Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: 1986 Toyota IFS build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2016, 01:18 AM   #41
MWRCA'er

Default Re: 1986 Toyota IFS build

Created a Rig Jig to hold everything in place for mock up.

Mnster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-19-2016, 05:20 AM   #42
MWRCA'er

Did a bit more work on it over the weekend. Many many hours of brainstorming and not a whole lot of progress. When the sky is the limit as far as rig design I tend to overthink design and just play out ideas in my mind endlessly. I managed to set the diff height. It's all a guess but it looks to be about right. The little pieces are sometimes the most time consuming. I created these upper diff mounts with the idea that they would bolt in so the diff could always be removed from the top if the bottom ends up being brazed in. I still have yet to set the fore and aft and drill the holes. The diff will of course be supported on the lower end as well. I'm planning to leave the area above the diff empty as the lipo could sit super low and forward.

After pretty much frying my brain with suspension ideas. I took a break and got to work deepening the bed.

Old 12-19-2016, 05:56 AM   #43
I wanna be Dave

Very nice progress - I almost always set the diff too low the first time. Even knowing it last time, I still did it. Look great when building, but as soon as it was standing on 4 wheels, realized it was still way off. Yours looks to be right in the ballpark!
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 05:58 AM   #44
Pebble Pounder

Loving the custom ifs front-end! Hope you get it figured out and running! One thing bugging me though, going for scaleness with the ifs up front, why then are you doing a 4link/coils in the rear? Seems leafs would solve the need to cut through the bed, and have more scale accuracy. Not hating on the rig, its looking sweet, just my .02!

Sent from my SM-G550T1 using Tapatalk
JBcustoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 08:27 AM   #45
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBcustoms View Post
Loving the custom ifs front-end! Hope you get it figured out and running! One thing bugging me though, going for scaleness with the ifs up front, why then are you doing a 4link/coils in the rear? Seems leafs would solve the need to cut through the bed, and have more scale accuracy. Not hating on the rig, its looking sweet, just my .02!

It's not my build but my guess is because real trucks can still have coils and links in the rear and in the rc world those perform better than leaf springs. The crawling performance of the car is already lessened by the ifs so I am guessing he didn't want to lessen it more with leaf springs.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk
Di_Spencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 04:51 PM   #46
Im Brandon

I love it. I had to dig up my old photos of the build I did years ago. Used a mini revo front end that made the suspension geometry very simple.

If I were to do it again I would go your route. The AR44 R&P are hard to beat. You're also controlling the width.

Please continue.
Attached Images

Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 05:26 PM   #47
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnster View Post
Yeah a issue for me is I don't really want a styrene bed. I've done it 3 times prior and it's great. It's just not very durable or impact resistant. This being a IFS rig it's likely going to require a bit more of spirited driving. There is a lot of hillclimbs in the area I crawl and I don't like feeling the anxiety towards wanting to make lines.

But, on the other side I really hate that diamond plate box section they put in the bed of this thing. The half depth seems so half way especially with the space under the bed. Maybe I can create deeper lexan walls or something to get it to sit right.
Agreed. Half height bed is half better than flat, but half as nice as full drop bed lol. Lexan and E6000 (thinner than ShoeGoo and therefore easier to use thin coats) should do very well and be much more durable than styrene, lighter weight and you can paint inside and/or outside of it. Glad you cut out the diamond plate box area too, could patch it with lexan folded and creased to match bed floor lines.

Sweet looking front diff setup so far, nice mounts, pinned Traxxas stubs with MIPs, nice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
I love it. I had to dig up my old photos of the build I did years ago. Used a mini revo front end that made the suspension geometry very simple.

If I were to do it again I would go your route. The AR44 R&P are hard to beat. You're also controlling the width.

Please continue.
I like that too, simple, cheap, pretty durable and width looks good with that body.

Last edited by Natedog; 02-15-2017 at 11:12 AM.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 06:07 PM   #48
MWRCA'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSRC View Post
Very nice progress - I almost always set the diff too low the first time. Even knowing it last time, I still did it. Look great when building, but as soon as it was standing on 4 wheels, realized it was still way off. Yours looks to be right in the ballpark!
Hah thanks it feels good to have a second opinion on it as I still have bit of self doubt if it is correct. I tried to lean towards the to tall rather than the not tall enough. I keep looking at it in worry it might not be tall enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBcustoms View Post

Yeah it's a good question. Leaf are just miserable for performance though. Perhaps in the future if a nice hardbody comes out that I feel worthy of building I will take that route. It's been a long time dream of mine to build a exacting scale replica of a personal vehicle. If I did something like that it would have stock length suspension arms and maybe even torsion bars. For now I'm sort of testing the waters to seeing how something like this performs at a higher performance level. The truth is if it isn't as capable as a box stock SCX10 I probably won't enjoy driving it. At a club event, I have to make lines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon View Post

Please continue.
That thing is pretty trick. I really like the way you blended it to the chassis. Mini revo diff was at the top of my parts list for a while as the t-rex 44 has a matching ring gear. But, when the AR44 came out I just knew. It's hard developing a entire suspension but hopefully this works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
Agreed. Half height bed is half better than flat, but half not as nice as full drop bed. Lexan and E6000 (thinner than ShoeGoo and therefore easier to use thin coats) should do very well and be much more durable than styrene, lighter weight and you can paint inside and/or outside of it. Glad you cut out the diamond plate box area too, could patch it with lexan folded and creased to match bed floor lines.

