Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Venom Creeper

Notices

Thread: nOOb...:)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2010, 07:37 PM   #21
Rock Crawler

Put the motor in now, its a PITA to get in/out when its all assembled.

Looks good otherwise.
madmax22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-25-2010, 07:49 PM   #22
RCC Addict

I hear ya, they recommend you put it in when you start your build, but if you have to change pinion gears or clean and maintain your motor your still screwed
JUSTGOINGSLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 08:20 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by smr View Post
btw don't put EZ Off in crunched up aluminum foil...it apparently burns the foil and creates a very, very, very large smoke bomb....my neighborhood was covered in what may have been deadly gas for about an hour...
that's how I did it. Not sure how that would have happened. did it right in my kitchen on my stove. Took aluminum foil and lined a metal dish with. weird
craigerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 09:02 PM   #24
Pebble Pounder

Keep up all the pics, kinda lets us relive some of the joy in building ours...
ib99rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 04:24 PM   #25
smr
Rock Stacker

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigerk View Post
that's how I did it. Not sure how that would have happened. did it right in my kitchen on my stove. Took aluminum foil and lined a metal dish with. weird
I'm not really sure why it happened? I did use the heavy duty EZ Off? I have the left over burnt scrap in my garage I will shoot a picture later. Maybe there was something in/on the links like an impurity that started it or maybe cheap foil?

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmax22
Put the motor in now, its a PITA to get in/out when its all assembled.

Looks good otherwise.
I haven't assembled the rear axle yet (waiting on FLM locker still) and havent attached chassis plates yet because of that very fact. I completed some soldering last night on the ESC. Will complete the motor wires tonight and install it so I can move forward. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by ib99rt
Keep up all the pics, kinda lets us relive some of the joy in building ours...

I will keep posting pics. I am enjoying the build and by taking pictures is slowing me down to a nice pace. Weather sucks so I would probably be destroying my creeper right now if it was built. Thanks again for comments and feedback.
smr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 02:43 AM   #26
Pebble Pounder

Oh yes we all remember the Venom build. I had numbered bags though so it was not so bad.
The motor mount is a bugger but I have had mine a month and had no reason to pull the motor yet. When i do I will post a thead as to how I intend to remedy theis issue if it is an issue for an creeper owners.
Long bolts will be the key to it.
Simon.O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 02:28 PM   #27

Quote:
I'm not really sure why it happened? I did use the heavy duty EZ Off? I have the left over burnt scrap in my garage I will shoot a picture later. Maybe there was something in/on the links like an impurity that started it or maybe cheap foil?
i also just checked and I used the shaws brand oven cleaner. might be different, cheaper chemicals in the one I used, maybe not so potent.
Old 01-27-2010, 03:11 PM   #28
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Also decided to break in new motor...first time I have ever done the under water break in before. Very interesting.

What is "underwater break-in" aside from the obvious !
CleptoLeptic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 07:30 PM   #29
smr
Rock Stacker

Seating the brushes on a brushed motor. You just hard wire brushed motor to battery of your choice and run it fully submerged. I found that some people run a full c battery or even two C batteries but i found after a little research on brush seating techniques that once you hear a noticeable difference in the rpm speed the brushes should be good to go. Then you clean the motor out with a good motor spray and re oil the bearings/bushings. Its supposed to give a great deal of life to the brushes/motor and good for additional power/torque as well...
Old 01-27-2010, 07:34 PM   #30
smr
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigerk View Post
i also just checked and I used the shaws brand oven cleaner. might be different, cheaper chemicals in the one I used, maybe not so potent.
Well i forgot to take the picture of the foil and the wife threw it away since it obviously looked like garbage... I did the experiment again since the smoke show was well worht it and it is the Heavy Duty EZ Off brand oven cleaner and aluminum foil crunched up and layered. i guess the reaction between layers and the EZ Off creates a battery like effect and enough heat is generate the foil breaks down and actually burns. the smoke is by product of the foil burning and the low temperatures outside when I did test.
Old 01-27-2010, 08:55 PM   #31

Quote:
Well i forgot to take the picture of the foil and the wife threw it away since it obviously looked like garbage... I did the experiment again since the smoke show was well worht it and it is the Heavy Duty EZ Off brand oven cleaner and aluminum foil crunched up and layered. i guess the reaction between layers and the EZ Off creates a battery like effect and enough heat is generate the foil breaks down and actually burns. the smoke is by product of the foil burning and the low temperatures outside when I did test.
lol, ill have to see if I can make it happen. seems worthwhile lol.
Old 01-28-2010, 02:45 PM   #32
smr
Rock Stacker

My FLM lockers arrived yesterday so I could continue with build...thank you William at RCBros and Regina at Fast Lane Machine....they look great.

