Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Brushless (of course) F-350 Hi-Lift

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2006, 09:46 AM   #21
I wanna be Dave

A Y-harness will work fine as long as you don't want to do front digs/burns.
microgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-23-2006, 05:30 AM   #22
I wanna be Dave

The good news: Hi-Lift arrived Friday

The bad news: In the boss' words, "This isn't Hong Kong, you can buy it on the 25th."

He's so mean...But I do have some initial impressions. I got to slit the shrink wrap and have a look inside

First of all, this thing weighs a TON! This is no featherweight.

The tranny has several revisions from semi-truck spec, including die-cast and chrome-plated shift forks, and a couple of tubes cross-bracing the tranny case.

The axles are gorgeous Choose the matte-finish covers or leave the pumpkins black and use the little rubber plugs. I like the rubber plugs, and the axles look more streamlined without the covers on (Did you think I could resist test-fitting them?)

Two complete sets of lenses are included, white and yellow, so you could build a French F-350 if you really wanted to You also get dummy LED's to put in the lamps.

Two different exhaust-pipe options, too.

The tires are uber sweet. Bigger and softer than BFG's, but not as big as soft as Geo's. No foams are included or necessary.

The chrome on this thing is gorgeous, even for Tamiya.

I hope it's a slow day at work, maybe I can get something done
Old 09-23-2006, 10:36 AM   #23
Pebble Pounder

haha, i cant wait to see pics!!!!!!
Fordx4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 12:42 PM   #24
I wanna be Dave

i want mine now so bad stu you dont even know
smokinubyrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 04:24 PM   #25
I wanna be Dave

Default Smuggling 101, and a teaser pic

Smuggling 101:

Take lots of smoke breaks, and if you give the excuse that your Zippo is out of fuel, then you can go outside to your truck 4 times during your shift with a tire in your pocket. By the time work is done, you've had not only one more smoke break than usual, but a full set of tires.

This only works if the boss isn't watching you like a hawk, waiting for you to snatch the body out of the kit and take it home or something sneaky like that. But I'd never do something so underhanded. That would be wrong

Anyway, here's the teaser. I'm not going to use the kit wheels. I'm using these instead. They're Tamiya's ever-sweet 2-piece rims, with centers glommed from the re-issue of the Monogram Big T 1/8 scale plastic kit. While they don't have enough lugs for an F-350, neither do the kit wheels, so we're even :p

If the tires look a little scuffy, it's because I couldn't help running them on the XC F-150. I gotta satisfy my Ford jones somehow!
Attached Images

Old 09-24-2006, 04:46 PM   #26
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by microgoat
Smuggling 101:

Take lots of smoke breaks, and if you give the excuse that your Zippo is out of fuel, then you can go outside to your truck 4 times during your shift with a tire in your pocket. By the time work is done, you've had not only one more smoke break than usual, but a full set of tires.

This only works if the boss isn't watching you like a hawk, waiting for you to snatch the body out of the kit and take it home or something sneaky like that. But I'd never do something so underhanded. That would be wrong
Radar mailed most of a Jeep home from Korea a piece at a time like that on M.A.S.H., so that method gotta have some merit...

Out of all of the Hi-Lift builds going on around them internets, this is the one I'm most anxiously awaiting...
bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 05:04 PM   #27
I wanna be Dave

Major update tomorrow
Old 09-24-2006, 06:17 PM   #28
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bird
Radar mailed most of a Jeep home from Korea a piece at a time like that on M.A.S.H., so that method gotta have some merit...

Out of all of the Hi-Lift builds going on around them internets, this is the one I'm most anxiously awaiting...
And Clinger(spl?) tried to eat one. I was thinking more along the lines of Johnny Cash, One Piece at a Time.
Jamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 07:58 AM   #29
I wanna be Dave

Good news! Two guys showed up for my shift (including me) so I can go home and build this thang! Yeah, I'm supposed to be selling helicopter parts and glow plugs, but I can't resist the lure of the Hi-Lift.

