Quote:
Originally Posted by duber3 View Post
Your Hilux looks awsome
Did you have difficulty fiting the yota axles on the bruiser frame
I want to to install these yota axles on my new bruiser
for the front, is this the model you installed Z-A0058
https://store.rc4wd.com/Yota-Ultimat...nt_p_1429.html

thanks!!
Hi, sorry for late reply. Yes, I had difficulties to get them attached. The front axles seem to be a little wider than the Bruiser Chassis. So I had to move the leavs a little outside. I made custom spacers for the front leaf hangers inside the Frame and Standard Tamiya washers outside the Frame. Still the axle did not slip onto the leafs, but it is ok.

Thomas
ThomasR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 05:32 AM   #24
Rock Stacker

Default Re: The Hilux Trail Rig

Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxer6969 View Post
would you trade it
Thanks for interest but, sorry I don't intend to sell this Project. I really want to finish it this summer.
Old 06-24-2013, 09:58 AM   #25
I wanna be Dave

kool build...

but I must say...

if you're going for realism...
then the roof top basket connected to both
the cab and bed (shell) does not reflect correctly.

being... the cab and bed mount separately (1:1)
and will move independent of each other.

meaning... the basket would get ripped out it's mounts
of either the cab or shell when stressed.

In other words...

the basket cannot connect both the cab and bed into one single unit.
so it should only be on the cab... or on the shell top.
But not bolted to both.

I've seen (1:1) baskets that overhang the cab...
but they're not bolted to it.

good luck... looks nice otherwise
TacoCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 02:08 PM   #26
Pebble Pounder

Nice build!! I have a sweet spot for these old toyota. I'm new to this hobby of RC but I can already see one of these in my future.
midnight_f150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 05:03 PM   #27

That's amazing work! I especially dig the wheels, plus the French influence... LOL Citroen
grovedogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 08:23 AM   #28
Rock Stacker

Got some progress on the Hilux. Changed alot because I was not really happy with what I've got. Changed to Mickey Thompson Beadlocks and put the 1.55 tyres on. Like the balloon look of the tyres. As I did not find a for me suitable construction to hold the 3-speed in place, I decided to go for a Tamiya Bruiser 2012 3-speed transmission. Also I ordered a Bruiser 2012 frame from which I used the front transmission bracket and the middle section as I modified mine to receive the RC4WD transfer case. The front transmission bracket improves the stiffness of the frontwagon a little bit.

The tranny is sitting quite deep down in the frame. Lowers the center of gravity.

The floor was started. The floor will carry all electronic stuff. Tranny comes in quite alot.

Mounting brackets for the fenders.

Fenderwall made fit to the frame silouette.

Cut and glued to the brackets.

Testview.

Making two sides.

The floor gets sidewalls and becomes a radio crate.

Transmission tunnel to close the crate from outside.

Glued to the floor.

Complete radio crate and fender-construction taken off and glued more support for more stiffness and reinforcement.

Back into the frame. The fender-walls get two crossmembers for more stiffness and the shock towers gets a crossbrace. Now the whole chassis is very stiff and self flex is reduced to almost zero.

Closeup pic.

Looks better then w/o fender wall. I don't like when you see through and see all internals.

Changed from Tamiya body to RC4WD Mojave body set with Tamiya grille. Hardtop and roof rack is also from RC4WD.

Unfortunately I ran out of thin styrene sheets. So I will continue to fab real inner fenders when the ordered parts comes in.
Old 12-04-2013, 04:14 PM   #29
Quarry Creeper

Looks great. That tranny takes up a lot of space. Going to lock it in 4x4?
redjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 02:51 PM   #30
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by redjones View Post
Looks great. That tranny takes up a lot of space. Going to lock it in 4x4?
Yes, but that does not bother me. I have plenty of space for all my needs. This tranny has 4x4 in first gear, RWD in 2nd and 3rd gear. I think I'm going to like that.
Old 12-07-2013, 03:58 PM   #31
Rock Stacker

Progress. Got some styrene material from local dealer. Next are the front fenders. First I cut 3,2mm angle material and glued it to the fender wall.

After that 1,5cm 0,5mm styrene sheets where glued to the angles.

Next I glued the full size fenders. Set the body and cut the fenders roughly in shape. Then doing finer cuts and last sanding and sanding to give the final shape.

Left front body mount glued tot he chassis. The body mount is made of 3mm styrene and 2,5mm supports and some 3,2mm and 4mm angle. The body will be attached with the stock holes behind the fenders.

Right front body mount just same as left.

The fenders got also support from 2,5mm angle styrene sheet.

Now the fenders have the right shape and body mounts need a good dry over night. Then the body mounts will be finished tomorrow. Drilled and a counter nut will be attached from behind.

Old 12-07-2013, 09:40 PM   #32
Rock Stacker

Very cool build! I'm not a big fan of the old yota's but I really like this one! I don't know what it is about yours but something really appeals to me with this one.

I was looking at those pictures of your driveshaft angles. And I don't know if dropping the tranny so low in the frame fixed your issue, but could you fab up some type of wedge to mount between the leaf and the axle to clock the axle upward and reduce the driveline angle? Maybe cut a piece of rectangular tube on say an 8 or 9* angle and weld it solid with a pin protruding down to lock into the axle somehow (so it couldn't slide or be spit out)? Just a thought. I had to put new springs on one of my 1:1's this week and that's how they used to clock axles for pinion angle. Figured I'd share in case you still needed a solution...
apextrans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 02:28 AM   #33
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by apextrans View Post
Very cool build! I'm not a big fan of the old yota's but I really like this one! I don't know what it is about yours but something really appeals to me with this one.

