Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: 2011 Class 2 TJ Truggy lowrider

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2010, 07:23 AM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default 2011 Class 2 TJ Truggy lowrider

So everyone keeps saying there isn't enough information available for a Class 2 scale build and are focusing instead on the Class 3/TTC/KOH builds. However, I think the info released definitely should give most people a starting base. Maximum tire size, Class 2 being where rigs like the Honcho would fit in, and it looking like the street class from this year. Yes, I'm on the rules committee, but honestly, none of the rest of the items have been finalized yet, so I'm just going by what has been released.

With that being said, I decided to go ahead and build up a TJ into what I foresee as my Class 2 rig for this next year. May need to do some additional tweaks, but hopefully no huge changes . Started with a Newbright body (thanks to Jester666) and SCX base and started chopping and brazing. Not a lot of progress pics, as this is a clone of an existing build (points to the first person who can identify which that is). I fell in love with that build and had to do one for myself

Onto some pics!

Chopped off the rear end of the rails and truggied the rear end. As soon as I saw the Mayhem trail shooters, I knew I needed a set for this build. The Proline swampers go on like butter

Shoved the tranny forward by probably close to an inch or so. Allows the interior to clear the spur gear (which sits under the dash).

After a bit more work. With some trimming, should be able to get a full 3D interior in.

Front bumper set in close for a good approach angle.

Spare tire mount. Took what seems to be a standard utard trick and leaned the rear shock inward (more like a comp truck).

Functional spare set nice and low

Electronics layout. Steering and winch servo under the hood. 1300mah 3s lipo on the passenger side. HH BR-XL esc and rx on the driver's side.

3-link with panhard up front (4-linked in the rear).

The mount location on the Hand Bros CMS for the panhard bar was too far back. Chopped off the Hand Bros one and brazed on my own. Clearance is extremely tight, but it clears by about 0.001mm fully compressed, and in cycling through the suspension, seems to work great which is what counts.

Winch servo (still needs a drum). Secured the front end to the CMS mount. Rear I made up a mount out of some 1/8" laser cut steel. It's not going anywhere

Only other suspension mods was swapping out the stock longer coils on the scx shocks for the super soft coils (short ones are still stock).

Couple more mandatory flex shots

That's as far as I've taken her for now. Need to secure in all the electronics, build the interior, clean up the body and tubework, and get to painting. I'm really stumped on a paint scheme at the moment though. More than happy to take suggestions
ecoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-05-2010, 08:04 AM   #2
RCC Addict

looking hot so far, I sure you know the winning recipe this time around.
salmonfacesalad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 08:56 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Is it suppose to be a copy of project Acrophobia they look similar even though this is a yj grill and you have a tj grill

xrra_tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 10:23 AM   #4
RCC Addict

Another great looking build Chris, I was wondering when you were going to post the build.
I think this build would look good with a set of rc4wd Two Face tires. It would go with the style of the jeep. Just sayin
Jester666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 01:36 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Sexxxxxxxy!!!! Where did u get the servo winch drum??
lsone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 03:43 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by salmonfacesalad View Post
looking hot so far, I sure you know the winning recipe this time around.
Doubt I know the winning recipe, but I learned a lot this past year in terms of driving/builds. We'll just wait and see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrra_tj View Post
Is it suppose to be a copy of project Acrophobia they look similar even though this is a yj grill and you have a tj grill
Nice Jeep, but nope. It's based off another scale build on here. I went with it only because the current owner said he wouldn't be running it at the same events I'm at I have to admit, it does kind of look like that YJ though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester666 View Post
Another great looking build Chris, I was wondering when you were going to post the build.
I think this build would look good with a set of rc4wd Two Face tires. It would go with the style of the jeep. Just sayin
You got a set you're looking to get rid of ? Nah, the swampers stay. Too nice of a compound to go with something else at the moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsone View Post
Sexxxxxxxy!!!! Where did u get the servo winch drum??
Right now the drum is just a couple of round servo horns. Still need to come up with something a little more solid.
Old 12-05-2010, 04:31 PM   #7
R2j
SORRCA Committee Member

Diggin this one for sure! Really good idea on the winch mount. I'm just finishing up my project TJ for RPMJ.
R2j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 04:50 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Looking very good! I am working on a tj for one of my buddies and I moved the skid forward to clear the spur as well! Great minds think alike. The tj's are so much nicer to work on if you remove the floor huh?
Bananaclip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 05:40 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Default Madscrambler?