Stay tuned...
Old 09-25-2006, 11:12 AM   #30
MODERATOR™

Stu, mine arrived Friday too, but my HobbyTown guys pulled through and let me take it home.

Mine's built already, and man oh man do my fingers hurt! There's a ton of parts.
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 03:31 PM   #31
I wanna be Dave

Well, there's one hobby shop that plays by the rules. But I did manage to smuggle the body out as well, so that's been sitting there painted for a couple of days

The build-o-rama is over, and all I can say is wow. This is one sweet beast. They called it right by modeling it after the F-350. It's heavy and stiffly sprung, and drives like a fullsize. I built my leaves with the smallest auxiliary leaf under the main leaf, and used the anti-wrap leaf but not the zip-ties. I may pull the coils out of the shocks, as it's a little too stiff but not so much that I want to make a flex-monster out of it. I want it to act like a 350.

The Novak is as sweet as pie. You can creep along so slow that a slug would leave you in the dust, and then nail the throttle and it feels like a decent stock motor. The drag brake, doesn't. You'll have to use the active braking if you want to hold your position on a hill. Remember this is an inrunner.

I will never, ever get tired of bangin' it up and down through the gears.

The tires, sweet. You're going to see a lot of small rigs with these on. Maybe Imex will come through with some 1.9 Swampers. That's a hint, guys.

I like the red, too I detailed the lenses with paint instead of the stickers, and used stainless M3 button-heads on all the exposed screws. I'm not a fan of the brush guard, but it'll save my chrome bumper some wear and tear. I'd like to keep it pretty as long as possible.
Attached Images

Old 09-25-2006, 03:33 PM   #32
06 Super National Champ

Lookin' good.

In that last pic, did you distort the lens with the screw?
JasonInAugusta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 03:39 PM   #33
RCC Addict

Sweet ride mg.....Looks great!!!! I like it in that red color....
What rims are those????
Wild trial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 03:42 PM   #34
06 Super National Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild trial
Sweet ride mg.....Looks great!!!! I like it in that red color....
What rims are those????

Quote:
Originally Posted by microgoat
Anyway, here's the teaser. I'm not going to use the kit wheels. I'm using these instead. They're Tamiya's ever-sweet 2-piece rims, with centers glommed from the re-issue of the Monogram Big T 1/8 scale plastic kit. While they don't have enough lugs for an F-350, neither do the kit wheels, so we're even
Wheels look killer, BTW
JasonInAugusta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 04:42 PM   #35
I wanna be Dave

JIA, yeah, that damned screw. It got the other side, too. Touching up the outside of the lens to hide it is on my list of things to do, along with painting the body-mount screws red and getting a pic of the Novak.

If I really wanted to, I could cut the turn signals from the lenses on the yellow tree, and the headlamps from the clear parts, and glue them together into one unit like they do on 1:1 vehicles, but damn that's a lot of work.

The wheels aren't quite done yet
Old 09-25-2006, 04:51 PM   #36
I wanna be Dave

Goat loking really good, I like the red too. Should have mine in a few days, aw the build begins.
Unimoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 05:00 PM   #37
I wanna be Dave

Looks great Goat!

It was so cool to walk into Hobby Town in Columbia and see 4 of the F350s sitting on the floor waiting for good homes!

Lose the roll bar, and brush gaurd. Mount up some Goelanders and it would be more my cup of tea!

I am tempted, but not yet!
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 05:03 PM   #38
Quarry Creeper

Thumbs up

That thing looks awesome!
I can't wait to see what others do with theirs, the possibilities seem endless.
tmyjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 05:16 PM   #39
I wanna be Dave

Nice work goat I agree with you on everything.I too don't like the brush/grill guard.Th red looks awesome dude!As for mine I think I'm going to do the Harley paint scheme.Badass work dude!
ColquittCustom405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 05:49 PM   #40
I wanna be Dave

trying to resist the temptation
XSRCdesign is offline   Reply With Quote