Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Imthatguy's 1987 Range Rover Classic

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2013, 04:42 PM   #21
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Imthatguy's 1987 Range Rover Classic

Not sure about the axles...Matt...

That thing is so scale looking that they axles look disproportionate.

Not sure what the "real" axles look like but would a K44 or Yota look more "scale"? Or maybe GCM's axle?
Rckcrwlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-10-2013, 05:00 PM   #22
RCC Addict

Yota's look very similar rover axles I'd go with them. Are you going for a stock look or more of a modified trail rig look?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
adamargue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 07:14 PM   #23
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rckcrwlr View Post
Not sure about the axles...Matt...

That thing is so scale looking that they axles look disproportionate.

Not sure what the "real" axles look like but would a K44 or Yota look more "scale"? Or maybe GCM's axle?
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamargue View Post
Yota's look very similar rover axles I'd go with them. Are you going for a stock look or more of a modified trail rig look?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
A yota II would look quite nice under there, I won't lie. I'm not sure I'm really going for accuracy on this build though - more for performance. Maybe I'm fooling myself.
imthatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 09:08 PM   #24
Quarry Creeper

This is going to be great!

Are those bodies going to be made available or is this a one and only type thing?
2.slowduo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 08:14 AM   #25
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2.slowduo View Post
This is going to be great!

Are those bodies going to be made available or is this a one and only type thing?
Read the first post.
pardonmyn00b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 10:13 PM   #26
I wanna be Dave

Got my GCM motor plate and transfer case set up. I replaced all the gears in the transmission with gears made from depleted uranium mined by trolls from Mordor.

It's such a fine bit of kit for relocating the motor up front over the axle, where the motor should go. Gives you that much needed weight up front.

Tucks between the shock hoops (after flipping them from one side to the other) and doesn't interfere with the links or suspension.

A nice solid link to the very reliable transfer case should make it worry free on the courses.

I highly recommend this bit of kit if you're looking to do an SCX-based truck with a full flat interior.
Old 11-14-2013, 04:26 PM   #27
RCC Addict

I think it looks great setup like that! Yeah, the SCX10 axles do look a little funky but then again, so do Land Rover axles! Instead of the Pitbulls, maybe try the RC4WD Gladiators or SDI tires? You're right though that with is PERFECT.
Lentsnh2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 05:31 PM   #28
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lentsnh2012 View Post
I think it looks great setup like that! Yeah, the SCX10 axles do look a little funky but then again, so do Land Rover axles! Instead of the Pitbulls, maybe try the RC4WD Gladiators or SDI tires? You're right though that with is PERFECT.
Hey man! Land Rover axles look no more funky than those silly Yota axles! Heck I've been around Rovers so much I think Dana's are weird looking. Rover axles look normal to me. Yota axles would look awesome under this, especially if you were to modify them to offset the rear pumpkin.

Those Pit Bulls look more like 38's on like an 8" lift to me. Way too huge to be realistic. Most guys who wheel more extreme stuff tend to run 33's and a 3-4" lift. This is of course if they don't want to trim fenders.

Here's a few more examples of lifted Range Rovers:
This guy says the gold one has a 5"+ lift, he didn't mention a tire size though I'd guess it has 33's:

RonCT110's Classic(from Land Rover Repair Forum(woulda got you a better shot but google claims the forum has malware so I can't log in). It's on a 2.75" lift, and 33's:

A guy I've wheeled with's long wheelbase on with either a 3 inch lift and 33's, or a 5 inch lift and 35's. I don't remember which, my rig was still on the 1.5" lift and 31's so I didn't have a good size reference. Notice his front fenders have no flare and his rear is cut off above the back bumper:

And another view of mine 3" lift and 32's:

My rig on an old worn out 1.5" lift and 31's. Believe it or not both shots were taken at the same place(The Wilds). That's the difference between a drought and a rainy season:

You could probably guess the direction I'd go. I'd build it up like my 1:1 and try to replicate a 3" lift and 32's(like I'm running) or 33's(like I plan on running). Should still be as capable as a TF2 but WAAAAAY cooler. Elaguila 45's looks to me like its a 2" lift and 32's. With a body this big it shouldn't be too hard to do. My guess is a 4" tall tire would be perfect. I know it would be more fun to build a performer but a body with this much detail deserves to look like a DD/Weekend Wheeler.

