Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: My HPI Venture is on it's way...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2017, 06:52 AM   #21

Default Re: My HPI Venture is on it's way...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSXGMC View Post
I'm baffled why you haven't. TRX-4 is getting rave reviews except for a couple to-be-expected issues (electronics mainly), but should no doubt run circles around this HPI. Better yet order an SCX2 kit and enjoy the trails!
You had me until you said SCX10 II. With all of the new trucks coming out the SCX10 just feels stale to me - ancient design with a centered trans. Sure, it still works well, but there are too many other options out there and in the works.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-06-2017, 08:12 AM   #22
Rock Crawler

"The Hpi is set up awesome right out of the box it seems"

Yes mechanically and design/layout wise so lets hope that hold true, but the electronics on the RTR is far from impressing.
At least i have realized that when i get mine the steering servo will be replaced and a BEC will be added before the wheels touch the ground.
But other than that i will run it stock for a while but only as my financial situation force me to do so.

I have decided against the TRX-4, primarily based on everyone else have one, in among my friend and the guys we some times wheel with there are or will soon be four TRX-4, so i will leave that to those guys.

Also i do hope the other bodies HPI talk about will NOT be painted, cuz that would just be a disaster, but otherwise i do welcome more bodies to choose from.
Peaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 08:16 AM   #23
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
You had me until you said SCX10 II. With all of the new trucks coming out the SCX10 just feels stale to me - ancient design with a centered trans. Sure, it still works well, but there are too many other options out there and in the works.

Hard to argue that if you're looking for something different. The TRX4 would definitely top the list in my opinion in that category. However if you want a reliable, capable truck with tons of aftermarket support, hard to argue the SCX2 (and the Ascender, Jato! LOL) aren't worthwhile. I'm just finishing up my second SCX2 right now.

One truck that's intriguing is the MST CFX-W, but there's little to no support for it (at the time of writing this) other than their own aftermarket parts so o don't think many are taking that route right now. Quality isn't the issue there from what I understand though, which is great.

If the HPI ever actually makes its way into customers' hands, it'll be interesting. But at this point you'd be foolish to wait for it, unless you've got something/everything else already to run with.
LSXGMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 08:28 AM   #24

Quote:
If the HPI ever actually makes its way into customers' hands, it'll be interesting. But at this point you'd be foolish to wait for it, unless you've got something/everything else already to run with.
I agree with this 100%! If you wait for the HPI you'll miss an entire summer of crawling and possibly more.
Old 07-06-2017, 07:27 PM   #25
Rock Crawler

Thank god my friend have plenty of trucks i can leech on.
But it is always more fun to drive your own that's for sure

Besides Summer haven't really hit Denmark yet, seem like this global warming dont apply here cuz our summers the past 3 years have been pretty mundane.

Last edited by Peaker; 07-06-2017 at 07:30 PM.
Old 07-06-2017, 09:11 PM   #26
Rock Crawler

Quote:

One truck that's intriguing is the MST CFX-W, but there's little to no support for it (at the time of writing this) other than their own aftermarket parts so o don't think many are taking that route right now. Quality isn't the issue there from what I understand though, which is great.
The CFX-W has been on my radar too, mostly because I have a body already for it that the wheelbase matches and they have a bare kit with no body. It would be funny to jump on board the portal craze wagon thats going on right now also lol.
As for aftermarket support, I'm seeing more and more each day but mostly from its country of origin and AsiaTees/Boom where they seem to love it.
MattySlimz1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 10:03 PM   #27
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peaker View Post
Looks like Cory and the guys at RPP pushed back the expected in stock date again.

It seem like HPI do not have the same attitude toward promises as i have, i do believe that guy in the video say ready for summer 2017.
By august summer is almost over.

I myself used promises ( to myself ) to first stop smoking cigarettes, and then a year later ditch a decades long abuse of cannabis, and both i just did a cold turkey on.

Keeping promises are crucial to me, its what define people i want to be around.
Technically, in North America summer is June 20th to September 22. I do get what you're saying though. I really want to give HPI the benefit of the doubt, but one delay after another doesn't look good
makya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 10:42 AM   #28
RCC Addict

Quote:
I'm baffled why you haven't. TRX-4 is getting rave reviews except for a couple to-be-expected issues (electronics mainly), but should no doubt run circles around this HPI. Better yet order an SCX2 kit and enjoy the trails!
I've already got a 10.1, a 10.2 and chinese 6x6 so I'm not hurting for a rig to play with...

