Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Twin Hammers

Notices

Thread: Gearbox idea ... + pics

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2016, 04:17 PM   #1

Default Gearbox idea ... + pics

Hey guys. First, excuse me for any writting mistakes, 'cause i am from Belgium ... so ...

I have always been a big scale rider, but due to noise emissions and air pollution, big scale 2-stroke engines or no longer allowed on the rc tracks.

So i got into the search for a nice looking elektro. And guess what: i fell in love with the Twin Hammers.

In Belgium, there isn't that much Twin Hammers info. So google is my best friend and i have already spend some houres of scrolling and reading here ... got to page 42 ... Got almost all the info i want.

I bought one for my son, bought one for myself and bought a donor Twin Hammers for parts also. I think it's an addiction.

Enough talking. I have set the servo end point just right so that the shifting servo hardly buzzzz and the servo shaft (or how do you guys call that) feels free and there is no stress on it at all after shifting gears.

Here is my crazy idea. I planning to drill a tinny little hole at the top and in the bottom of the gearbox. And with some very little hex screws or something simular, i could make an oil filler plug and oil drain plug. And that would make me able to fill up the gearbox with some oil, 80W90 or something simular like i use on the diffs on my car. And through the filler and drain plug, i would be able to flush the gearbox out with some brake cleaner each season or so ... info wanted. Has this been done before? Looks like a good idea to me that the gears are spinning in fresh oil ...

Last edited by guzzio; 11-13-2016 at 08:00 PM.
guzzio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-13-2016, 06:01 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Gearbox idea ... + pics

Good idea but I do not believe it is necessary. Some quality grease and you will be good. If you still would like to, I would say some really thin oil, 80/90 would be to thick. Also do not completely fill the box, just enough for the lower gears to run in. It will end up with to much drag if full and with 80/90.

Also I dig the paint scheme

Last edited by Sr.Irie; 11-15-2016 at 04:42 PM. Reason: The paint
Sr.Irie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 08:03 PM   #3

Hmmm ... think you are right. 80W90 is to thick. Think i will give it a try and modify the gearbox with a drain- and filler plug. Will post pics. Thanks.
Old 11-14-2016, 10:28 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

Why? Is there a benefit running oil over a quality grease?

Seems potentially like a lot of effort for no obvious benefit.
Rotare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 11:42 PM   #5
Dbx
Quarry Creeper

Nice idea..... You will be able to squirt some grease in through the holes after all the oil has leaked out
Dbx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 10:18 PM   #6
Slow is the new Fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbx View Post
Nice idea..... You will be able to squirt some grease in through the holes after all the oil has leaked out
The underlying point here would be my concern ; shit could get really messy if things aren't perfectly sealed
smog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 10:47 AM   #7

I've just changed all my gears to metal ones. The box doesn't have any grease or oil in it from the start & I haven't put any in, am I missing something? Should I be greasing it? I thought if I grease it up that will just attract dirt & crap
Bart458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 11:07 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Red 'N' Tacky. Excellent grease and stays put for a long time. It takes very little and won't run out and make the whole car a sticky smelly mess. It's all I have used on 20 plus vehicles including a twin hammers with all steal. Although my hammers did have grease from the factory on the plastics when I took it apart. Good luck either way you decide to go

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
phllint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 04:20 AM   #9

Thanks guys. I inspected the gearbox and it is not such a good idea to make a filler- drain plug. Just did some grease in there and everything runs smooth.

But: the gearbox switches SO MUCH NICER when i just let my finger off the throttle and then shift! So not when hitting the throttle trigger!!! Spot on every time. I think it is because there is no stress on the gearbox when you let the throttle go. 👍👍👍👌👌👌

Gearbox idea ... + pics - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
bright idea (better pics ) snohiker Axial Wraith 8 08-05-2012 10:06 AM
no pics but i have a new idea to upgrade your scale shifter DJ1522 Scale Accessories 0 12-05-2011 01:24 PM
Link placement idea..Pics -BIGMAXX- Team Losi Comp Crawler 6 12-01-2011 12:49 AM
check out my new chassis idea lots of pics themichavo Duratrax Cliff Climber 23 09-17-2009 10:41 PM
Wheel Weight Idea. Good or Bad? Pics dj23gsx Axial AX-10 Scorpion 14 12-08-2008 02:05 PM