Looks like a madscrambler build
willipmartinni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 06:20 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2j View Post
Diggin this one for sure! Really good idea on the winch mount. I'm just finishing up my project TJ for RPMJ.
I remember that one, haven't looked at it for a while. It was put on the backburner, wasn't it? Will look for it again

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtcarter View Post
Looking very good! I am working on a tj for one of my buddies and I moved the skid forward to clear the spur as well! Great minds think alike. The tj's are so much nicer to work on if you remove the floor huh?
Yep. I built a 2.2 this past year and kept everything intact. Bit more of a pain, but was able to do it running a t-case. These bodies aren't exactly huge though, so taking out the floor gives you a bit more breathing room.

Quote:
Originally Posted by willipmartinni View Post
Looks like a madscrambler build
Ding ding ding, we have a winner ! Yep, this is based on Lance's mellow yellow build he had at scale nats this past year. I really liked that build. Lance sold it to Devlin (hotwheels000) who said he wasn't going to run it at nats this next year (where we cross over) and was kind enough to send some off body shots.

I've changed up a few things from that build, but I definitely give full credit to Lance for the build style
Old 12-05-2010, 07:54 PM   #11
R2j
SORRCA Committee Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecoli View Post
I remember that one, haven't looked at it for a while. It was put on the backburner, wasn't it? Will look for it again
Yea, kinda put it off, just haven't updated it for a while.
R2j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 07:54 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecoli View Post
Right now the drum is just a couple of round servo horns. Still need to come up with something a little more solid.
ohhhh on my phone it looked aluminum in one of the pics haha
Old 12-05-2010, 09:42 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Damn dude, this looks like a performer!! Nice work!
justinart24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 12:29 AM   #14
RCC Addict

Anyone call dibb's yet? I want my body back if they do.
What motor is that?
Old 12-06-2010, 05:57 AM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Better paint this one hot pink so we don't run into it as we drive around you

Looks good chris, next summer should be a good time with all the new local builds.
Slowkrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 10:20 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

I was going to say my very incomplete build, based an the SCX, Jeep and almost exact front bumper. Then you said YJ and the local event thing.

Nice build though, I really need to get mine done, but have a buddies project to finish first.

Last edited by rckjeep; 12-06-2010 at 10:23 AM.
rckjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 09:35 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

I've been bad with the progress pics on this one!

Things I've done since then:

- Winch spool, line and hook (had to make a new winch servo, old one was toast).
- Interior
- Move around electronics and wiring (esc now rides under the hood)
- Inner fenders
- Finish front bumper
- Clean, sand and paints everything

Pretty much finished now. Just have to clean up all the wiring mess once I get some lights installed, and secure the interior in place. Then maybe I'll run it !

Knew I was going to go with a different colour on this. Picked up this satin finish very light green (mint green I guess). Turned out pretty good, and I don't think there's another Jeep this colour out there!

Old 12-13-2010, 10:13 PM   #18
Pebble Pounder

hell yea!!! Can't wait to go wheelin Chris!!!
Old 12-13-2010, 11:11 PM   #19
Suck it up!

Lookin' good!

What are you using for winch line?
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 11:46 PM   #20
RCC Addict

Thanks for building it for me Chris.

It looks awesome. Any plans to highlight the body seams black?

This is the last time I lend you a body, that NB was near mint!
jk

Last edited by Jester666; 12-13-2010 at 11:49 PM.