Hope you don't mind me clogging up your thread with various pics of Classics. I just really like these old rigs and don't want yours to turn into a monster truck.

Ben

PS If you want any specific pics of mine shoot me a PM and I'll send you some. Despite the sheet-metal damage its pretty complete. Oh, and if you're interested(for scale's sake) I might be able to get a side by side shot of my classic next to a 110 or 90. My neighbor buys and sells them constantly.

Last edited by 88RRC; 11-17-2013 at 05:40 PM.
88RRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 07:09 PM   #29
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88RRC View Post
Hey man! Land Rover axles look no more funky than those silly Yota axles! Heck I've been around Rovers so much I think Dana's are weird looking. Rover axles look normal to me. Yota axles would look awesome under this, especially if you were to modify them to offset the rear pumpkin.
I was just joking around, captain. . I've had Toyotas, Land Rovers and Jeeps so I've been around them all. Aisin and Land Rover axles are very very close to the same construction and design, but only with a few subtle differences.

I definitely agree with you though, If imthatguy was able to get the rear axle modded to match its 1:1 counterpart, It would be all giggles on this end!

Unlike Jeeps and Toyotas, Range Rover (Land Rover) is the only offroad vehicle that can make a 33" seem massive in the wheel wells. Of course, I absolutely love the stuffed tire look, so its right up my alley and why I love the Classics so much. However, we're not building this RR and if I've seen enough of imthatguy's build threads, I know he will get it right in the end.

Side note: That Toyota FZJ80 looks to have 33"s, so your guess is probably correct.
Lentsnh2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 08:03 PM   #30
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

Those Pit Bulls look more like 38's on like an 8" lift to me. Way too huge to be realistic. Most guys who wheel more extreme stuff tend to run 33's and a 3-4" lift. This is of course if they don't want to trim fenders.

You could probably guess the direction I'd go. I'd build it up like my 1:1 and try to replicate a 3" lift and 32's(like I'm running) or 33's(like I plan on running). Should still be as capable as a TF2 but WAAAAAY cooler. Elaguila 45's looks to me like its a 2" lift and 32's. With a body this big it shouldn't be too hard to do. My guess is a 4" tall tire would be perfect. I know it would be more fun to build a performer but a body with this much detail deserves to look like a DD/Weekend Wheeler.

Hope you don't mind me clogging up your thread with various pics of Classics. I just really like these old rigs and don't want yours to turn into a monster truck.

Ben

PS If you want any specific pics of mine shoot me a PM and I'll send you some. Despite the sheet-metal damage its pretty complete. Oh, and if you're interested(for scale's sake) I might be able to get a side by side shot of my classic next to a 110 or 90. My neighbor buys and sells them constantly.
Ben, thanks very much! Your post was super-helpful. I took another look at my tire and wheel inventory and picked out a much better option. I trimmed your post to the ultra-relevant info and I thank you. I may very well hit you up for some more reference photos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lentsnh2012 View Post
I was just joking around, captain. . I've had Toyotas, Land Rovers and Jeeps so I've been around them all. Aisin and Land Rover axles are very very close to the same construction and design, but only with a few subtle differences.

I definitely agree with you though, If imthatguy was able to get the rear axle modded to match its 1:1 counterpart, It would be all giggles on this end!

Unlike Jeeps and Toyotas, Range Rover (Land Rover) is the only offroad vehicle that can make a 33" seem massive in the wheel wells. Of course, I absolutely love the stuffed tire look, so its right up my alley and why I love the Classics so much. However, we're not building this RR and if I've seen enough of imthatguy's build threads, I know he will get it right in the end.

Side note: That Toyota FZJ80 looks to have 33"s, so your guess is probably correct.
I'm still considering other axles, but I'm really looking more for towards flat-out performance for a Class 2-ish truck.

Think I got the tire/wheels just right.

4" tire right on the nose after stretching it over a 1.9 RC4WD wheel. Started filling in some imperfections in the body tonight as well. Going to start working on building an interior over the next few days.
Old 11-22-2013, 09:00 PM   #31
I wanna be Dave

I took a cue from Dready and started on the interior shell. Slightly different as we're working with different chassis, but essentially the same. I have to put in a back seat though… ;)

Made some modifications to the rear suspension setup so I didn't have to run shock hoops and shortened the shocks and travel.

Ride height's pretty great. I'm trimming the fenders once I determine the shape and style of the bumper.

