Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Twin Hammers

Notices

Thread: Yeti.stealths RTR Twin Hammers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2017, 03:47 AM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Yeti.stealths RTR Twin Hammers

Hi all,
After years of want I got myself the Twin Hammers. Grabbed the V2 RTR while they are on sale in Australia, the distributors website shows them as discontinued ☹️.
I am always watching their site and usually get a bargain on things when the are finished and on clearance sale, scored some cheap parkzone planes etc in the past. Sad thing is they have never made a mistake with there discontinued notices and nothing has ever come back from the dead☹️ So sadly it looks like the Twin Hammers is next! I hope Vaterra have got something awesome planned to replace it!

Gave it a quick shake down in the back yard with a 2s shorty pack, everything works perfectly, packed it back away as it will be the wife's Christmas present to me😁

I need a 3rd rig and wanted another dx4c radio, wanted something that would work as a basher in the yard, trail rig to hang with my Ascenders when I take my son and his cousin, cousin's, Aunty, uncle, friends out crawling and something to thrash around our local outdoor track when my boy and I go there with our Losi 22 2.0 buggy. I think it will fit the bill nicely!

Just one pic to keep me happy till then.......

Name:  IMG_3212.jpg
Views: 1394
Size:  155.3 KB
Yeti.stealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-19-2017, 11:04 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Yeti.stealths RTR Twin Hammers

Here is a lexan body I'm working on for a crawler, sat it on the Hammer just to see how it looks, hmmmm......

Nah! I'm keeping it as a buggy!

Gave it another rip around the backyard, this time on 3s, the V2 rtr has the same esc as my Vaterra Ascender and is rated for 2S and 3s. Was quick enough on 2S, it's a bloody screamer on 3S!!

Name:  IMG_3213.jpg
Views: 1353
Size:  150.1 KB

Name:  IMG_3214.jpg
Views: 1352
Size:  139.7 KB
Old 09-19-2017, 11:30 PM   #3
Slow is the new Fast

Cool body. Would look amazing with a cage
smog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 05:11 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Ordered the scorched parts front end, this will kill two birds with one stone so to speak!
I was about to buy the TH front shocks and cantilevers to put under the rear of my sons Ascender to make room for a drop bed/ tow truck build I'm working on, and I'm sure I would have eventually upgraded the TH to bell crank steering, also would have looked into moving the battery forward and tucking the spare tyre inside rear cage.
So after I fit the scorched parts front end I will have the shocks and cantilevers for the Ascender and be able to do all the other things to the TH.
Old 10-03-2017, 11:00 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Got my parts today, scorched parts front shock mount, bell crank steering and rear axle truss, gmade rsd 80mm shocks along with some China alloy beadlocks and RC4WD IROK tyres that were part of a prize pack I won at the RC4WD Australian Challenge, wheels and tyres will float between my Ascender crawler and TH maybe.

Name:  IMG_3455.jpg
Views: 1190
Size:  178.7 KB

Name:  IMG_3457.jpg
Views: 1188
Size:  180.0 KB
Old 10-03-2017, 11:19 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Thanks Dbx for developing these cool TH upgrade parts!
The custom tuned rsd shock pistons and spacers are attached to the main part, I guess I have to snip them off and clean them up a little?

Any chance you could talk me trough the shock assembly and what pistons, oil you use and where the spacers go please Dbx?

Name:  IMG_3462.jpg
Views: 1163
Size:  123.0 KB
Old 10-05-2017, 12:54 AM   #7

I am using the spacers between the shocks’ upper ball-ends and the holes in the shock tower (the main part). Without spacers the shocks don’t fit well. You’ll need two locking nuts to fit in the rear of the shock tower and a m2.5 screw to join the whole lot. On Shapeways there is a list of needed parts and a picture that kinda shows the assembly process.

Sorry I can’t help you much on the pistons as I use other shocks, but given the material and the fact that the black is only a coating I’d assume that you will need to clean them up.
BumpyRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 02:11 AM   #8
RCC Addict

Thanks BumpyRoad,
I thought the spacers may have been internal shock limiters to prevent the dog bones falling out.
I have seen the list of parts on the shape ways page and read the instructions there too, but I don't remember anything about the spacers.
The shock Pistons supplied are a pair with a single hole and another pair with two holes, guess I will just have to try em out first and see what I like.
Old 10-05-2017, 05:10 AM   #9

No worries!
Here is how I used the provided spacers for my front shocks, maybe with the GMade you won’t need them.
Cheers
BumpyRoad
Attached Images

BumpyRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 02:28 AM   #10
RCC Addict

Thanks for the pic of the spacer location.

Built the shocks and used the scorched parts pistons, trying the 2 hole pistons first with the oil that came with the gmade shock kit.
They feel smooth.

Can't do anything with the truck until after Xmas, then things will kick off. I can replace the front end with the scorched part front end and use left over shocks and levers on my sons Ascender Bronco re build.

Name:  IMG_3725.jpg
Views: 1049
Size:  125.6 KB
Old 10-25-2017, 07:52 AM   #11
Slow is the new Fast

Nice collection of pieces for your build. Those wheels are killer. I did the same thing as BumpyRoad mounting up my King Shocks on the Scorched Parts tower. Don’t recall mine coming with spacers however.
Old 10-25-2017, 10:35 AM   #12
Dbx
Quarry Creeper

I only just saw the above questions - so sorry for the delayed response!

The spacers are for the shock tops as you found.

I found the RSD's worked best for me with the one hole pistons and gmade oil, but I know some more crawler oriented guys prefer really light damping, so I have included the two hole pistons too. Clean the sprues off and they work well.

