Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: 2011 Class 2 TJ Truggy lowrider

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2010, 02:48 AM   #21
Quarry Creeper

Love it!!!

The colour is a little different but the proportions are perfect, have you wheeled it yet?
sierrajim is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-14-2010, 08:00 AM   #22
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsone View Post
hell yea!!! Can't wait to go wheelin Chris!!!
Me too. The first scratch is going to hurt, but hell, I can always repaint it later

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude View Post
Lookin' good!

What are you using for winch line?
Thanks. Winch line is the heavy test deep sea fishing nylon stuff. Very strong and abrasion resistant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester666 View Post
Thanks for building it for me Chris.

It looks awesome. Any plans to highlight the body seams black?

This is the last time I lend you a body, that NB was near mint!
jk
I still have most of the pieces I chopped off of this body Justin. You could always get it back from me and get it back to near mint with some CA and a pound or two of body filler

Might highlight the seams to give it a little more definition. I don't want those lines to stand out too much though and look cartoonish, which can happen with lighter colours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierrajim View Post
Love it!!!

The colour is a little different but the proportions are perfect, have you wheeled it yet?
Thanks. Yep, a different colour was the goal. I always thought the original kind of looked like a Baja style buggy to me, so thought it deserved a colour somewhat reflective of that.

Haven't wheeled it yet. Need to clean up all the wiring and install lights. I also don't have driveshafts for this thing. MIPs were too long, even the dig side ones cut down (that was one way to throw away $60 worth of driveshafts!). So, I'm going with SCX or Traxxas yokes and plastic driveshafts. Will just need to be a bit more gentle on the throttle when in a bind!
ecoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 11:13 PM   #23
Quarry Creeper

Default Jeep

Dang that looks sweet. Man I miss my little mellow yellow that one was a fun little jeep. Looks like it should work great.
madscrambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 10:50 AM   #24
RCC Addict

Nice choice on the color. Any plans to armor up the the rear body sections, diamond plate or what not?
salmonfacesalad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 02:05 PM   #25
Quarry Creeper

Driveshafts

You can just cut down the male end between the ball end and the spline for the slip joint and weld them back together. Plastic shafts suck
sierrajim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 07:22 PM   #26
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by madscrambler View Post
Dang that looks sweet. Man I miss my little mellow yellow that one was a fun little jeep. Looks like it should work great.
I hope it works I loved your little Jeep this year (obviously). It was also a great performer, so hopefully this does ok in my unskilled hands

Quote:
Originally Posted by salmonfacesalad View Post
Nice choice on the color. Any plans to armor up the the rear body sections, diamond plate or what not?
Hmm, there's an idea. I've got some scale diamond plate. Might give that a go to see how it looks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierrajim View Post
Driveshafts

You can just cut down the male end between the ball end and the spline for the slip joint and weld them back together. Plastic shafts suck
Yeah, that's the next option if the plastic ones don't hold up to the abuse. Cutting it and welding it back together straight is a pain though, and I want to get this thing running . I've actually found the plastic driveshafts hold up well enough, it's the yokes that are key. Too short a cross pin and they constantly pop off.

So, redid the floor (original one wasn't level enough), made some fenders for the rear, cut down the scale center caps to fit the wheels, wired in lights, did up a cover to keep the rear plugs out of the way, and wired up all the electronics. I spent about an hour getting my rx to work. For some reason it wouldn't bind. Finally got it to work when I plugged a receiver pack into it. One of those very frustrating nights.

Matt (slowkrawl) gave me a good idea for connecting and disconnecting lights; Dean's micro plugs. They work great, although soldering parts that small is a pain.

Anyways, on to the pics.

Showing off. At least it shouldn't flip over forwards or backwards. Side to side, that's another story.

Pretty much done. Just need the yokes I bought to arrive in the mail so it'll actually go somewhere when I hit the throttle. Need to swap out foams too. Little bugger is heavier than I thought it would be. Need to take it to the PO to weigh it at some point.
Old 12-17-2010, 08:15 PM   #27
RCC Addict

The new pics look great Chris, nicely done. So do you have to remove the spare tire everytime you want to plug in or unplug your lights? maybe I shouldn't say anything other wise you'll tear into it again.

As much as I like the update pics, isn't there something else you should be working on.jk
Jester666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 07:08 AM   #28
RCC Addict

nice, you gonna hit all the lines between body panels with a thin black felt tip or paint pen?
salmonfacesalad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 08:19 AM   #29
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
The new pics look great Chris, nicely done. So do you have to remove the spare tire everytime you want to plug in or unplug your lights? maybe I shouldn't say anything other wise you'll tear into it again.

