Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Class 1 f350 build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2017, 03:49 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Class 1 f350 build

So I first I must say how much of a pleasure Ernie (Codyboy) is to do business with. What a huge help with all my questions about his axles and getting me a custom set I needed for this build.

Onto the story. I stumbled into this forum out of boredom. I had just finished a tf2 build. I have been a leaf spring guy from the beginning. But then I saw some Codyboy steering and fell in love. I will be honest, I hate scx10 based builds. HATE. I do not like cheap lexan bodies like the deadbolt body. They drive me nuts scale wise. So an xr mod was always out of the question and a scx10ii was never even a thought with the backwards attempt at a trans setup. Anyways, I scored a 2 good deals locally. A slider ripped apart in a box and a new rtr slider. I built the box one and sold it to get my money back and decided I was gonna build the other as a class 2.

Then I found out you could narrow ascender axles easily and was completely sold. Parted the tf2.

Bye. (local guys k10)

I like a scale hardbody with interior. So originally I bought GCM forward motor mount and had Circle City RC print me a custom flat skid. Assembled the kit and immediately knew this wasn't gonna work. The motor is so high and it hit the interior of my tf2 body. So I sold it all. But I would recommend Circle City skids to anyone. Link risers built in. Smooth also. Fast turnaround.

By this time I had already purchased a front axle from Ernie. But decided I wanted to narrow it. This is customer service at its finest. He let me ship the housing back and he got me one narrowed 4mm on each side without costing me anything extra. To narrow 8mm I did have to cut some off the universals so they don't touch in the middle. But there is more than enough left where they won't spin off. Sorry for the lack of pics here.

I knew I wanted to use these axles so I almost bought a GCM cmax chassis but didn't wanna drop another $200 into it I decided to make the ascender chassis work with the Rc4wd r4 trans I had from my tf2 part. The mount is the Rc4wd motor mount. I cut about 2mm off each side and it fits right in the frame rails. I originally mounted in the back shock tower holes but the front upper link mount would hit my motor. So I slid it back a couple mm to just clear.

The silver bolt is the trans mount.

I tried to keep the double servo mount for a winch but I couldn't get it to fit with the motor so swb servo it was.

My lower link mounts are now on the frame rails close to where the skit mounted them on the 290 wb. Since I'm running a 11.3 body and the motor limited what links I could run I found this to be best. My lower links are 68mm. This puts the shock almost touching the panhard mount at full compression.

I had to use an strc aluminum front mount trimmed to clear the motor.

The rest was just lining up everything to make sure it clears.

I had to use this driveshaft to clear the trans during compression. It's a scx10 shaft. I put the vanquish adapters in my axles.

The rear will be leaf spring. Ernie is building my a rear axle right now for a custom leaf set up. I'll take more pics when that comes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by durfeec; 04-06-2017 at 04:26 PM.
durfeec is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-06-2017, 04:36 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Kind of an ascender build.

Nice start Bud, you are really thinking out of the box on this one. Glad I could help you out with the mods. Now that I have you hooked on my axles I think I can keep the mod on the rear to under $2000!
All joking aside, I thought I would get it today but didn't see it, maybe tomorrow.
Ernie
CODYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 04:47 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Off to a great start sir....Lots going on up front there.

Sure has been a bunch of Ascender builds here lately. Glad it's finally getting some attention - it's a great platform.

Last edited by OSRC; 04-06-2017 at 04:49 PM.
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 05:13 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

OK, now I see why that skid didn't work for your application. I like where this is going, love the Yota hardbody builds and Ernie is great to work with! Your suspension, steering and all is fitting like a glove.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 08:24 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Dig the steering link for sure. How did you bend it?
rag6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 02:29 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by rag6 View Post
Dig the steering link for sure. How did you bend it?

It's just 8/32" all thread. It'll bend with vise grips and your thumb. It's only for mock up.

Old 04-11-2017, 06:18 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Your axle is all done, will put it in the mail in the morning.
Ernie

Old 04-11-2017, 06:26 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by CODYBOY View Post
Your axle is all done, will put it in the mail in the morning.

Ernie

Thanks! Really appreciate the work. Look forward to getting it all out together.

Old 04-14-2017, 01:00 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

I got the axle housing for the rear from Ernie today. Thanks for the fast shipping!

I mocked everything up. Works perfect. Here is my leaf set up without spending a ton at GCM and without all the extra brackets. I cut the shock and link mounts off. Used gmade ubolts. My axles are narrowed 4mm per side. That's why the shock mount is so close to the tire. Shocks are 90mm

Old 04-14-2017, 02:11 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by durfeec View Post
I got the axle housing for the rear from Ernie today. Thanks for the fast shipping!