The spacers and shock pistons have been a recent development, so earlier versions unfortunately didn't have them included - sorry Smog!
Dbx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 01:02 PM   #13
RCC Addict

Thanks Dbx,
I will try them as is for now, I can see it getting more yard bashing and jumping use rather than crawling.
If I don't like how it's handling I will put the single hole pistons in.
Old 10-25-2017, 02:16 PM   #14
Slow is the new Fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbx View Post

The spacers and shock pistons have been a recent development, so earlier versions unfortunately didn't have them included - sorry Smog!
No sweat Dbx. I suspect most of us have handfuls of those things in our left over parts tree drawers. I wasn't inconvenienced in the least.

good idea to put them in though.
Old 01-02-2018, 02:41 AM   #15
RCC Addict

Christmas Day was great! We bashed the TH around the yard, jumped it, put many packs through it, we also managed to kill it on day 1 as well ☹️

It had a few hard front end collisions causing the top plate to break and my son stripped the spur gear going from reverse to forward on the concrete popping wheelies up the driveway!
I also new I wasn't going to enjoy the slow weak steering either.

Time for some upgrades!

Today I fitted the scorched parts front end with bell crank steering, g made shocks, cc Bec set at 7.4 volts and a Savox 1210 servo and a new spur gear, also backed the slipper clutch off about 6 turns, we will run it for a while with the clutch like that and see how it goes.

Name:  IMG_4132.jpg
Views: 926
Size:  165.5 KB

Name:  IMG_4133.jpg
Views: 924
Size:  142.4 KB

I had to disconnect the cc Bec as the servo was glitching, exact same thing happened on my Ascender when I tried to run the same type Savox servo off a cc Bec set at 7.4 volts! I will get it reprogrammed for 6.4v like in my ascenders, buggered if I know why they go all wonky at the higher voltage, says right on the pack they are rated to 7.4volts?

Name:  IMG_4134.jpg
Views: 915
Size:  189.2 KB

Name:  IMG_4136.jpg
Views: 948
Size:  189.0 KB

Think I will try some 500k diff oil in the front diff too, I have read it will still handle good at speed and obviously crawl better.

Name:  IMG_4137.jpg
Views: 897
Size:  181.6 KB

Name:  IMG_4138.jpg
Views: 903
Size:  182.8 KB

Really happy with the bionic steering it has now with a better servo and bell cranks that run on ball bearings!!! Thanks Dbx for developing these parts and putting on shapeways for us all to enjoy 👍😁
Old 01-04-2018, 01:50 AM   #16
RCC Addict

First bash session in the nearby gravel pit! Lotsa fun!
My boy thinks it's great, he loves it.
Stripped out two plastic wheel hub hex's but I had a couple spares to keep us going.
I have 2 Vaterra Ascenders and they have been great, no regrets not getting Ascender kits, but I'm kinda wishing I got the TH kit, already looking for upgraded parts like alloy wheel hub hex's, sway bars, threaded shock bodies etc...and if I ever run it on 3s much I will need steel trans gears....

The damage count so far is 1 spur gear, 1 front upper plate ( front end replaced with scorched parts now ) and 2 plastic hex's.

Here are a few picks from today.

Doughnuts !!!!!

Name:  IMG_4157.jpg
Views: 882
Size:  181.7 KB

Name:  IMG_4174.jpg
Views: 858
Size:  188.7 KB

Name:  IMG_4184.jpg
Views: 859
Size:  192.7 KB

Name:  IMG_4186.jpg
Views: 884
Size:  190.6 KB

Name:  IMG_4188.jpg
Views: 878
Size:  195.2 KB
Old 01-11-2018, 07:03 AM   #17
RCC Addict

How are you liking the shocks? I'm considering a set of these for my GCM front end
Richterat83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 11:56 AM   #18
RCC Addict

I like them, early days but.
Also using the scorched parts shock pistons that come with the upright front end mount.
It jumps and lands well, seems to handle the rough at speed nicely and they haven't leaked yet.

Edit. U will need to use some thick oil with the gmade shock pistons that they come with to get them tuned right. Also can't compare them to the stock TH front shock set up as we broke the front top plate on the first day making the front end flex a lot before the shocks would move!

Last edited by Yeti.stealth; 01-11-2018 at 12:02 PM.
Old 01-11-2018, 03:07 PM   #19
RCC Addict

Upgrades!
Alloy hub hex's, the stock plastic ones had a very short life span at the hands of a 7 year old!

Name:  IMG_4228.jpg
Views: 815
Size:  178.1 KB
Old 02-18-2018, 10:07 PM   #20
RCC Addict

I think I fried the RTR speed controller running it on 3S.

It has been running strong on 2S shorty packs, and every now and then i giv it a rip on some 3s 1800mah packs, lotsa fun! occasionally it will go 'low power' on me way way before the 3s packs are running low.

I gave it a 10min blast on the dunes on 3s and it stopped altogether, got steering and gear shift but no beeps on start up from the ESC and no power to the motor. It didn't smoke or get hot and doesn't smell burnt. I think I will replace it with the Hobbywing 1080 ESC. Its got an extra 20 amps over the RTR ESC plus a few other options built in.

a short vid coming of the TH running on the sand.

Yeti.stealths RTR Twin Hammers - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Yeti.Stealths Ascenders Yeti.stealth Vaterra Ascender 758 08-23-2020 06:39 AM
Yeti.stealths vids. Yeti.stealth Scale Videos! 26 06-19-2020 04:08 AM