Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: "The Kraken" build-ish thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2014, 08:47 PM   #1

Default "The Kraken" build-ish thread

Bought this poor truck used, and it was kind of a basket case. Now, the only thing left that it had when I bought it are the chassis and links! Never seen another chassis like it, best any of us can figure is it's something similar to a K3?

At any rate, it has become a kind of hybrid mega truck/trail truck build, and is absolutely unstoppable! I wish I had taken more pics of the total rebuild, but I've got plenty after

We do weekly group runs and also work side by side with the Ohio Scale Gurus and the guys from NOSTR. Our group name is Summit County Crawlers and we hail from Northeast Ohio.

I kept the chassis but repainted it, links are going to wait until I can find a suitable set in red.
Running (all new):
-AX10 locked transmission
-MOD 1 spur/pinion
-Hot Racing drive shafts (shake your head, but they've been very strong, reliable, and fit great!)
-38/13 helical cut bevel/diff gear (had a 14/40 straight cut)
-All new axle housings, hubs, ends, etc etc (SCX10 equipment)
-BOCA sealed ceramic bearings (entire truck)
-aluminum Losi 2.2 crawler shocks, 1.4 rate front, 1.8 rear
-Full aluminum shock caps (Losi had cheap plastic ends on them)
-Some piddly things, front mount battery, clear plexiglass electronics tray

Still running 1.9 Ripsaws on Walker Evans, great all around tire, foams are nearly nonexistent and the rubber is so softened it grips like crazy!

Elec:
-XL5 ESC
-Holmes Hobbies Torqumaster Pro 27t hw
-Traxxas 2075 servo (Cheap, strong, waterproof)
-Turnigy 5000mAh 40c 2s
-Spektrum radio gear

This thing is amazing! As capable in all areas as anything we've run with, sees plenty of soupy mud and deep water and keeps on ticking! Next steps are new body, lights, and winch, then upgrading electronics except for the motor, that HH rocks! Going with the HPI '79 Ford body and a simple 2-tone black/silver paint.

Thanks for letting me show off the baby! She's been a labor of love and I'm finally happy with it!

AkronAxial is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

"The Kraken" build-ish thread - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cormier33's CC Smash Build "TEAM OTTSIX Post Season Build Off" official entry thread cormier33 Axial XR10 132 10-26-2014 11:04 PM
"DIABLO" Ottsix Post Season Build Off! offical build thread silver falcon 2.2 Scale Rigs 21 09-06-2014 06:08 PM
Jeep Commander quad pickup "Honcho II"-the build thread pantablo 1.9 Scale Rigs 77 07-28-2008 01:42 PM