Old 11-22-2013, 10:18 PM   #32
Rock Stacker

Crap! Just remembered I forgot to reply. Your new stance is much better. Looks like it will still be competitive. Makes me think of this rig that's rollin on a 5" lift and 36's:

Sorry for throwing up another pic but I did it to show you that front bumper(it also looks like he has a RTE rear too). It's made by Rovertym if you want to find more pics. Notice it eliminates the lower part of the fender below the marker light. It's what all classic guys have to do to clear big tires. He obviously had to cut the front flare off which you also may have to do running those big meats.

Your interior is looking umm..... Good, but not very accurate, very functional though. I'll shoot you some pics tomorrow showing how the interior rises at the back seats. I'll also send you some of the inner fender. You may be better off doing it your way but, you might be able to make it look fairly stock while also being functional.

Ben

Lentsnh2012: I knew you were kidding, I kind of was too. We all know Dana 30's are the cutest axles ever. I was helping my buddy pull the T-case out of his ZJ and noticed how tiny his front axle was, I laughed. You're right Rover's and Yota axles are very similar, in fact there was a guy who made a kit to put a toyota 30-spline 3rd and axles in a Rover housing, it was pretty neat.

Last edited by 88RRC; 11-22-2013 at 10:21 PM.
88RRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 08:31 PM   #33
Rock Crawler

What a sexy build. I can't wait to see where you go with this. I'm sure it will be uber awesome as usual I think you made the right choice with the Growlers.
DV8ion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 08:23 AM   #34
Rock Crawler

The wheel tire combo look good on her with a proper gap in the wheel well. Can't wait to see more of this.
ngward79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 10:10 PM   #35

can't wait to see it completed.
trailmastersky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 10:25 PM   #36
Rock Crawler

That's a rig
4X4 Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 12:01 PM   #37
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Crap! Just remembered I forgot to reply. Your new stance is much better. Looks like it will still be competitive. Makes me think of this rig that's rollin on a 5" lift and 36's.

Sorry for throwing up another pic but I did it to show you that front bumper(it also looks like he has a RTE rear too). It's made by Rovertym if you want to find more pics. Notice it eliminates the lower part of the fender below the marker light. It's what all classic guys have to do to clear big tires. He obviously had to cut the front flare off which you also may have to do running those big meats.

Your interior is looking umm..... Good, but not very accurate, very functional though. I'll shoot you some pics tomorrow showing how the interior rises at the back seats. I'll also send you some of the inner fender. You may be better off doing it your way but, you might be able to make it look fairly stock while also being functional.

Ben
Thanks Ben, your posts are very helpful. Don't worry on the interior shell, I should have posted a better photo showing that I have the rise in the floor. The wheel wells are supposed to be round, correct? That's an easy fix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DV8ion View Post
What a sexy build. I can't wait to see where you go with this. I'm sure it will be uber awesome as usual I think you made the right choice with the Growlers.
Thanks. Tires are good, but I'm wondering if this build might be better suited to Class 1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngward79 View Post
The wheel tire combo look good on her with a proper gap in the wheel well. Can't wait to see more of this.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailmastersky View Post
can't wait to see it completed.
Golly, me too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4X4 Freak View Post
That's a rig
Appreciate that. More to come this evening.
Old 11-26-2013, 01:32 PM   #38
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by pardonmyn00b View Post
Read the first post.
Yeah thanks.

Now I just need to save up some €€€ to send to Spain.

Once again. Awesome rig!
2.slowduo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 09:27 PM   #39
I wanna be Dave

My driver showed up. Sadly, there hasn't been much more progress. I'm getting back on it now that vacation is looming!

Old 12-18-2013, 09:51 PM   #40

I need one of those bodies.... Definitely will follow this!
Road1will is offline   Reply With Quote

Imthatguy's 1987 Range Rover Classic - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Range Rover Classic build pantablo 1.9 Scale Rigs 82 08-02-2012 06:46 AM
Range Rover Classic on SXC10 Fuxl 1.9 Scale Rigs 0 03-10-2011 12:56 AM
my range rover classic build microrover Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 0 11-24-2010 03:22 AM
Range Rover Classic build - Part 2 51WillysJeep 1.9 Scale Rigs 15 12-09-2009 06:21 AM
Range Rover Classic AeroSynch 1.9 Scale Rigs 3 09-23-2009 01:47 PM