I mocked everything up. Works perfect. Here is my leaf set up without spending a ton at GCM and without all the extra brackets. I cut the shock and link mounts off. Used gmade ubolts. My axles are narrowed 4mm per side. That's why the shock mount is so close to the tire. Shocks are 90mm

Nice job engineering Cameron. I think the brass tubes inside the axle should keep your u-bolts from collapsing the axle housing. Keep up the out of the box thinking!
Ernie
Old 04-14-2017, 02:32 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Nice job engineering Cameron. I think the brass tubes inside the axle should keep your u-bolts from collapsing the axle housing. Keep up the out of the box thinking!

Ernie

I did this with a set of ssd d60 axles last year. Just like you said you can collapse the plastic. I knew I'd need brass inside. Thanks for the help with everything.

I bought a set of 100mm Gmade RSD shocks to try on the front. I don't think people try a lot of their product because it's not carried by a lot of people in the US. But it's really underrated.

They give you 3 sets of pistons to tune. I opted to try the 4 slots to start. By feel I would start with the 3 next time but I'll try these for now.

Old 04-14-2017, 02:36 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

I had those in my basket when RPP first got them in, but never pulled the trigger. And your right, they are underrated as far as quality.
Ernie
Old 04-15-2017, 12:48 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

So last year when I made a ssd d60 housing a rear leaf I just drilled the housing like I did this one and used gmade perches. But instantly found the leaf would wrap on the round axle. So I copied the sawback axle and made a perch mount. Worked perfect. So I did the same here. Simply stacked styrene and hit it with a round sand drum on the dremel. Then just glued them on. You can change the pinion angle just by sanding the top layer.

Old 04-19-2017, 04:55 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Class 1 f350 build

Here is a mock up shot of the body. With the 8mm narrow and flares I just get enough for class 1 coverage. I also started a drop bed to meet sorrca rules as the stock body isn't enough for drop bed points.

Old 05-13-2017, 08:28 PM   #15
Pebble Pounder

I've been bad at pics but I took this to its first comp. Was also the first run. Nothing broke. This truck just works.

Old 05-13-2017, 09:27 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I've been bad at pics but I took this to its first comp. Was also the first run. Nothing broke. This truck just works.

Hey Cameron, great job!!! It must feel good that you stepped out of the box on this build and it really did work. A pat on the back to you. Are you able to utilize all of the steering you gained with my axle set up? I really did enjoy working with you to figure them out. Are you using the new shocks on the truck, and how do you like?
Keep up the good work.
Ernie
Old 05-14-2017, 06:11 AM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Wow Cameron after watching that truck perform yesterday I think you have me convinced on ditching all my scx10ii axles and doing the codyboy mod. Congrats on that first place Win. and hope to see you do it all over again next weekend at Richfield.
clayton78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 06:37 AM   #18
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Hey Cameron, great job!!! It must feel good that you stepped out of the box on this build and it really did work. A pat on the back to you. Are you able to utilize all of the steering you gained with my axle set up? I really did enjoy working with you to figure them out. Are you using the new shocks on the truck, and how do you like?

Keep up the good work.

Ernie

I can almost use all the steering. Being narrowed does cut me a little short because my tires hit the links. But well worth the money. I did use the gmade shocks. A bit disappointed. They leaked sitting on my bench. I'm going to rebuild them but with the 3 hole piston instead of the 4. They worked well paired with the leafs in the rear.

I only put 2.5 oz in each front tire. Nothing in the rear. And I'm using plastic wheels. No problem side billing with the weight in the axles. I can't say enough good things about gear axles and the service. Thanks again Ernie. Hopefully I can steer a couple local guys your way this season. I think I already got Clayton78.

Old 05-14-2017, 08:30 PM   #19
Pebble Pounder

Here are some pics from the comp. I have a couple things to tidy up. Raise the front bumper. Finish the interior. Stickers.

Old 05-15-2017, 10:41 AM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Thanks for the updates, congratulations on your comp win, nice license plate included with trophy! Love the leafed rear, linked front setup, hardbody, wheels and all looks great!
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote

Class 1 f350 build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ascender Build seth556 Vaterra Ascender 12 01-05-2015 03:13 AM
Fresh off the machine! My next build another one of a kind. ohboy221 Axial SCX-10 22 12-22-2014 03:27 PM
Different kind of Wroncho build C_Money Axial SCX-10 4 12-05-2013 09:31 AM
Kind of gay, non RC build thread Chris_The_Battery_Man Chit Chat 15 01-10-2011 02:13 AM
Different kind of Hummer build corkyjr05 1.9 Scale Rigs 4 06-06-2008 10:58 PM