Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: jebster's half track lcc mog

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2015, 02:31 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default jebster's half track lcc mog

Haven't finished my last project and decided to start a new one. I'm combining a bunch of ideas on this one: lcc axled scaler, half track rig, custom built high power bed winch, mog body.

Once I saw rc4wd had predator track knuckles for the twin hammers I knew it was time to start the project since the knuckles are compatible with lcc axles.

Here are the spec
- lcc axles with HD worms and 4 wheel steer
- scaler chassis
- front mounted lnc tranny powering a custom made transfer case; need to match front to rear axle speed differences given the predator tracks are slower
- winch will be based off a motor/esc combo driving a gear reduction to a custom spool
- mog body; there are a couple options for this so I haven't made up my mine on what to do

Like any of my projects it will probably go much slower than I want but I'm looking forward to diving in.

Just a couple pics showing the donor rig and some of the parts to be used.
Attached Images

jebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-20-2015, 10:11 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Location: in a tree home atop a redwood tree on the corner of yonder and timbuktoo
Default Re: jebster's half track lcc mog

Looks pretty neat, looking forward to see how it develops!
PS- What wheels are you using in the front?
lil' bear 4wd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 05:45 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil' bear 4wd View Post
Looks pretty neat, looking forward to see how it develops!
PS- What wheels are you using in the front?
Wheels are just plain axial 1.9 beadlocks with a full face delrin ring. Not sure the brand. Picked these wheels up for another rig. Popped them on the front of this truck just to get an idea of size. I'll probably get a different set for this truck.

Starting the teardown process today. Getting that stock lcc chassis off and prepping the axles is first on the list.
Old 03-22-2015, 03:56 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Got the axles cleaned up and pulled them off the comp chassis. I decided to stick with the lcc links and general geometry. I was sizing up some plates I'll use to drop down from the chassis rails to a skid to mount the lower links to. It will also be the mounting point for the custom transfer case I have to make.
Attached Images

Old 04-03-2015, 02:11 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Slow progress. Made some plates for mounting the lower links along with a small derlin skid. Also got the lnc tranny mounted up front.

Need to get some pinion gears to start in on the transfer case.
Attached Images

Old 04-03-2015, 03:08 PM   #6

I love those tracks, Wish they were not so pricey, how does that tranny work out? is the gearing on it a reduction?
triaxrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 03:21 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by triaxrob View Post
I love those tracks, Wish they were not so pricey, how does that tranny work out? is the gearing on it a reduction?
they are pricy. that is why i'm going to be sharing these between two rigs (jebster's pseudo truggy).

the tranny is a standard lnc tranny. the real trick on this drivetrain is going to be the transfer case because the outputs are going to have to be at different ratios so that the tracks and wheels end up at the same ground speed.
Old 04-11-2015, 07:15 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Got myself some wheels from DCW. They are sweet. Had some old rings laying around that I polished up. I think the combo looks pretty good.

Started in on my transfer case. Main housing fits between the rails and down to the skid and is cut out of a block of nylon. It will have aluminum plates on each side that will align the shafts and hold the bearings. Got a pic of the test hole I'll drilled through a scrap block.

Making progress, even though it is slow.
Attached Images

Old 04-11-2015, 08:04 AM   #9
Suck it up!

Nice work! Don't see too many of those running around.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 09:33 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude View Post
Nice work! Don't see too many of those running around.
Thanks. And I don't see this one running around anytime soon!
Old 04-12-2015, 06:45 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Got some work done in the transfer case. Drilled out the housing and end plates. Mounted up the 1:1 side of the case already and it spins nice and smooth. For the overdrive side (going to the rear axle) I'll be making external plates that hold the bearings and shafts. This way if I have to change ratio due to changing tire sizes I can just make new single plates versus having to make up entirely new housing face plates.

It is getting there!
Attached Images

Old 04-17-2015, 05:27 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Got the transfer case finished up today. Everything turns nice and smooth and it drops right in between the rails. The plates for the smaller pinion are made so if I have to change ratios I just need to make two new plates versus entire new housing plates.

After mounting it up I found the driveshaft angle from the transmission to the transfer case is too steep and causes binding. Going to have to drop the transmission down and tilt it more. Always have something to change!
Attached Images

Old 04-21-2015, 07:11 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Started laying out the electronics. Without the body to size up placement I figure low and centered was the best option. Got my castle pro bec to power both steering servos. Made a delrin electronics plate to stick everything to. I plan on having the battery ride on top of the transfer case.

Oh yeah, made a new transmission mount to drop it down a little more and tilt it down at the back to fix the driveshaft angle.
Attached Images

Old 04-25-2015, 09:47 AM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Can't wait to see more of this one!
paintchip31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 02:35 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintchip31 View Post
Can't wait to see more of this one!
Thanks. I need a few more parts (smaller pinions for tcase, bullet connectors to wire up the motor) to finish up the undercarriage. Then it will be a waiting game until I get a body. Looking to have a custom extended cab 1300l unimog body made up.

In the mean time I got the rear servo mounted. I also swapped shocks. I didn't like the travel on the losi shocks so I installed some proline powerstroke scaler shocks. Much better.

I also found out the stock LCC steering drag link connection point wouldn't work for the CMS because the drag link would be too short so I ran it out to the knuckles.
Attached Images

Old 04-27-2015, 12:51 PM   #16
Pebble Pounder

Dude at first i thought WTF but man you have some skills. looking forward to seeing more of this build...
GEISSE-RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 04:17 PM   #17
RCC Addict

looks good so far bud , will have to keep an eye on this as i was looking at building a half-track myself
viper6171 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 12:05 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

I appreciate the feedback guys. I was looking for a challenge and I'm liking this.

Finally got it out for a test run. I like the way it moves. The four wheel steer let's it turn on a dime. Here is a shot video: https://youtu.be/tXAXW0xgrBo

I do need to go over the drivetrain. Seems louder than I remember. Not sure if the axles are low on grease or if the lnc tranny needs some work. If anyone looking at this is a losi expert any advice is welcome.

Also having issues with the ESC. I don't know how to calibrate it to my radio so I only have forward. The programming card says it is set to fwd/brk/rev but that's not what I'm getting.
Old 05-09-2015, 08:45 AM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Up to my third tranny mount design. The last two had too much angle on the shaft between the tranny and transfer case and at high rpms it had severe vibrations. So I decided to get that shaft pretty low and straight. Hopefully this one works.
I also started to sketch out the winch design. I think using a LCC axle because of the built in brake would be good. Spool speed will be slow but once it is out it won't drift! More thoughts to come on this part of the project.
Attached Images

Last edited by jebster; 05-09-2015 at 09:21 AM.
Old 05-09-2015, 09:28 AM   #20
RCC Addict

Very impressive fabrication skills! Amazing build quality. Will look forward to seeing this with body and future pictures.
joe122 is offline   Reply With Quote

jebster's half track lcc mog - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
US M3 half track. Devilbrad Non Crawler RC's 40 12-10-2016 03:16 PM
jebster's lcc jebster Team Losi Comp Crawler 65 03-23-2014 01:49 PM
half track REV666 General Scale Talk 13 03-26-2013 10:11 PM
Half Track? MiddleT General Scale Talk 13 01-11-2009 12:35 PM