The higher price point on the TRX discourages me a little. I know I'll spend the same or more on any other rig, it's just that initial bite that stings a bit..

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattySlimz1987 View Post
That's awesome. It's looking like you'll be the first here to own one. Be sure to give us some compairison insight.
I saw RcMart (out of all places) was starting to take money for them, pre-order, so I guess that means its FINALLY on its way here. How many years in the making? I saw info on this back before my daughter was born. I really hope HPI takes a turn for the good on this one and gets back on their feet. I hope its durable and I hope it gets good aftermarket support. With the release of a new (competitive) scale HPI crawler, it will bring most major brand rc scale trucks full circle.
I definitely plan to give as much feedback on this thing as I can, assuming HPI actually ships them some day...

Quote:
"The Hpi is set up awesome right out of the box it seems"

Yes mechanically and design/layout wise so lets hope that hold true, but the electronics on the RTR is far from impressing.
At least i have realized that when i get mine the steering servo will be replaced and a BEC will be added before the wheels touch the ground.
But other than that i will run it stock for a while but only as my financial situation force me to do so.

I have decided against the TRX-4, primarily based on everyone else have one, in among my friend and the guys we some times wheel with there are or will soon be four TRX-4, so i will leave that to those guys.

Also i do hope the other bodies HPI talk about will NOT be painted, cuz that would just be a disaster, but otherwise i do welcome more bodies to choose from.
There'll be at least a few TRX4's around me as well. I'm interested to try one out but I still like the looks/layout of the Venture better.

I agree the electronics on the Venture look like they'll be junk. I've already got servo, motor and BEC stranding by. I can't believe they actually spec'd the servo they did. That's a pathetically weak little unit..

I'm pretty sure there will be an unpainted FJ body available, there's pictures around of one that's been done in red. HPI indicated on the FB feed for the Venture that there would be clear bodies at some point.

Gives me hope for a kit being released as well...

Quote:
I agree with this 100%! If you wait for the HPI you'll miss an entire summer of crawling and possibly more.
I won't be missing out on any crawling, I'd lose my mind if I did!
QuesoDelDiablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 09:27 AM   #29
Quarry Creeper

I've ordered the HPI as well, look forward to toying with it. I've been enjoying my CFX-W and also my new TRX 4. we'll see how it compares.
alexleblanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 11:34 AM   #30
Rock Crawler

I have just seen where i have ordered the Venture its now pushed back to August 21

I am now pretty sure i will have to change that order to a TRX-4,,,,,, i dont want to but i dont have anything else i want to drive, and this joke from HPI just force my hand / wallet to go elsewhere.

And i am pretty sure by August 21 it will be pushed back again,,,, HPI really need to lay off some people and replace them with other people, and probably "disrupt" their business model.

Its a damn shame.
Old 07-26-2017, 04:21 AM   #31
RCC Addict

What a best choice TRX-4.
Teng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 01:47 PM   #32
RCC Addict

Quote:
I have just seen where i have ordered the Venture its now pushed back to August 21

I am now pretty sure i will have to change that order to a TRX-4,,,,,, i dont want to but i dont have anything else i want to drive, and this joke from HPI just force my hand / wallet to go elsewhere.

And i am pretty sure by August 21 it will be pushed back again,,,, HPI really need to lay off some people and replace them with other people, and probably "disrupt" their business model.

Its a damn shame.
Yup, it's been pushed back again.

I got an email from RPP (Thanks Zack) to inform me that HPI has in fact pushed delivery back to mid September.

So far, RPP is proving themselves to have immensely better customer service than HPI which makes me glad I selected them as my place to order from.

While I still have faith that HPI will get these, their constantly creeping delay is getting pretty tiresome.

I did reach out to HPI to plead my case and remind them that every delay is costing them potential customers who end up going with a 10.2 or a TRX4. I was impressed that they actually took the time to reply, but they really didn't have anything significant to say besides that they were trying to get these out there. They even addressed my offer to do unboxing and review videos for them, but unfortunately all of their press kits are already spoken for.

