Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Twin Hammers

Notices

Thread: 2 speed transmission help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2015, 06:08 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default 2 speed transmission help

I tried posting this in the newbie section but got no response. Hoping you guys might be able to help me out. Bit of a newbie question:

I recently picked up a used TH. It runs great in low speed most of the time but the high speed only works sporadically. It seems like something isn't engaging correctly, and I've had it happen in both low and high gear.

I took it all apart because I was worried the gears were stripped, wanted to start my trouble shooting there. When I was putting the transmission back together I noticed the axels the gears are on have a lot of play side to side. Also the axel the spur gear is on has some play in and out, and seems to work fine when I push it completely into the case but doesn't engage well when not.

Is play like this normal? The bearings seem good. Am I missing a shim? I didn't see one in the exploded diagram.

I also haven't messed around with the servo limits yet aside from using the limits on the radio. Is there more too it?

Thanks for any help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
flifisher312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-2015, 07:30 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: 2 speed transmission help

There is thrust washers (Green arrows) on both of those shafts and the bearings could be bad as well. Either way there should not be much in and out play.

Setting the end points on the shift servo is critical in servo life and shifting properly. There is a sticky that will walk you through it.

It sounds like you may have bought this used and it may have not been put back together correctly
Sr.Irie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 08:36 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

Thanks Sr.Irie. I'll look at it again to see if these washers are there and double check the bearings. My shift servo settings could absolutely be the issue, I haven't looked too closely at that yet.
Thanks for the help!
flifisher312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 09:45 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

I would guess it is your end points on your servo settings.
CODYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 07:34 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

While you have the trans apart take some 800 grit emery cloth to the shift shaft where it passes through the trans case to polish it. Also closely inspect the trans case for extra flashing, scoring, etc... where the shift shaft passes through.

I've found that the entire shifting mechanism is very sensitive to extra friction anwhere in the system.
meatmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

2 speed transmission help - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
tf2 with 2 speed transmission and 2 speed transfer case Teasley4Crawlers RC4WD Trail Finder 2 9 12-02-2014 10:34 AM
2 Speed transmission rickesco Newbie General 9 12-28-2013 07:28 PM
2 speed transmission spartyman Axial Wraith 5 08-13-2013 08:52 PM
2 speed transmission TheOgre Axial SCX-10 8 05-10-2012 08:02 AM
R2 2 speed transmission mtmayhem 1.9 Scale Rigs 5 04-04-2012 02:43 PM