Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Twin Hammers

Notices

Thread: My first TH build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2016, 03:30 PM   #1

Default My first TH build

Ten years away from cars and trucks nothing but large scale and 3D planes so decided to get back into it with a Twin Hammers ! Been checking out every ones builds on here and used a lot of Ideas I liked. Finally finished her with the exception of still wanting to put a GCM interior to replace the generic one it comes with which I dressed up but it really needs a 3D interior. Also still considering servo upgrades as of right now I'm just running the steering and the gear is off as I had nothing but problems with the stock servo till it crapped out! I'm new to the rock Crawler concept and built it for speed with the CC 3800kv sidewinder and thick diff lube up front so as to be used but not diff out so easily. Thought I would add a touch more to the scale look putting in the Knights VW engine. Had a 1/12 V8 but really wasn't a way to get it to work with the way the TH is designed when keeping the front shocks in the original mounting positions. Over all very beautiful scale racer, the most scale I've ever had coming from the early days of the original t-maxx, revos and slayers!
Some of the major mods and a lot more dollars invested than originally planned!
CC Sidewinder 3800kv with CC ESC
RC4WD Tarantula 1.9 Internal Beadlock Wheels
RC4WD Dick Cepek FC-II tires
scaler fab front bumper
RC4WD King Off-Road Scale shocks 110 rear 70 in front
Traxxas turnbuckles ( really like the anodized red)
GCN rear truss
Hot racing rocker arms, front sway bar, track rods, 78t spur gear
TH rear sway bar, wheel hex, transmission metal gears, front locker (not using at the moment)
Attached Images

rltrahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-07-2016, 04:50 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: My first TH build

Very nice. What size shocks are you using on the front? Did the HR rocker arms make any difference to how the front suspension performed?
Rotare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 05:57 PM   #3

Default Re: My first TH build

I have the RC4WD 70 mm shocks up front and though I did not try them on the stock rocker arms I would suggest getting the hot racing rocker arms. The HR has two bottom shock mounting positions to choose from which you can see in the picture I used the longer (furthest) mounting point. When I tried to use the shorter (closest) it had issues when rotating back as the shock compressed hyper extending the rocker arms behind mounting point to the chassis. I tried every mounting position to include mounting the top of shocks where the shock table mount connects to the chassis. Where they are now was the most optimal mounting position.

As far as the RC4WD 70mm shocks the soft springs that come with them are not enough so got the spring assortment pack and upgraded to the heaviest springs. If you want to go a step further you cant get the 90mm spring assortment and have as much adjustability in the front shocks you could ever want. In this set up you still have plenty of room for the shocks to compress as the travel in compression is not enough to completely compress the extra coils in the 90mm spring on the 70mm shock. Overall its a great improvement over the stock springs and make them much more effective.
Attached Images

rltrahan is offline   Reply With Quote

My first TH build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
JackedDriver's R1 Build (non-specific purpose / just wanted a good build) JackedDriver G-Made Crawlers 12 01-12-2016 07:59 PM
scx10 G6 2.2 Wroncho/Wrangler Build (AKA The Sleeping On The Couch Build) Irishchamp 2.2 Scale Rigs 45 10-09-2014 10:26 PM
~53 Willys 2010 Comp Rig Build~ RC4WD MOA Worminator Build~ 53 willys General Crawlers 108 11-28-2011 12:42 AM
RcBros LCC Build, Hi-Res pics & More Build!! RcBro Team Losi Comp Crawler 30 06-03-2009 07:26 PM