At this point, the money is already out of my account so I'm just going to try and forget that I'm even expecting this rig. If it ever shows up it'll be a nice surprise...

Apparently my order is among the first ten or so at RPP so if/when they ever receive any I should get mine fairly quickly..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teng View Post
What a best choice TRX-4.
It's not the rig for me. I find it to be overly complicated and loaded with features I don't want or need. It's also a lot higher priced but still needs upgrades for durability..
Old 08-02-2017, 01:55 PM   #33

Vaporware...
Old 08-02-2017, 01:57 PM   #34
clm
Quarry Creeper

Had I not gotten the TRX I probably would have gone for a CFX... if I knew about it then. That planetary transmission is rather unique.

But not getting a truck because others have got one is a little silly, they are but unmolded blocks of clay ready for you to personalize... although variety is nice too ;)
clm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 03:01 PM   #35
RCC Addict

Quote:
Vaporware...
I'm not going to disagree with you on that one...

Quote:
Originally Posted by clm View Post
Had I not gotten the TRX I probably would have gone for a CFX... if I knew about it then. That planetary transmission is rather unique.

But not getting a truck because others have got one is a little silly, they are but unmolded blocks of clay ready for you to personalize... although variety is nice too ;)
Sorry, I'm confused by your post. Did I imply that I wasn't getting a rig because other people have it? Or was that directed at someone else?

The CFX is a nice truck, I dind't realize it has a plantery trans, I'm going to have to look into that. If I give up on waiting for the Venture then the CFX will probably my next choice. In the meantime though, I've got lots of other rigs to play with so I'm in no hurry. In fact, the longer this one takes the more time I have to spend on other projects...
Old 08-02-2017, 03:11 PM   #36
clm
Quarry Creeper

Nope nothing like that, merely that others owning something shouldn't put someone off buying something if they really like it. Customizing is the heart of this hobby
clm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 05:18 PM   #37
I wanna be Dave

@ Queso- I admire your constant upbeat optimism about getting this rig. I honestly hope that it will live up to your expectations. At this point, maybe ask RPP to gift wrap it so it can be under your xmas tree.
BigSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 05:48 PM   #38
Rock Crawler

Moneys been out of your account for how long? and now they're saying mid-September? Sounds like Gm and when they needed a bail-out..I'd start charging them interest, its like they took peoples money to pay the power bill on the factory to get the assembly robots fired up.
MattySlimz1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 08:44 AM   #39
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSki View Post
@ Queso- I admire your constant upbeat optimism about getting this rig. I honestly hope that it will live up to your expectations. At this point, maybe ask RPP to gift wrap it so it can be under your xmas tree.
Thanks, I really hope it delivers what I expect too. I'm not deluding myself into thinking it will be anything more than it is; I know it's going to need some serious upgrades to be a performer (servo, bec, rims for sure; links almost certainly, tires, rims and esc highly likely) but I'm still really looking forward to a lot of the design features of it.

Good call on the gift wrapping, but my birthday is at the end of April - maybe that would be a more realistic target...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattySlimz1987 View Post
Moneys been out of your account for how long? and now they're saying mid-September? Sounds like Gm and when they needed a bail-out..I'd start charging them interest, its like they took peoples money to pay the power bill on the factory to get the assembly robots fired up.

Haha, I like that idea. But it's RPP that I paid and they're great, if I could find a way to penalize HPI I definitely would...
Old 08-03-2017, 10:15 AM   #40
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Vaporware...
Sure seems that way. They announced this thing like what going on 2 years ago?

Even if they do manage to get it out eventually, I'd be concerned about their ability to deliver a supply of spare parts.
NickelPlate is offline   Reply With Quote

My HPI Venture is on it's way... - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
No HPI Venture Frank211 General Scale Talk 111 12-14-2017 04:55 PM
HPI Venture Toyota FJ Cruiser RTR - Pre-order Yours Now! RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 3 05-25-2017 09:20 AM
Hpi "Venture" FJ Cruiser Wade General Crawlers 1 01-28-2016 09:56 PM
Video of new HPI Venture, Lots more details!! Capwn General Scale Talk 4 01-27-2016 06:56 PM
Another venture. aubie Chit Chat 6 12-25-2005 05:35 AM