Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Venom Creeper

Notices

Thread: cross over parts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2013, 05:53 PM   #1

Default cross over parts

what parts can cross over to the creeper?
I have been looking around the forums and other sites, cant really find anything definitive with out major moding, so I thought it was time to see what the experts have to say.
looking to see what fits what by whom?
things like lock outs, chubs, knuckles, gears, axles, servo mounts, etc. etc.....
lilypadjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-11-2013, 07:31 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: cross over parts

All the stuff that crosses over are in build posts, in the tips and tricks thread as well as good stuff just scattered about. You can fit a bunch of other brand items in the axles, but it takes some thinking and reading in here to do it. I am not a pro, but I do seem to break things.
Exocaged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 08:06 PM   #3

there are soooo many awesome builds on here.
I have done tons of reading, and yes there are bits and pieces of cross over part info all over the place, I was hoping to get a lot of it together in one spot so other wouldn't have to search for hours(days) like I have been.
I have read so much on here that I am losing track of it all, and were I found it. rmdw t&t have been the biggest help, wish I found it before I built my creeper, but I did make some changes on it from the t&t and made it better.
Old 04-11-2013, 08:12 PM   #4

I am no pro, just someone that like to play. and I am good at breaking things, part of why I am looking into some of the cross over stuff.
Old 04-11-2013, 08:24 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Hmm.. Cross over parts without modding.... Tuff one, for the creeper..

Ctbm did delrin tubes for xr steering an axial ring an pinion gears for od/ud option. But you had to work the able housing pretty good on one side to get it to work an something else in the other side..

I did xr chubs an knuckles on mine last year pretty easy, but you have to cut the xr universals to length an grind them to fit in the locker. (well worth it to not break any more cvd's...)

Some guys went with a axial tranny. You have to make a skid work..

When you break a cvd, don't throw it away. Find someone that can weld, make a jig an weld it straight. Replace it in the rear an use the rear cvd in the front..

Go with mip drive shafts.. Way more effective and cheaper in the long run! Scx length..

I did some other good stuff to my creeper, in my thread, all documented with pics an explained.. Its every Rmdw t an t, and then some.. Less pages too.. Lol..
winnerone23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 11:40 PM   #6

winner, you have an awesome rig and a great build thread, I have gone over it a few times.
the xr chubs and knuckles is a good mod and trimming the universals is easy, that's what I am after, little bit of work is fine, I don't want to have to rework a housing to fit axial r&p's, its kinda like reinventing the wheel.
I have a couple short axail shafts from a scx that I can fit when the time comes, they seem close and from what I have read they will work with a lil bit of work.
rite now I am looking for an alternative to the hr lock outs, cant seem to find them anywhere and would like something a lil diferent,
Old 04-12-2013, 04:37 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

On the ring and pinion. If you could post up a few good clear shots of the pinion we can tell if its the good strong ones or the ones that aren't so great. Does your kit have the red keepers on the cvd's? If so you probably have the weaker gears. I would take some time and shim the pinion towards the ring gear. It helps some.
Old 04-12-2013, 08:44 PM   #8

There's nothing wrong with my r&p, I was just using that as an example, being that I don't want to rework an entire part like the axle housing just to fit an axial r&p in it, i would just get the axial housings. (and this is just me, some thing I love to redo and change and other things I don't want to go as far with. guess it depends on my overall plans, which I don't really have one for the creeper as of yet, its a fight for time between the honey do novel and house renos and my classic car, and work which keeps me away all week, and life, n so on, n so on.......)
yes my creeper has the red pin retaining rings on the axle shafts, and I did check for movement to see if I had to shim the pinion, seemed to be good and snug.
i bought it beginning of 2012, don't really have any pics of it yet, there on my list.
now I didn't know the newer models had a not so good r&p, from what I have read, the axle shafts have gottin better, thought it would all follow suite, guess not
Old 04-13-2013, 01:25 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

I have had 2 creepers, the version before the red rings and the newer one like you have. The red rings are awesome and work much better then the older ones, but like yours, mine had a weak pinion. The older one had the good strong pinion. This is why I asked. If you stay with a mild 45-55t motor and ~7-8 volts on battery then hopefully you won't have any issues.

