realize there was an 88t spur available, but that still isn’t as slow as I’d want so that’s why I built the axles I did. Also I just didn’t want to deal with torque twist or axle wrap with the leaf springs like I do with my other leaf spring ascender. M

Ben

Topless Jimmy - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My little Jimmy... lol Itali83 Vaterra Ascender 120 09-14-2020 01:39 PM
Don't Touch My Jimmy: GMC Jimmy build by CFM CarterFab Vaterra Ascender 31 11-01-2015 12:33 AM
Jimmy-Yeti jrkilburn Axial Yeti 2 08-29-2014 06:36 PM
Jimmy Fallon hotrodsonoma Chit Chat 1 06-10-2014 10:56 AM
can Jimmy do it THIS time? emaxxjeremy Chit Chat 3 11-18-2006 12:28 PM