As much as I like the update pics, isn't there something else you should be working on.jk
You're right Justin, I've got to start my Class 3 build for 2011

Yes, I have to remove the spare to get at the light plugs. Really, it's not a big deal. I'll only have to do that when I'm switching out batteries and I have to remove 6 other screws to do that already. The spare tire is a breeze to swap in and out (needs to be if they keep the spare tire change rule in for next year).

Quote:
Originally Posted by salmonfacesalad View Post
nice, you gonna hit all the lines between body panels with a thin black felt tip or paint pen?
I already did Used a pencil to get in between the body panels. Didn't want it to look too dark. It'll get full of dirt eventually and naturally fill in the lines
Old 12-18-2010, 10:22 AM   #30
I wanna be Dave

Sweet rig. I like the odd color also

What did you end up using for the winch spool? I can't tell in the pictures.
70duncan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 11:03 AM   #31
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecoli View Post
You're right Justin, I've got to start my Class 3 build for 2011
Keep it up funny man and I'll make a call to your wife!
Old 12-18-2010, 11:26 AM   #32
WOOPOOW!!

Jeep looks awesome, great work as usual ecoli
Colby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 09:18 AM   #33
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70duncan View Post
Sweet rig. I like the odd color also

What did you end up using for the winch spool? I can't tell in the pictures.
Well, the first servo I had in there was apparently burnt out, so I replaced it with a new JR servo modified to a winch. Nice thing about the JRs is that they're tapped for M3 screws for the horn. I used two round servo horns with a longer M3 screw sleeved in some 1/4" brakeline in between the two horns. Tied the winch line to the holes in one of the horns, loctited the screw in, and wound everything up. Works great

Can post up some pics if my description is too much rambling on.

Quote:
Keep it up funny man and I'll make a call to your wife!
Ok, I'll behave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colby View Post
Jeep looks awesome, great work as usual ecoli
Thanks. I just hope it performs well
Old 12-19-2010, 12:12 PM   #34
Quarry Creeper

Chris, you are going to have to slow down on the progress. Your embarrassing me.

About the winch spool, me and Matt scored at wal-mart yesterday. Found some perfect metal spools for thread that you just bolt up to a round servo horn.

Where did you get your winch line?

Last edited by Slowkrawl; 12-19-2010 at 03:45 PM.
Slowkrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 12:17 PM   #35
I wanna be Dave

That description works great for me, thanks

Now I just need to figure out how to do that with my Hitec. I will check to see if it is a 2mm bolt and go from there.
70duncan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 05:19 PM   #36
Rock Crawler

Why dont you build somthin like these for your rig, and by the way that rig is bad a@#! http://shop.poisonspyder.com/TJ-Rear.../14-04-033.htm
cmyers1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 08:47 PM   #37
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyers1 View Post
Why dont you build somthin like these for your rig, and by the way that rig is bad a@#! http://shop.poisonspyder.com/TJ-Rear.../14-04-033.htm

Yeah Chris, why don't you. I was planning on a set to, you should save me the trouble.
Old 12-19-2010, 08:48 PM   #38
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowkrawl View Post
Chris, you are going to have to slow down on the progress. Your embarrassing me.

About the winch spool, me and Matt scored at wal-mart yesterday. Found some perfect metal spools for thread that you just bolt up to a round servo horn.

Where did you get your winch line?
Well, I really do have my Class 3 rig to do up, but I've got a couple other projects to work on first, so you've got a chance to catch up Matt

I'll have to look for these spools. Just in the sewing/fabric area?

This winch line I got from Big Bird. However, I picked up some more from crappy tire. It's a little thick, but it'd work. Next time I'm heading to Calgary, I'll probably pull into Bass Pro Shop and see what they've got.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70duncan View Post
That description works great for me, thanks

Now I just need to figure out how to do that with my Hitec. I will check to see if it is a 2mm bolt and go from there.
Same thing for the Hitec. What I've started doing with my Hitec servo is tapping out the servo horn hole to 3mm instead of the stock 2.5mm. Works well and the 3mm screws are that much sturdier

Quote:
Thanks. Yeah, that could be done. I'd likely make it out of styrene, no point in weighting it down any further
Old 12-20-2010, 03:59 PM   #39
Rock Crawler

How well do you think the styrene will hold up if you end up making those crusher corners? (I have little experience with styrene)
cmyers1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 08:28 AM   #40
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
How well do you think the styrene will hold up if you end up making those crusher corners? (I have little experience with styrene)
Shouldn't be a problem as long as I can make it in one piece. Styrene is pretty tough, but it will break apart at joints on hard hits/rollovers. My style of driving usually requires the strength