Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Venom Creeper

Notices

Thread: worth buying it?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2012, 01:07 PM   #1

Default worth buying it?

i was looking forward to get some info guys... i am very tempted to push the buy button on ebay.... but when i talked about the creeper to my frinds they all got a big lol at me! okay they are all axial guys and some runing bergs... and they lough at something that the price tag is half of one of there trucks....

sooo can it compete on any level?
can it be moded to be better?
and is it reliable? any weak points?

i heard that the lock diffs thingy gets busted easily....
xadowbg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-03-2012, 01:32 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: worth buying it?

read the tips and tricks thread. honestly, considering this has a dedicated forum on RCC should be one indicator that it can hold it's own. couple of guys on here comp (and win) with one (highly modded as any comp rig is). my big burly bronco can hold it's own as long as i am not snapping balls off the axle shafts. It is a start rig, an affordable way to get into the hobby with a shafty. there will be upgrades needed down the road, but you will have that with any brand you buy. there is not near the aftermarket support with a creeper as there is say with a SCX10 or wraith, but parts are affordable and a few of us are working on upgrade mods. This whole " it's cost less so it must be less" mind set itself makes me laugh, I just spent Sunday crawling circles around built Axial rigs with a 200 dollar RS10xt built with spare and Chinese knock off parts. As my uncle used to say in his drag racing days, "How much horsepower you got in your paint job $$hole?"
Docwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 04:07 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by xadowbg View Post
i was looking forward to get some info guys... i am very tempted to push the buy button on ebay.... but when i talked about the creeper to my frinds they all got a big lol at me! okay they are all axial guys and some runing bergs... and they lough at something that the price tag is half of one of there trucks....

sooo can it compete on any level?
can it be moded to be better?
and is it reliable? any weak points?

i heard that the lock diffs thingy gets busted easily....
Hahahahahaha... push the button, push the button! The half price tag can be used to keep it half price even after the upgrades wanted to comp it or just beat ur friends, out crawling!

It's what I started with back at the beginning of the season.. upgraded with Rmdw parts an chassis, a dig an comp'd in the pro class an held its own!

It can compete at any level!

It can be modded as far as ur willing to take it! I even modded for xr steering for The last comp..

If ur comping it or crawl hours a day.. aluminum wheels, metal drive shafts(mips), Rovers, shocks..

Weak points.. tires! Drive shafts... Lockers, (you can mighty putty or jb weld them)

Other then that, mod as you go or brake stuff..
winnerone23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:46 PM   #4

that is good to hear that it can hold its own out there hehe.... i will use it mostly for bashing but i will take a challange to compete with it once or twice again not to win but have fun....

so its better just to weld up the diffs right away? and leave them locked?
Old 12-04-2012, 04:33 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

so its better just to weld up the diffs right away? and leave them locked?[/QUOTE]

Yes and Yes!
Old 12-04-2012, 07:35 AM   #6
RCC Addict

i really don't understand why this feature was ever put in. It required extra engineering and man power to make it work ( which is does not do very well at all) and it has no reason to be there, there has never been a time when i thought "On man, i need to unlock that diff". A solid spool should have been in there from the start.
Old 12-04-2012, 08:44 AM   #7

AMEN..... so i def gonna get it know.... so i wil not bother whit the locking unlocking thingy.... and just seal up and lock the diffs like i do on my drift car :P.... i use nitro tubing or hot glue?
Old 12-04-2012, 09:21 AM   #8
RCC Addict

i would use something that will get pretty hard, i would think hot glue would be too pliable. I used J-b weld putty in mine, but that was after i had stripped the teeth off the gear, i think if it had a good set of teeth to setup in it would hold fairly well.
Old 12-04-2012, 06:14 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

You really want to use JB Weld. With enough abuse anything less won't hold. I did mine during the initial assembly.

I put together an axial AX-10, and SCX, and a Wraith before getting a creeper. I can honestly say that the Creeper is just as well designed, with no more weak points than its competition. Even with MIP driveshafts and Aluminum knuckles/C's, your still less than a stock AX that will still need those items.

Ironically enough, on all my Axial builds I end up using almost twenty washers of various sizes throughout the truck to take out play from sloppy factory tolerances. I've found that the newer the kit, the sloppier the fitment, especially the trans shafts/gears and factory ring and pinion..

