Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Regional > Southeast > West Virginia

Notices

Thread: Hurricane Hills Crawler Park

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2011, 09:37 AM   #61
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainSafety View Post
Can you reccommend me a good brushed setup on my new LCC? i had planned on using a rooster and integy 55t. i've never worked with the worm gears so i need all the advice i can get.

or should i put the lathe with the scx10? or the tlt axles 6x6 i'm building?

BTW, i still have the HPS RS4 mini pro i got from breadman a long time ago if anyone wants to buy it. I remember you saying he wanted to buy it back a while ago
Stay away from brushed in the LCC until EddieO releases the axle buster. Its the only brushed motor Ive seen do the LCC justice. I got to see the prototype motor run in EeePee's truck on Sunday in Ohio and it was sick. Those trucks need HP and RPM. I run a Epic 17.5 brushless on 3 cells in mine. Dont expect to get axial type run times out of it either. Its a comp truck and that's what it's built for. If you have your heart set on running a brushed motor in it, pony up and buy a handwound 35t from brood or holmes hobbies. The trick to running them is treat every run like its a comp. 5 or 6 minutes at a time or you WILL cook it. I smoked a lot of motors finding that out. You also HAVE to do regular maintenance (cutting the comm) to make it last. Drill the axle housings for a grease port and grease the worms every 2-3 runs.

The 55t is super slow in a SCX10 with 1.9s. I would go with a 27-35t in it. The 55t motors are really better suited to 2.2s where the tall tires help with the gearing a little bit. Anymore, I find 55s to be too slow for my liking, but I'm also used to a 2.2 scaler on a built 35t running 3 cells. I did run my stick chassis'd ax10 with a 55t on 3 cells last summer and it was alright.
killswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-2011, 11:16 AM   #62
Pebble Pounder

Ok. I have a dirtinator d2 around here and a venom 15x2. Looks like the d2 will go in the scx with the rooster. What about the Rc4wd outcry combo for the LCC? http://store.rc4wd.com/Outcry-High-P...m-_p_1296.html

Decent deal unless you can recommend a better one.
CaptainSafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 01:40 PM   #63
RCC Addict

Quote:
Ok. I have a dirtinator d2 around here and a venom 15x2. Looks like the d2 will go in the scx with the rooster. What about the Rc4wd outcry combo for the LCC? http://store.rc4wd.com/Outcry-High-P...m-_p_1296.html

Decent deal unless you can recommend a better one.
wont work. Its sensorless and you need a sensored setup in the losi or any crawler for that matter. It also has a delay going into reverse... not what you want in a comp truck. I got a good deal on a tekin RS and 17.5 for about 170 bucks. If I was going to buy new, Id look into the castle mambamax pro (RPP has it for $104) or the mambamax pro 1 cell version (it doesnt have an internal BEC or fan but will still handle up to 6 lipo cells) and a sensored 17.5. If you look for good deals, you could get that kind of setup for about $170-$180. Plus, if you are thinking about going with the brood motor when it comes out in March, I think the MMP is the way to go for it too. I always run an external BEC to power my steering servos and highly recommend the same. I'm going to finally break down and take some pics of my ride soon so you can see how mine is setup.

What wind is in the D2? Rooster will only handle down to a 27t I think.
Old 01-21-2011, 04:54 PM   #64
Pebble Pounder

Not sure about the d2. I got it from you like 7 years ago lol. I'll just pony up and get the mmp. I also need a decent 2.4 radio with 3rd channel EPA. Any suggestions? Something I can use across several models.

Last edited by CaptainSafety; 01-21-2011 at 04:57 PM.
Old 01-21-2011, 05:04 PM   #65
RCC Addict

i use futaba thats my taste. few of the guys use dx3's
PhantomRS10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 05:21 PM   #66
Pebble Pounder

Well my cart at rpp is now 355 lol. Gerr need funds
Old 01-21-2011, 05:36 PM   #67
RCC Addict

It happens man... I prefer KO radios, but I have been partial to them for about 10 years. Only drawbacks to the KO are the cost of receivers and no channel mixing (which I have no use for but if I ever went MOA I'll probably miss). A lot of people like the spektrum stuff and the shops around here usually stock receivers. I've seen a lot of trucks being sold as bind n drive with spektrum RXs lately too. Futaba FASST system is nice too. That D2 is probably too much motor for crawling but the can and endbell can be used with a different arm.
Old 01-21-2011, 06:51 PM   #68
RCC Addict

Kody, I posted a thread for my truck in the LCC section and on RCWV. Check it out and fire away if you have any other questions. I'm glad someone else is gonna be running a LCC around here. It'll be nice to have someone to share/compare setup tips with.