Laid everything out to build the rear axle on my creeper along with HR axle lockouts. I finished but forgot to take a finished photo. I ran only one of the Hr shims because with two shims the hex pin hole is sucked very close to the lockout..probably too close...

Last edited by smr; 01-28-2010 at 02:50 PM.
Old 01-28-2010, 02:48 PM   #33
smr
Rock Stacker

Default second creeper!!!

on a side note...I started a second creeper kit which was missing a few parts and I started it last night as well (not going to document as it is stock and would look exactly the same as this build ) I had to contact venom and I have to say although I don't have replacement parts yet, Jason replied way faster then I expected and sounds like I should have what I need to finish the second one very soon...
Old 01-28-2010, 10:16 PM   #34
Quarry Creeper

for the beadlocker what size screw were you gonna use i think i should do this with mine.... where you gonna drill new holes or re-use the same ones
sidewaystreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 04:27 AM   #35
Quarry Creeper

Those HR lockouts are very inconsistant....my brother in law had to use both shims on one side and coould use 3 on the other.....very dissapointed with HR in these.
Captaincrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 06:38 PM   #36
smr
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewaystreak View Post
for the beadlocker what size screw were you gonna use i think i should do this with mine.... where you gonna drill new holes or re-use the same ones
I did just like HRDRCKN put in his build. I bought a 2.5x.45mm tap and drill and used 2.5mm x 8mm SH screws. They worked well. i drille the wholes int he bead lock out a little bigger then HRDRCKN just because I didnt have an .093 drill bit (may have size wrong from his post) but they worked wella nd I already had to take the tires off the front wheels and threads held up great (forgot the weights )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captaincrash
Those HR lockouts are very inconsistant....my brother in law had to use both shims on one side and coould use 3 on the other.....very dissapointed with HR in these.
I would agree with this 110%...they are very poorly machined. With machining techniques and equipment as advanced as they are today i would expect a much better fit & finish product. The anodizing scraped off one of mine with my finger nail. One was approximately 7 thousandths longer then other...but in the end they appear to have accomplished what I wanted them for. I will most likely try to avoid HR in future hop-ups when possible though.
Old 02-01-2010, 12:45 PM   #37
smr
Rock Stacker

Well I didnt take as many pictures as I wanted through rest of build as I forgot my camera..here you go...

Finished building axles and started assembling everything together....

Axles mounted to chassis...(and yes motor was in before this point.)

I installed the Venom remote locker servo kit for front axle...I messed this up good and am going to rectify tonight. I messed the cable up pretty good when I wasn't paying attention.

Here is done product...Remote locker isn't working so I tightened up screws on lever until I fix it, its going to run locked...

Sorry bad photo with bag blowing into garage right behind truck...

with Creeper body installed.
Old 02-01-2010, 12:54 PM   #38
smr
Rock Stacker

Default Test Drive...

So I am running FXR with a Pro 45T motor and a 14T Pinion and a 2S 2000MAH Lipo....

Love it....we have a real hokey test setup in my driveway. it was really challenging for a mini crawler on stock tires but for the creeper it was really boring We changed course(laughable) a little and still haven't set anything up it cant go over...friend finished his LCC with a Goats 3S and 21.5T motor and I crawled all over it and he broke a VCD after about five minutes of crawling same line as Creeper...I'm really happy with it...
Old 02-01-2010, 01:23 PM   #39
Pebble Pounder

Unhappy Me too!!!

KIND've jealous of the labels !!!! LOL:-(
im2tall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 05:23 PM   #40
smr
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by im2tall View Post
KIND've jealous of the labels !!!! LOL:-(
The labels were great for those of you who didn't have them...you missed out. Made it a lot easier..

Here's some testing pics on the hokey trailer climb we built...the Rovers are prob the best money I spent. The wood is very slick even dry and its pretty wet in the pics and top of trailer has ice on it...

for the record our test climb is an old Ikea bed and bed slats leaning on my tent trailer. Its very steep and very slick but for some reason its hours of fun...