Meanwhile on my Creeper, I had to mildly shorten the pins on the driveshafts for the retainers to snugly fit over, and lightly sand the shock pistons to ensure smooth operation, polish the CVD housings and pivot barrels to make for smooth full-lock steering, and the CVD pins still get squeezed in gently with pliers, because the factory tolerances are on the tight side. I don't mind doing such things to end up with a bind-free slop-free truck, but a total newb might be put off at those notions.
meatmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:16 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Well written meat monkey! Thumbs-up... I agree with all the above..
I even went one step further with the cvd's that had any slight binding at full lock.. I tested them out of the axles, spinning them fully locked.. if there was any bind, I had a pin sized diamond coated dremel bit, I ran it in the cvd the same way the pin would be in there an ran it to slightly extend the pivot point.. then cleaned an put back together for testing, repeating if needed till it rotated smoothly at full lock..
These little tricks not only get you smoother steering but less binding an longer cvd life span..
Old 12-05-2012, 06:23 AM   #11

Thanks for all the tips guys. I ordered the red kit to stand out from the green axial guys.
Old 12-05-2012, 04:04 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Guess I need to go hunting for this small diamond coated cylindrical bit. All my carbide bits at work are far too large.

Just to be clear, it's the outer side of the ball that needs to be clearanced? Or does both sides of the slot have to be opened up?

I noticed that hangup too, but wasn't quite sure where to clearance it. Now that I'll understand where the contact is, I really want to remedy it.
meatmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:57 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

I believe I did some pics in my build thread of it, but wouldn't be able to tell you where.. ill grab the bit a a spare cvd an post a pic..
Old 01-01-2013, 11:42 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Any updates? Hows it doing? Any issues building it? Would it be good as trail rig (which is where my personal interest lies ;) )?

I ask because I'm a) getting back into the hobby after 7-8 years away,b) never had a crawler/trail rig,and c) never built a kit either (or did much of my own wrenching back in the day ).

Good thread,BTW,helped me decide to order one myself (assuming the last one in the auction I found doesn't sell before payday...and the Wife doesn't catch the order,teeheehee ).

Thanks in advance

Last edited by The DC; 01-01-2013 at 11:47 PM.
The DC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 07:49 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DC View Post
Any updates? Hows it doing? Any issues building it? Would it be good as trail rig (which is where my personal interest lies ;) )?

I ask because I'm a) getting back into the hobby after 7-8 years away,b) never had a crawler/trail rig,and c) never built a kit either (or did much of my own wrenching back in the day ).

Good thread,BTW,helped me decide to order one myself (assuming the last one in the auction I found doesn't sell before payday...and the Wife doesn't catch the order,teeheehee ).

Thanks in advance

"lol" Iv been into R/C for years I just pulled the plug on my first crawler I ended up going with the creeper just for the fact it came in a kit I know there is other kits out there but Im a car guy and like to put things togther. and it is a tryed and true desigh according to the fourms and research I have done on it.
5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 08:11 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

I vote for buy now! You will be able to do everything that an Axial can, and if your modifying it then it ill be able to do more. I highly recommend upgrading your steering servo, tires, foams and wheel weights, upper 4 link axle plates, VCD's and driveshaft's, Behind the axle steering (BTA), Front and rear lockers, Atomik chassis skid plate, HR lockouts and front steering components, and the body and chassis of your choosing; and you'll have a Creeper all your friends will want. I know the list looks like a lot but parts are super cheap and don't add up to much. Trust me they are just plain cool! Lots of cool custom modifications you can do very easily! And now Venoms aftermarket hop up parts by Atomik offer almost every mod you need. So it would all be factory, which is just awesome!
legion1capone is offline   Reply With Quote

worth buying it? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Are these worth buying bowtieuser Electronics 5 02-02-2012 03:34 AM
Is this worth buying? RC4wd CopperHeads WestTxRc General Crawlers 4 11-22-2011 01:06 PM
is this worth buying? team savage Newbie General 30 07-12-2010 06:47 AM
Worth buying new? Neeley Traxxas Crawlers 7 02-07-2009 04:02 PM