Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Competitions and Events > WRCCA > WRCCA Rules

Notices

Thread: Judged Roll Overs - Let's discuss why?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2015, 07:54 PM   #61
RCP CRAWLERS

Default Re: Judged Roll Overs - Let's discuss why?

All said and done ... comp crawling ... is still the most challenging fun I've ever had.
ZoSo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-07-2015, 08:36 AM   #62
RCC Addict

I think a competitive shafty (2.2S) could be made at an affordable price. Not a grand prize winner, but also not a limiting factor for the less experienced driver.

I've got an LCC that I think is good enough. The key upgrades I've made and that could be done for RTR:
  • Strong steering servo. (Weak part for most RTR. Add $10-20.)
  • Front axle overdrive. (Major improvement. No added cost if large quantities.)
  • Knuckle weights. (Should be much cheaper when mass produced.)
  • Battery plate on the upper links. (No cost added.)
  • Better tires and foams. (Add $10-20.)
  • Lighter body. (No cost added.)
  • Separate BEC to feed the servo. (Add $3-5.)
  • Brushless motor. Not required for axles with regular gears, to expensive for RTR.
I'd say about $50 extra for a competition ready 2.2S RTR compared to what's available today. (Battery excluded. Needs a smaller LiPo instead of NiMH stick-pack.)

The problem with RTR is to keep the design up-to date as the technology evolves. The LCC was competition worthy when it first hit the shelves. Now it's not (out of box), and therefore it's discontinued.

Last edited by Olle P; 01-13-2015 at 01:14 AM. Reason: Added front axle overdrive.
Olle P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 07:56 AM   #63
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Keeping a vehicle competitive would be extremely hard if not impossible, the little guys that put in the daily grind on the rocks just improve too fast. It takes 2 to 3 months for an order to be filled at a toy factory, in that time a lot can change. Any plastic molds are pretty much fixed and take 1000s of vehicles to pay off. So the class for an rtr to fit into needs to be written for that rtr if we want to give manufacturers a safe haven to fill.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 03:21 PM   #64
2013 2.2P Nat. Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoSo View Post
This sport (Cult) is not for the pleasure crawlers, it takes practice, dedication and money.
Rerrand!

J
SkaldidDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 01:03 AM   #65
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
Keeping a vehicle competitive would be extremely hard if not impossible, the little guys that put in the daily grind on the rocks just improve too fast. ...
I understand what you're getting at but disagree with the conclusion.

* It's the guys that improve quickly, not the trucks.
* The rules regarding vehicle design haven't changed much over the past five years, and I don't expect major changes any time soon.
* A truck that was good enough to not impede a competing rookie driver a couple of years back will still be okay.
* Even if moulds (mainly body, chassis, links and axles) needs to be used for a large series to pay off, the other parts (tires, electronics and such) can be replaced to make updated editions of the rig if/when required. That should extend the longevity of the model.
Olle P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 07:09 AM   #66

I do agree that the rules have been stationary long enough that a manufactured kit should have a chance. A set of axles and a pile of cf and standoffs could make the grade. But the drivers that make such advances are also the people that make parts these days, or at least work closely with a person that makes parts. It's basically a small pond with small fish, and no large fish want to enter because there isn't enough food to go around.

Rc4wd and the bully axles are the latest/ last options that make building a 2.2p possible.

Great discussion, loving the thoughts and comments.
Old 01-12-2015, 08:23 AM   #67
I wanna be Dave

I have been spending some time thinking about RC Crawling and where it has progressed to. One thing that has been an issue is that some rules; no matter how well intended have excluded the rc companies. Without them we will continue to shrink. If this segment of RC is to continue we might have to reevaluate our relationships or reestablish one with all of the larger manufacturers. Just my thoughts and concerns I have heard.

John
Jslick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 11:04 AM   #68

Absolutely. That is really the crux of why I decided to take the USRCCA rules over. We won't be able to modify existing Comp classes to help in the short term much, but looking forwards everything will certainly be structured with the ability to get readily available parts. Injecting some usrcca classes into scale comps will also help all the new drivers see what else is out there. I think the amateur judging style will greatly facilitate this, since it won't put any additional judging requirements onto the hosts.
Old 01-12-2015, 11:16 AM   #69
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jslick View Post
I have been spending some time thinking about RC Crawling and where it has progressed to. One thing that has been an issue is that some rules; no matter how well intended have excluded the rc companies. Without them we will continue to shrink. If this segment of RC is to continue we might have to reevaluate our relationships or reestablish one with all of the larger manufacturers. Just my thoughts and concerns I have heard.

John
So what you're saying is grab a manufacturer (traxxas for example) and create a comp class along side a new rc model?

Sounds interesting. .......
Curcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 12:35 PM   #70
RCC Addict

Keep the rules as-is. They are about the simplest set of rules ever. If one can pass a test for a drivers license then understanding comp rules is easy.

If anything, make a "stock" class where only ect, ect, can b used.
KBrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 12:48 PM   #71
MODERATOR™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curcal View Post
Sounds interesting. .......
Sounds like the Losi MRC class. I mean 1.9...
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote

Judged Roll Overs - Let's discuss why? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discuss losikid Chit Chat 19 08-18-2011 05:52 AM
Discuss JasonInAugusta Chit Chat 191 09-06-2008 03:00 PM
Tubers & Roll-Overs K_Willis General Crawlers 18 04-06-2008 07:34 AM
Project: NO ROLL... (shafty without torque roll!) Update 1/20. JakeDaSnake General Crawlers 28 01-30-2005 12:55 PM