Brushless/3S battery will break stuff. Starting with driveshafts and pinions.
Old 04-15-2013, 07:39 AM   #10

anyone ever run 3 s on the creeper trans put one in my sons safari and keeps blowing tranny dont think tranny cant handle it or maybe something off in trannt aS IVE READ ABOUT SOMETIMES THE PARTS ARENT MILLED CORRECTLY OR SOMETHING,THANKS
Billadelphia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 08:45 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billadelphia View Post
anyone ever run 3 s on the creeper trans put one in my sons safari and keeps blowing tranny dont think tranny cant handle it or maybe something off in trannt aS IVE READ ABOUT SOMETIMES THE PARTS ARENT MILLED CORRECTLY OR SOMETHING,THANKS
Myself and one other club member both run 3s in our creepers and have had no problems with the tranny gears.
ratterd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 11:04 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

Quote:

What gear in the trans are you killing? Got any pics of the messed up gear?
Old 04-15-2013, 11:58 AM   #13
RCC Addict

I just swapped out my tranny and only because I ran a longer screw in from the bottom and tore up an idler gear.
Docwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 11:26 AM   #14
RCC Addict

Man, Atomik needs to let us know what the plan is. I built my dads rig with Creeper axels just to get it up and going, mock up mostly. we took it out last weekend and ran it for about 30 minutes and tore a ball off a axle shaft, front left. these shafts are just terrible!
Old 04-26-2013, 05:56 PM   #15

I just picked up a pair of wraith lower Machined Hi-Clearance Links. I think they r part AX30469.
look like they will be a nice fit. will get them put in and see, soon I hope
Old 04-29-2013, 11:03 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Mmm, I ran lots of 3s thru my creeper.. MIP front drive shaft, dig, an ran it in the pro class at comps..

Like docwolf said, make sure you don't gave a screw up thru ur tranny.. depending on what gear it is
Old 04-29-2013, 11:13 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docwolf View Post
Man, Atomik needs to let us know what the plan is. I built my dads rig with Creeper axels just to get it up and going, mock up mostly. we took it out last weekend and ran it for about 30 minutes and tore a ball off a axle shaft, front left. these shafts are just terrible!
A little work to the CVD ball an they will last longer.. the bump out where the pin goes thru is what breaks them. I always took mine apart an took a tiny diamond coated dremel bit, bout the size of the pin, an ran it thru the slots, opening them up long ways. Till you can put bit back together and they spin freely 360° without bumping out. No bind, no break.. then again I have had them break driving in a straight line.. lol
Old 04-30-2013, 09:12 AM   #18
RCC Addict

I will look into that.
Old 04-30-2013, 09:15 AM   #19
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnerone23 View Post
Mmm, I ran lots of 3s thru my creeper.. MIP front drive shaft, dig, an ran it in the pro class at comps..

Like docwolf said, make sure you don't gave a screw up thru ur tranny.. depending on what gear it is

I am curios as to what gear it is. if it is the spur, what pinions are you using? I need to get a 20t long pinion for mine, the gears have a ton of surface area and should take far more abuse then a metal gears axial trans.
Old 07-15-2013, 10:47 AM   #20
RCC Addict

just got this on my facebook in response to me asking if there was any news about the creepers predecessor

"Here's a quote direct from our Director of Sales and Marketing: "No long term decsion has been made regarding the Creeper project." That's LITERALLY the only news I've got. I wish I had more. Sorry Adam."

so....yeah.

cross over parts - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cross Reference Parts smashmetal Venom Creeper 31 04-11-2013 08:01 PM
Cross over parts?? Drifter_X Axial Wraith 5 07-26-2011 02:17 PM