~THE SCALE SHOP~

dude that looks so sweet!!!!!!!!!!!!
STANG KILLA SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-02-2009, 12:34 PM   #22
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyelk View Post
Hey, thatīs a good looking TJ (the little one )
Nice work on the details - Iīm only a bit concerned about your side guards "just" connected to the body and not to the frame - hopefully it works!
Keep up the good work!
Thanks! I hope they hold up, too. I guess time will tell...
Tommy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 12:35 PM   #23
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by STANG KILLA SS View Post
dude that looks so sweet!!!!!!!!!!!!
Coming from you, Cory, that's a heck of a compliment. Thanks!!
Old 11-02-2009, 12:52 PM   #24
Quarry Creeper

Is your rear axle mounted at a different angle? the rear shocks look angled forward alot. this might be why you get good flex out of it..... by the way looks very good
BansheeManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 04:57 PM   #25
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by BansheeManiac View Post
Is your rear axle mounted at a different angle? the rear shocks look angled forward alot. this might be why you get good flex out of it..... by the way looks very good
The rear coilovers are intentionally mounted at an angle to mimic a real TJ that's been converted to coilovers. No real reason other than that.
Old 11-02-2009, 05:00 PM   #26
I wanna be Dave

Nice Jeep!
justinart24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 06:10 AM   #27
I wanna be Dave

Very Nice job. But I cant believe you tore the F350 down. I just got done showing my wife the rig. Went through your other post and saw this one.
Rockcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 06:23 AM   #28
I wanna be Dave

Thanks! But I just didn't like the width of the axles relative to the body (too wide) and I just wanted a Jeep to match my 1:1, I guess.
Old 11-03-2009, 06:27 AM   #29
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy R View Post
Thanks! But I just didn't like the width of the axles relative to the body (too wide) and I just wanted a Jeep to match my 1:1, I guess.

Yeah, I agree with that. TLT's would have been nice though.
Rockcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 07:18 AM   #30
I wanna be Dave

Yep! And I have some, but they're going on a 6x6 or 8x8 trials truck.
Old 11-04-2009, 06:55 AM   #31
I wanna be Dave

No pics or videos, but I got it running last night with the Slash motor and 15T pinion.

The bad:
It doesn't crawl as slowly as I want. I need to at least drop the pinion down a tooth or two, but more important.y, I need to re-tune the curves on my ESC (Sidewinder).

The battery doesn't last nearly as long as it did with the 55T motor. I got approx. 30 minutes out of it, but that also involved a LOT of wide open launches and even some donuts on my garage floor. ;)

I had one "tube" detach from the body a bit. I clamped and re-glued it last night. We'll see how it holds.

There's no good place to pic up the truck now when it rolls or needs to be re-positioned since the sliders attach to the body and that's what I'm used to grabbing. That's a big no-no now! But the sliders held up to some abuse last night so that's good.

The shorter wheelbase does hurt on some climbs and the high center of gravity (cg) makes it very top heavy and it rolls over backwards on climbs fairly frequently. I may just be too used to the F-350 body which had a low cg and lots of forward weight.

The good:
It performs very well! It even torque twists less....on the trail AND on hard launches on pavement. I think the lower ride height may have played a part in that.

The approach and departure angles are great, but will get worse after I add bumpers/winch/etc.

It is capable of climbing some sheer walls better than I thought, but as mentioned you have to be careful because it may rollover backwards.

The shorter wheelbase helps with breakover angles a lot, despite the lowered height. That was a pleasant surprise.

The suspension works quite well with regards to flex and so forth. Very pleased with it and for now I will wait before I limit any suspension travel. I'm thinking I'll need it from time to time to make up for the shorter wheelbase.

Not sure what kind of time I'll have over the next week or so to get videos, but I'll try to get some pics for y'all soon....
Old 11-11-2009, 07:53 AM   #32
I wanna be Dave

Well, I've decided against the Slash motor. The reason is fairly simple. It just doesn't offer enough finite low speed control. And it's accentuated by its lack of torque. In some tough spots it will stall until it starts drawing enough current and then it'll surge forward too abruptly. Other times, it just doesn't begin crawling slowly enough. In other words, it requires too much throttle to get it going and then you can back off and crawl slower. It actually reminds me of wheelin' a 1:1 rig with an automatic transmission. When it gets into a bit of a bind it'll require more throttle and eventually the converter loads up and then can "shock" the tires into spinning just a bit. It can make it very difficult to very slowly crawl an obstacle and it's why I have three pedals in my Jeep! Granted, a much smaller pinion could help, but then it would defeat the purpose of the higher speed motor, IMO. In addition, for a crawler, this is just an unrealistic amount of wheel speed and that's not what I'm after.

And all this is after I altered the curves on my speed controller (Sidewinder).

So I'm going to look into a 35T or maybe a 27T motor so I can still have some wheelspeed, but it should provide enough torque and progressive throttle control to keep me happy. The Slash motor will see use again, though. My next project after the 6x6 trials truck will be a dual purpose pre-runner/rock crawler. This motor will be great for it.
Old 11-11-2009, 08:51 AM   #33
Pebble Pounder

nice work man.

keep it up, i am looking forward to seeing this thing done!
Nick Slemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 11:53 AM   #34
I wanna be Dave

More metal work continued last night. This time for the front bumper/stinger/winch mount. Sorry for the mediocre iPhone pics. My g/f has my camera right now...

The base started with 1"x1/2" .060" steel rectangular tubing I hacked on and boxed in.

Radiator hoop completed and waiting for brazing.

A rough idea of things to come....with my 1:1 stinger in the background.
Old 11-12-2009, 12:47 PM   #35
RCC Addict

Only one thing to say,,,Awesome.
Wild trial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 03:39 PM   #36
RCC Addict

Wow man this looks great. Looking forward to seeing it finished and some pics on the rocks.
TAT76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 07:41 PM   #37
I wanna be Dave

Got the front bumper finished and got a temporary rear while I figure out what I'll do with it....

Old 11-21-2009, 10:41 PM   #38
Rock Crawler

Killer looking build. Cant wait to see it done
rocresq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 10:44 PM   #39
RCC Addict

Awesome front bumper, great job. The Jeep is coming together nicely, keep up the great work.
Jester666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 08:03 AM   #40
I wanna be Dave

Had a great time wheelin' yesterday. I'm still working on compiling a video, but here's some pics.

A little carnage on my tube fenders. D'oh!

I need to make some fenderwells...bad!