Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: First Crawler build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2015, 09:04 PM   #21
Rock Stacker

Default Re: First Crawler build

looks great! id like to see you post a thread about your 1:1! have a 94 4.0 YJ, recently swapped in a 8.8 and just placed an order for RCV D30 shafts
winner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-04-2015, 10:01 PM   #22
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by winner View Post
looks great! id like to see you post a thread about your 1:1! have a 94 4.0 YJ, recently swapped in a 8.8 and just placed an order for RCV D30 shafts
My 1:1 build took 4 years. It's all in the build below. I'll give you a teaser at least.

DaddyJeep Rebuild - Jeep Wrangler Forum
DaddyJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 10:09 PM   #23
I wanna be Dave

What an awesome first build....your son should be real happy....

Your shock/spring question.....use a softer spring and/or a lighter weight shock oil. I like to use a 30 or a 35 weight oil and adjust the spring to accommodate my weight (vehicle weight). If you set the rig down gently, it should compress just a bit and settle..maybe a half inch or so. You could use a limiter strap also...cutting a spring is hard to get even on both sides (for me anyway). Try the softer spring first.

Crawl on sir
Postclanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 10:59 AM   #24
Pebble Pounder

Thanks for the reply Postclanker. I already cut the springs. I cut one full turn off, so It was pretty easy to keep my cuts lined up with the original spring end. I will definitely play around with some shock oils. At least I have a starting point now.
Old 08-07-2015, 09:25 PM   #25
Rock Stacker

wowwwwww i've read your entire jeep build like 4 months ago haha! i dont use wrangler forums often but my JF name is ItsTealNotBlue
Old 08-08-2015, 08:12 PM   #26
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by winner View Post
wowwwwww i've read your entire jeep build like 4 months ago haha! i dont use wrangler forums often but my JF name is ItsTealNotBlue
it's interesting on how we cross paths on multiple forums in different topics. My build is on JF too, I just use WF more often. Thanks for the comment and for stopping by. There wills be a 1/10th DaddyJeep starting very soon.
Old 08-11-2015, 08:12 PM   #27
Pebble Pounder

https://youtu.be/7wKRcLziwEo

Got the punisher shafts installed tonight and the 35T rc4wd motor. The motor is better than stock, but it still needs more.

We stripped the front locker so we only have 3 wheel drive and the rear pinion is all ovet the place up and down. We need to brace the upper link mount to address that.
Old 08-15-2015, 09:23 PM   #28
Pebble Pounder

So, I've read where guys have used the Axial iron cross locker in the Redcat axles with just a little sanding on the stock axle shafts. Well, it took more than a little sanding. I had to take .010" off the flat surfaces and .070" off the radius. With the axles now fitting into the locker it was time to make the locker fit in the stock plastic carrier. The locker portion of the Redcat carrier is just a plastic rod molded in the center. I removed that by carefully drilling it out with a 3/8" drill bit. I had to be careful not to cut through into the bearing support. No one has mentioned anything about modifying the locker, but it stuck up above the edge of the carrier and would not allow the ring gear to seat properly. I didn't get a measurement, but probably ground .075" off the locker.
Old 08-16-2015, 10:22 AM   #29
Rock Stacker

gotta do what you gotta do haha. the most useful tool i have for my RC's is a bench grinder, i can make just about anything with it!
Old 08-16-2015, 08:25 PM   #30
Pebble Pounder

These things happen when the word "custom" is involved. I wanted to make sure I documented it for others that may need the information some day.
Old 08-17-2015, 10:53 AM   #31
Pebble Pounder

We ran our first comp with the truck yesterday and the truck really did surprisingly well. The stock Redcat tires are definitely holding us back, but other than that I think the truck is pretty competitive. A little tweaking and learning the truck and we should be good. Now we need to start working towards some scale points. interior will be coming soon.
Old 08-22-2015, 09:40 PM   #32
Pebble Pounder

URL=http://s15.photobucket.com/user/daddyjeep/media/RC%20Bouncer/20150822_123936.jpg.html][/URL]

So Tucker finally got to drive his truck while it was fully functional. He broke a rod end pretty quickly on one of the front lower links. Picked up some Jato rod ends, some 8-32 threaded rod, and 1/4" brake line. I replaced all of the lower links so we shouldn't have an issue with them for a while.

I also took the 4 1/2" angle grinder to the stock Redcat tires to see if we can get a little more bite out of them.
Old 09-24-2015, 11:03 AM   #33
Pebble Pounder

So I ended up having two threads for this build so I had the mods delete the other one.

To bring this one up to date...Tucker ran the Rock Rod in the NES TTC last weekend and finished 5th in class 3. I was pretty proud that my 12 year old son whooped up on the big boys, with a Redcat no less.

[IMG][/IMG]

The truck is wearing some new body panels with some cool custom graphics and some 2.2 ripsaws off my Wraith.

Tuck was the only driver to get through the mud pit. The lack of power in his truck actually helped him here where guys with more motor had issues overpowering the climbs.
Old 09-24-2015, 12:02 PM   #34
I wanna be Dave

This build is totally awesom, never know it was your first!!! The best thing about it, by far is the quality time you get to spend with your son!!!
And cool that he finished where he did in the class 3.
Keep up the great work.
CODYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 01:05 PM   #35
Pebble Pounder

Thanks Codyboy. You are correct, the best part is doing this with my son.
Old 09-24-2015, 08:05 PM   #36
Rock Stacker

Congrats on a 5th place. First time out with a truck and pulling that is no cake walk. Hope your son enjoys it!
ecd02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 11:12 AM   #37
Pebble Pounder

A couple more shots of the Rock Rod in action.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

First Crawler build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
** Crawler Innovations ** 8 x 8 Crawler Hauler * continuing build thread; pic heavy Nova's Ark Multi Axle Rigs 50 11-30-2019 10:02 AM
Crawler King....My 1st crawler build wyd HPI Wheely King 71 12-19-2014 09:05 AM
Jeep scaler build and comp micro crawler build droopmodmrc Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 1 12-25-2012 12:34 PM
Practice build before I build a real crawler. jm8881 General Crawlers 46 03-13-2005 09:21 PM
TXT Crawler.... Stone Cold Crawler... Full Tube Scale build RockSpyder Tamiya Txt-1 and Juggernaut 6 12-14-2004 09:40 AM