I was looking at those pictures of your driveshaft angles. And I don't know if dropping the tranny so low in the frame fixed your issue, but could you fab up some type of wedge to mount between the leaf and the axle to clock the axle upward and reduce the driveline angle? Maybe cut a piece of rectangular tube on say an 8 or 9* angle and weld it solid with a pin protruding down to lock into the axle somehow (so it couldn't slide or be spit out)? Just a thought. I had to put new springs on one of my 1:1's this week and that's how they used to clock axles for pinion angle. Figured I'd share in case you still needed a solution...
Thank you. The driveshaft angles are not steep anymore now with the new Tamiya transmission. The transmission sits in the stock position as it sits in the 2012 Bruiser. I just clocked it about 5mm in front to rise the motor a little to give more clearance for the front axle driveshaft to travel up. I now this problem existing on 1:1 cars. I had a Jeep Cherokee XJ 4.0 HO with a 6" Superflex suspension lift kit and the rear axle was a problem. Therefore the Superflex rear leafs where shaped to give the rear axle some degree of clocking to prevent from steep angle. Same thing was with my 79 Chevy Blazer which I restored. It was just a 4" but still I should have clocked the rear axle a few degrees. The rear leafs where just streight so some degree wedges could have been fine.
Old 12-08-2013, 11:25 AM   #34
Rock Stacker

Today I have had time for some more progress. The body mounts are done. I pressed a stopping nut into a 3mm sheet of styrene and glued it with styrene glue.

The whole thing glued from behind to the body mount.

The body mounts are very strong and keep the sides of the body aligned with the rocksliders.

To attach the body tot he mounts I use M3 Miniature scale hex bolts from RC4WD. They look much better then any other M3 screws.

1,5mm styrol sheets for the side panels of the bed, to cover from view inside de space between frame and bed.

Supported by 4mm angle material glued to the bed.

With the body attached to the chassis it sits perfect with less then 1mm distance to the frame.

The ugly gaps at rear were filled with cut in shape 1mm styrol sheets. After it is dry it will be sanded to right shape.

Old 12-08-2013, 12:53 PM   #35

Hallo Thomas,
sehr interessant. Ich bin auch gerade dabei einen Hilux aufwändig zu modifizieren, und Deine Polystyrolarbeiten sind sehr inspirierend. Bringt mich auf ganz neue Ideen, die ich sonst viel zu kompliziert gemacht hätte. Dank dafür...und bin gespannt wie der nachher fertig aussieht.
Viele Grüsse nach Österreich
fk78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 03:55 PM   #36
Rock Stacker

Ist mal was anderes, wenn ich mal jemanden inspirieren kann. :-) Sonst schau ich mir immer was ab.

Today also the shift-servo was done. I took a micro servo but one of the larger ones. Not the ultra small servos. This one is still small but has metal gear and is very strong and fast. Found the right place and made the slot. Took me some time because the floor is made of 3 layers 2,5mm styrene sheet glued together. The servo is tight fit and lugs out just as wide as needed - perfect. Did a short test run in my seller and it works perfect. The transmission shifts very smooth and without noise. Can't waith to do the first real test drive with body and outdoor.

Old 08-16-2015, 03:31 PM   #37
Rock Stacker

Been a while since I have worked on the Project and posted updates.
I found some time during my summer Holiday to go ahead with the Hilux.

I decided final Color and what hard top I will go with.
Here are some Pictures.

Chassis was painted mat black.

The the Body got a good layer of primer.

Paint Job in the Color of my choice.

Then two layers of clear coat. Once it has dried, lights where installed and some Details worked out.

Unfortunately I missed to order a windscreen as I ran out of some. So I had to order two sets today. Cannot finish the truck today...

Finaly a short Video of the Little gadged I installed... working exhaust :-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgQu...ature=youtu.be
Old 10-19-2015, 01:42 AM   #38
Rock Stacker

Although the Hilux is apart from some small details finished, I forgot to take pictures. Last Weekend we where at a meeting of or model club and I took at last one pictures with my mobile phone.

It runs great. 4WD in first gear is perfect even with the standard silver can. I can crawl extremely slow and it is huge fun to watch suspension flex or tires get squeezed gently over hard rocks. I will try to make a Video soon.
Old 11-01-2015, 01:44 AM   #39
RCC Addict

This is an amazing Hilux!! I really like how you did the deck to mount the body and radio gear inside the cab. You have given me some ideas for my Ford F-350 bruiser build..
rocpede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 01:11 PM   #40
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocpede View Post
This is an amazing Hilux!! I really like how you did the deck to mount the body and radio gear inside the cab. You have given me some ideas for my Ford F-350 bruiser build..
Thank you! Happy I could inspire with my build.

The Hilux Trail Rig - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
25 Trucks beach Trail: 15 Land Rover Defender scx10 Trail Finder 2 Wraith hilux Tundr boolean21 Scale Videos! 6 08-22-2012 04:07 PM
a simple trail hilux twilight 1.5 Scale Rigs 12 07-24-2011 09:23 PM
First Scale rig..... X-trail Hilux Rocksolo 1.9 Scale Rigs 30 10-24-2009 09:43 AM
HiluX-Trail Toyota Hilux ToyFarm 1.9 Scale Rigs 34 06-12-2009 11:11 PM
Hilux and X Trail? AeroSynch General Scale Talk 2 04-08-2008 07:38 PM