Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Twin Hammers

Notices

Thread: Newb motor swap

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2013, 12:59 PM   #1

Default Newb motor swap

First off let me state that this is my first surface vehicle, I'm a air guy and I have no experience with sensored motors and little experience with sensorless brushless motors.

That being said I was sold a Fuse 13.5T sensored motor by my LHS to swap into my TH. I've got the cage off on the bench and became overwhelmed. What do I need to do to remove the stock motor? Does the tranny have to come out? Is the the Fuse motor a direct swap? If not what mods need to be done?

TIA,
Scott Mac.
ScottMac737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-19-2013, 02:45 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Newb motor swap

You can probably swap the motor out with the trans in but it's a whole lot easier to remove it from the chassis.

There are 8 screws that have to come out from the bottom. 4 in the trans, 2 forward of it for the chassis brace stand-off and 2 on the motor mount itself. Pull the 2 rear most screws out that hold the shock mount/chassis brace to the standoff and loosen the rest of the screws in the brace, they do not have to come out, you just need a little extra wiggle room.

A 13.5T sensored brushless motor is IMO the ideal speed range for one of these to make it an absolute blast to drive.

The fuse motor should be a direct swap, just mount your new ESC where the old one was. Plug everything in, read the instructions, power it up and calibrate everything for end points.

You may want to swap to 32p gears in the future. You can use a Losi XXX-NT spur gear to do this without any mods to anything.
DrewHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 09:04 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

You do not need to remove tranny from the chassis.
Only a few screws....Watch this video, go to 4:15
Vaterra Twin Hammers- Brushless Motor Swap and Transmission Viewing - How To - YouTube
dbuus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 09:27 PM   #4

Thanks guys, I'll give that shot tomorrow. While attempting to tear it down I also found a crack in the steering servo. Is it worth a call HH to Tech or would I be better off getting a higher quality replacement?
ScottMac737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 10:41 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

No need to remove the trans. 2 screws hold the spur/pinion cover on, then 2 more thru the aluminum motor mount holding the motor in. hinge the aluminum up and remove the motor with its sliding adjuster. remove the pinion, remove 2 screws holding aluminum adjusting slider on. reverse to install.
indysand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 01:51 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottMac737 View Post
Thanks guys, I'll give that shot tomorrow. While attempting to tear it down I also found a crack in the steering servo. Is it worth a call HH to Tech or would I be better off getting a higher quality replacement?
I'd recommend a quality replacement. As with air, if you loose a cheap servo, things get interesting very quickly. Been there done that! Thank god for foam fuselages!
Pockets70 is offline   Reply With Quote

Newb motor swap - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Motor swap xjchase Venom Creeper 7 03-19-2013 08:40 AM
My motor swap. redrokin00XJ Redcat Crawlers 23 02-23-2011 02:58 PM
NEWB motor swap question... (LNC) SayBye Electronics 1 01-16-2011 07:08 PM
motor can swap djjiz Newbie General 16 05-30-2008 03:44 PM