Last edited by killswitch; 01-21-2011 at 07:41 PM.
Old 01-22-2011, 08:18 AM   #69
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by killswitch View Post
Kody, I posted a thread for my truck in the LCC section and on RCWV. Check it out and fire away if you have any other questions. I'm glad someone else is gonna be running a LCC around here. It'll be nice to have someone to share/compare setup tips with.
Thanks bud. Its Cody btw ;) Anyway once mine comes in we'll have to get together.
Old 01-22-2011, 08:29 AM   #70
RCC Addict

Quote:
Thanks bud. Its Cody btw ;) Anyway once mine comes in we'll have to get together.
I thought that's how you spelled your name, but then you went by Kodster on the other site so I thought I was crazy... LOL
Old 01-22-2011, 08:55 AM   #71
Pebble Pounder

Kodster ain't me bud ;). I'm either captainsafety or mrgoat.

Anyway. Once I get the cash for this old school Nikko Thor im gonna order a mmp , ballistic 17.5, and Futaba 3pl
Old 01-22-2011, 09:11 AM   #72
RCC Addict

I'll be damned. Completely thought you were Kodster on the RCWV.info forum. You are the Cody that used to roll in the purple Honda with the white interior and run around with ol' Jimmy from WV hobbys, right?
Old 01-22-2011, 09:18 AM   #73
RCC Addict

That be him

Kodster on the rcwv forum i think hes like 14ish or somewhere around that
PhantomRS10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 09:22 AM   #74
RCC Addict

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Go me!!!
Old 01-22-2011, 10:27 AM   #75
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by killswitch View Post
I'll be damned. Completely thought you were Kodster on the RCWV.info forum. You are the Cody that used to roll in the purple Honda with the white interior and run around with ol' Jimmy from WV hobbys, right?

deff wrong cody. lol kodster on there is matt frames son. like reed said hes 13-14. good kid. hes been crawling with us a few times.

and by the way, i built the hydraulics, and slidding top on that purple honda accord in my shop. lol thats how me and captinsaftey met. lots of good times back then.
jbeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 10:28 AM   #76
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Kodster ain't me bud ;). I'm either captainsafety or mrgoat.

Anyway. Once I get the cash for this old school Nikko Thor im gonna order a mmp , ballistic 17.5, and Futaba 3pl

cody,,, you will get to meet kody this spring, cause he will deff be down to crawl with us.

oh and by the way, why arent you on wvmotorsports.com ???
Old 01-22-2011, 11:39 AM   #77
Pebble Pounder

I am. My handle is mrgoat on there. It's ok James. Yeah that was me in the Honda. And beane did the hydraulics.

I made some progress cleaning out the garage today. Hopefully we can start placing stone in a few weeks. I've decided instead of getting large boulders I am going to make them with chicken wire and foam. Anyone have experience with that? I figure we can make a few of those and the fill in around with a few ton of large riprap.

Looks like it'll be a few weeks till I'm ready for stone
Old 01-22-2011, 12:13 PM   #78
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
I am. My handle is mrgoat on there. It's ok James. Yeah that was me in the Honda. And beane did the hydraulics.

I made some progress cleaning out the garage today. Hopefully we can start placing stone in a few weeks. I've decided instead of getting large boulders I am going to make them with chicken wire and foam. Anyone have experience with that? I figure we can make a few of those and the fill in around with a few ton of large riprap.

Looks like it'll be a few weeks till I'm ready for stone

dont have to much experiance, but have lots of ideas. its deff a better idea to just use cinderblocks, and or wood, to build it up or frame it up for the elevation and then place the rock on that.

let me know, and i'll meet ya and we'll go buy some rock.
Old 01-22-2011, 04:04 PM   #79
Pebble Pounder

Ok. I hope you have some block handy cause there expensive now! I have some wood we can use to frame things. Here in a few weeks well have a BBC (beer, build, and crawl) day here. Let's tentatively plan on the first BBC event on feb 5
Old 01-22-2011, 04:10 PM   #80
Pebble Pounder

Oh and I just ordered a mamba max pro and Novak ballistic 17.5 from rpp