Sweet looking front diff setup so far, nice mounts, pinned Traxxas stubs with MIPs, nice!

I like that too, simple, cheap, pretty durable and width looks good with that body.
Nice I've never tried a e6000 adhesive. I'm using Goop which is a thicker Shoe goo formula. I never really liked Shoe goo as I never got as good of bond with it. The Goop kinda goops out but seems to wipe off ok while wet. I'm not to concerned as I'll likely paint it with a textured finish that resembles a scaled down bed liner coating. Good idea with the lexan patch. I have styrene groove board but I know Goop melts styrene. Perhaps I'll replicate the grooves to lexan through bending. I'll likely wrap the bed sides and edges with fiber tape just to make it even stronger.
Old 12-19-2016, 08:02 PM   #49
RCC Addict

Mnster, not sure if my two cents are worth much, but I was in a similar situation when assembling Wroncho project a while back. I wanted a drop bed and had just started dabbling with styrene. I added a bed to a Pro-Line body, used Sho-goo to bond it, it has taken quite a few spills and hasn't budged.

Photos.
Attachment 352684

Attachment 352685

Name:  IMG_8659.JPG
Views: 1286
Size:  109.6 KB

Last edited by THX_138; 12-19-2016 at 08:27 PM.
joe122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 08:05 PM   #50
RCC Addict

Mnster, BTW, INSANELY cool build, love the engineering!
joe122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 08:39 PM   #51
Rock Crawler

Great Fabrication skills here.

Keen to see how this turns out.
H2Micr0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 04:44 AM   #52
MWRCA'er

Did some work on creating a bulkhead to hold the arms. I'm not 100% sold on the idea just yet may redesign. Just need to develop sort of a smoother approach. It seems like it would snag quite harshly and ground clearance doesn't seem very ideal. It's quite hard to visualize the suspension assembled from just a few pieces many of which you have to imagine completely.

Old 12-23-2016, 07:32 AM   #53
I wanna be Dave

A lot of 1:1 lift kits have it just like that, but that bulkhead is notched on the lower edge and then plated or boxed in. You could then make some sort of skid to help with the transition
XSRCdesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 04:39 AM   #54
MWRCA'er

Decided a skid plate based design would aid in rock clearance so I tossed the old mount. I do plan to add additional braces to the skid plate.

It took me a few weeks to make a press brake to bend the stainless steel to shape. I didn't want to use a vice this time around.

Got a 1986 grill for the the body.

Picked up some parts to rid the red.

Completed the drop bed.

Last edited by Mnster; 01-23-2017 at 05:30 AM.
Old 01-23-2017, 06:46 AM   #55
I wanna be Dave

That looks really good. Super smart on the press brake
XSRCdesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 07:32 AM   #56
Rock Crawler

X2 that press Brake is saaaaweeet! How big is it physically? Lxwh roughly?
rngrchad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 09:08 AM   #57
Oppan Gangnam Style

Very nice work, good to see you are continuing to work on this. Making things fit together that shouldn't is tough but needing to fab the rest is even harder. Great job and looking forward to more pics.
chino63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 04:25 AM   #58
MWRCA'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by rngrchad View Post
X2 that press Brake is saaaaweeet! How big is it physically? Lxwh roughly?
The throat is like 8" wide. I should have made it larger for the 20ton 1:1 stuff out in the garage. It fits the smaller 8 ton press I keep near my r/c stuff though so it's convenient. Not sure on stock capacity probably thicker than anything on a r/c car though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chino63 View Post
Very nice work, good to see you are continuing to work on this. Making things fit together that shouldn't is tough but needing to fab the rest is even harder. Great job and looking forward to more pics.
Thanks! Yeah the bulk head was my major battle as it was all imagination driven with a bit of luck.

Worked on the suspension arms tonight. Managed to drill the pins better than I had imagined initially. The 1948 Delta drill press exceeded my expectations. I'll likely leave the arms solid as to not snag on rocks. Of course they are just in the beginning stages and will be refined as time moves on.
Old 01-26-2017, 07:25 AM   #59
I wanna be Dave

Nice, I have always admired your building skills, those suspension arms look awesome
cartronicshn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 10:15 AM   #60

Here is a pic of my ifs 4Runner with vaterra twin hammers ifs, and rear axle. Maybe this can assist in your visuals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bagelbreakhq is offline   Reply With Quote

1986 Toyota IFS build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
GCM's 1986 M1009 Blazer Build Generis Vaterra Ascender 134 01-14-2016 09:09 PM
banshee build (ifs and more ;) dieseldee Axial Wraith 0 02-17-2014 12:07 PM
IFS axial build red_zook General Scale Talk 6 04-28-2012 08:43 AM
1986 suzuki samurai build neightfrog 1.9 Scale Rigs 32 06-12-2009 02:16 PM
1986-95 Toyota bodies Biscuit Paint and Body 12 04-06-2008 01:22 PM