Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Regional > Midwest > Wisconsin

Notices

Thread: Southern Wisconsin in October

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2005, 05:41 PM   #21
I wanna be Dave

Hell ya come on over. PM me or Mnster for meeting up details.
Cole82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-20-2005, 06:25 PM   #22
MWRCA'er

Yeah you could make this trip into a weekend getaway vacation, Wisconsin Dells is just 3 miles away.
Mnster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 08:56 PM   #23

sorry guys mines still on layaway ive gotten my hours cut down at work so im having a hard enough time affording the real jeep.
JeepTJLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 10:35 AM   #24
MWRCA'er

Man I guess I broke two steering knuckles when out crawling last time. I am changing the truck around a bit before the trip. I made new shock mounts last night the old ones cracked and bent off. I'm changing my steering setup completely I'm going BTA in the front and dual servos for the rear. I was going to get a new body to match the new wheels and tires but funds are tight with college. I've got alot of other repairs to go and parts to buy.

I hope the leafs won't cover the rocks up to bad. I've never been to Devils lake in October or with more than one person. I don't know where you guys want to crawl. I think maybe just start near the parking lot and make our way down to the lake. If we have lots of battery run time I'd almost like to try the hardcore hiking trail, its a hard long walk to the top but has some good areas and views at the top. I'll have two chargers pluged into dads car and I'll bring a butt load of tools.

Also on the 22nd I'm having a real truck offroad get together at Lake Geneva Wi with my Nissan 4x4 club and a Jeep club if anyone is interested.
Old 09-22-2005, 04:17 PM   #25
I wanna be Dave

Sounds like big plans for your stick.
I just purchased a txt-1 so that will come out there too.
I habve no idea of where the rocks are so you are the tour guide.

Big trucks are hella fun.
Attached Images

Old 09-22-2005, 05:12 PM   #26
MWRCA'er

I enjoy it.

We have like 16 days till the GTG should be fun. I guess I can't do the behind axle steering it gets in the way of the links and front shock so I'll just beef it up some. There is a good hobby shop in Madison if you guys need anything on the way.
Old 09-22-2005, 09:45 PM   #27
MWRCA'er

I re read your post, you bought a TXT-1 sweet! What's your plans for build?
Old 09-23-2005, 08:37 AM   #28
Rock Stacker

Where is the Hobby shop in Madison? I yellowbook.com'ed it but came up with a few WTF's.

If I knew how, I post up pics of my 1:1 tubed jeep/chevy half-breed crawler (under construction) and my daily drivers.

Painted the spare TXT body and rearranged my servo mounts to get rid of some slop last night, just need to do some little things and I'm ready.
Greg
Halfj-7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005, 09:06 AM   #29
MWRCA'er

The hobby shop is R/c performance and hobby. They are only based on R/c stuff which is good. They like most shops are mostly race truck based. But if you need things like motor brushes, hex wrenches, XTM servos, a body or some tires its a good place to go. They don't stock Tamiya parts, I just stop in there before I go just to get me warmed up to drive r/c's and pick up a few pieces. Map quest will direct you to follow rural highways after visiting the hobby shop. I would recomend
just hopping back on the freeway the as rural seems longer. The hobby shop is directly off the freeway you'll see it on the right after the ramp. If you want we could even possibly meet at the hobby store then you could follow me to Baraboo.

Here is a LINK
Old 09-23-2005, 10:40 AM   #30
I wanna be Dave

That's fine by me meeting at the LHS.
The TXT is going to be more of a basher than a crawler. Like a trail truck.
I bought moabs and adapters today also.
The BTA steering is giving me problems. The turning radius is reduced beacuse it's hitting the links. The chassis is hitting the gear box also. I've got some problems to sort out.
Old 09-23-2005, 10:49 AM   #31
MWRCA'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole82
That's fine by me meeting at the LHS.
The TXT is going to be more of a basher than a crawler. Like a trail truck.
I bought moabs and adapters today also.
The BTA steering is giving me problems. The turning radius is reduced beacuse it's hitting the links. The chassis is hitting the gear box also. I've got some problems to sort out.
Yeah that was my main problem with the BTA steering, the turning radius.
Congrats on the Moabs I still have not tried mine out yet (I'm waiting on parts) they seem very sticky.

Yeah we could meet at the LHS, what time? 11:00? If it's to early let me know you guys are driving farther then me.

Last edited by Mnster; 09-23-2005 at 10:53 AM.
Old 09-23-2005, 11:06 AM   #32
I wanna be Dave

11:00 works for me
What about you halfj-7?
I'm waiting on bender's adapters to try them out.
Old 09-23-2005, 03:54 PM   #33
Rock Stacker

I was thinking of stopping at a LHS on my way. Sounds good to me. I'll be there at 11:00.
Man, I thought the 8th was next weekend....gotta wait another week. Oh well, gives me time to install the new servo and stuff I just ordered.
Also, if I get up early enough, I was gonna scout out around Starved Rock state park. Been a couple years, but seems like there was lots of large rock formations on one of the trails near a parking area. And some 100' drop offs too....
Greg
Old 09-23-2005, 09:35 PM   #34
MWRCA'er

I might check out the Starved rock area sometime, I was going to scout the area but I saw on the web they seem like tree huggers stay on the trail, stay off rocks, ect. so I didn't bother yet. There is this awesome moab like place near my town but it's all fenced off with stairs over the rocks. You can't touch the rocks with a ten foot pole, what fun is that? Illinois seems real over protective of all the good rock places.

I'd still really like to check it out sometime I'm not to far way from that park.
http://dnr.state.il.us/lands/landmgt...ark.htm#Hiking
Old 09-25-2005, 12:16 AM   #35
MWRCA'er

My Clod is still in parts but my Brother came home today and striped his Clod he made a new chassis similar to the Widdler chassis.
Old 09-25-2005, 07:35 AM   #36
I wanna be Dave

I finally finished the fab work. Now it's grinder time. Then a coat of flat black paint. I've got an idea for steering links. Going to post it in General crawler.
The widdler is cool lots of under chassis clearance with a 4 link.
Old 09-25-2005, 11:08 PM   #37
MWRCA'er

Yeah lots of mild upgrading going on. My Brother and I went to the Flat irons place in Colorado about 2 months ago and they smoked us bad, we were no threat to them at all. Thats why my Brother started over fresh and why I bought Moabs. I'm waiting on my Y- harness for the dual rear servos and my knuckles. Then I'll give it a durability test and be done and ready. I went to the LHS today and bought supplys for my Brothers Clod and ordered another alum servo arm. A guy that works at my LHS wants some pictures of crawlers to show customers and hang in the store. People have came into the store asking where they can buy a rock crawler. I guess they have seen me out crawling around at one of the nearby parks. ;)

Cool idea with the spring steel links, I just use 1/4 solid alum rod with 6/32 studs no problems yet. I was jumping full speed down the stairs at Devils lake and landed directly link first on a little ax shaped rock that was sticking up. I toasted the knuckle the but the link survives.
Old 09-29-2005, 10:53 PM   #38
MWRCA'er

It's next weekend! None of my parts have came yet though.
Old 09-30-2005, 05:58 AM   #39
Rock Stacker

No parts here either. Ordered them last friday from Tower, supposably I clicked the el cheapo shipping, ie US Postal. Burned up one servo the other night, gotta have that replacement. Oh and my stickers for the new body, gotta have some bling too.
Old 09-30-2005, 06:54 AM   #40
I wanna be Dave

Here is the progress. I've got all the parts but the wheel adapters hopeing to see them today.
Attached Images