Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Defender D90 Rat Rod

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2019, 07:32 PM   #121
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Defender D90 Rat Rod

The second door received the same treatment as the first with the new window opening profile and were put aside while I decided if I go for the Defender series 3 door handles or stick with the Puma ones, and how to make the interior door panel.

Therefore, I got around to designing the exhaust collector on my CAD, printed the drawing to scale and cutting the rough shape on my band saw in the blank I laminated yesterday.

After finishing the exterior shape with hand files, I went on my drill press and machined the mating flanges on both sides of the collector and rough shaped the fillets with a fresh X-Acto blade.

D
valheru is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-19-2019, 07:06 PM   #122
Quarry Creeper

...and just like that, the exhaust collector is done; ready to receive its turbocharger, of which, the first section of piping is under construction.

While the putty cures on the piping, the door handles took a trip down memory lane from 2007 to 1984 with 3D printed inserts of Series 3 door handle assemblies.

But wait, what is this, the levers went missing...?!?

D
Old 05-20-2019, 06:52 PM   #123
Quarry Creeper

I decided to fabricate working door handles for project D-Rat; they will be made out of the 3D printed parts I recently received and good old styrene with a “can-do” attitude!

It’s a work in progress; I went with a cam type latch design for its overall simplicity and strength.

In parallel to the latch system, I am further refining the first turbocharger pipe by shaping a bell mouth at one end.

D
Old 05-21-2019, 09:13 PM   #124
Quarry Creeper

I can’t wait to hear this beast roar... brap... psht... braaap!

A compound turbo setup is in the works for the Cummins 4BT engine project D-Rat is being fitted with.

The up-pipe to the second turbo is done and both turbos are now glued to the exhaust collector.

The inlet pipe going from the secondary turbo to the intake of the primary is currently in progress.

I still need to figure out the exhaust stack’s shape and orientation; straight up would be the obvious choice, but amongst the first things to probably be sheared off in a roll-over.

Looks like I have some thinking to do!

Also, the door handle conversion to Series 3 is still in progress; I am still refining of the cam profile and I still need to figure out how to modify the body side of the latch.

D
Old 05-22-2019, 01:09 AM   #125
Pebble Pounder

Dude this looks awesome I wish I had time patience an skill to do half stuff your doin!!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk
robbark34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 08:35 PM   #126
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbark34 View Post
Dude this looks awesome I wish I had time patience an skill to do half stuff your doin!!
Thank you

D
Old 05-23-2019, 08:25 PM   #127
Quarry Creeper

The fabrication of the compound turbocharger setup for D-Rat’s scale Cummins 4BT engine is almost finished, this includes the exhaust stack; remaining are the pipes going to and from the intercooler.

The exterior of the doors, post new handle surgery, are ready for paint, I just need to slot the body to receive the latch and fabricate an inner door panel.

I replaced the original wooden rectangular center brace I made for the windshield section by a styrene one that matches the outer profile of the opening for some visual consistency and I finished shaping the katana shifter grip.

Also, for high stress joints, I am trying out a carbon and rubber reinforced superglue, which is black in color. Will be interesting to see how it fares out on the rocks.

D
Old 05-24-2019, 09:07 AM   #128
Pebble Pounder

[QUOTE

Also, for high stress joints, I am trying out a carbon and rubber reinforced superglue, which is black in color. Will be interesting to see how it fares out on the rocks.

D [/QUOTE]

I have been using the carbon rubber infused CA for a few years now and it is amazingly strong, much stronger than regular CA!!!
edjo69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 09:31 PM   #129
Quarry Creeper

I finished a few items on project D-Rat and advanced a few more.

The Deadpool spiked thru the head rear view mirror ornament is done, as well as a new front windshield, which was cut out of 1 mm thick Lexan.

For the front door conversation to Series 3; I carved the latch receiver on one side and trimmed the stock inner door panel to the new window opening. The second door is still in progress.

New side windows will follow soon after I am done with modifying both front doors.

D
Old 05-27-2019, 06:58 PM   #130
I wanna be Dave

Wicked detailing...

Didn't know you were going all the way for functional handles and the like!
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 05:28 AM   #131
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by durok View Post
Wicked detailing...

Didn't know you were going all the way for functional handles and the like!
Thank you, me neither, kinda just went there by evolution.

D
Old 06-09-2019, 11:27 AM   #132
Quarry Creeper

Small update; both doors conversion to Defender series 3 handles are finished including the side windows and I spent the last few evenings using Photoshop to plan the paint scheme I want to apply to project D-Rat.

If all goes well, it should be a semi-gloss black with a metallic red ghost “sticker bomb”.

I hope I can achieve my vision, as this will be my first ever airbrush experience and using a vinyl plotter, but first I need to fix my air hose reel that blew the o-rings on the spindle, thus leaking badly.

D
Old 06-10-2019, 12:16 AM   #133
Quarry Creeper

Looking wild ... Is excited to see the finished result
RødeDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 02:47 PM   #134
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RødeDK View Post
Looking wild ... Is excited to see the finished result
Thank you

Yesterday evening I took the time to mock-up the actual sticker bomb layout onto the body, tweaked the size of some of the elements and moved a few around.

I am pretty happy with the end result.

I also did my first test cut with my Silhouette Cameo 3 into regular vinyl, me thinks I will like playing with this machine!

Now I just need to unwrap my first airbrush and get familiar with it, before painting a couple of test swatches of the ghost effect I want to apply to D-Rat.

D
Old 06-10-2019, 08:16 PM   #135
Rock Stacker

Just read the entire thread start to finish and you sir, are a true artist. Every piece of this build is fantastic. Keep up the good work!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Statenheimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 07:44 PM   #136
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statenheimer View Post
Just read the entire thread start to finish and you sir, are a true artist. Every piece of this build is fantastic. Keep up the good work!
Thank you

Finishing up little details on D-Rat’s scale engine; the fuel lines and the exhaust stack are done.

The couplings are ready to receive the intercooler piping once it is made, I just need to decide what to make the piping out of.

D
Old 06-13-2019, 11:23 PM   #137
Quarry Creeper

I hooked up my airbrush for the first time this evening; in-line water separator, regulator and dryer cartridge.

Did a few pattern tests on cardboard to dial in the pressure before applying the primer to the steering servo cover.

The finish isn’t as smooth as with rattle cans... kind of grainy look to it... from what I know, the paint is either drying mid-air before binding to the surface (didn’t have the “wet” look I am used to with rattle cans) or the layer thickness I applied is too thin.

D
Old 06-14-2019, 02:54 PM   #138
Quarry Creeper

I am satisfied enough with my beginner’s skills with an airbrush to start applying primer to some pieces of D-Rat.

I may leave the interior that colour or go a lighter shade of gray.

D
Old 06-14-2019, 07:39 PM   #139
Quarry Creeper

So many individual parts to paint and weather on project D-Rat... good progress, but slow going.

Also, the stencils were successfully cut in Oramask 813 film on my new Silhouette Cameo 3 plotter.

D
Old 06-15-2019, 03:06 AM   #140
Pebble Pounder

Dude this is awesome loving the attention to detail

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk
robbark34 is offline   Reply With Quote

Defender D90 Rat Rod - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rat Rod 1/6 Husy Large Scale Rigs 2 02-17-2013 04:36 AM
Pro Street Rat Rod '47 Ford Pickup Rat Racer thingy on Ebay... STANG KILLA SS Chit Chat 21 12-31-2012 09:54 AM
CJ Rat Rod? BJoe Chit Chat 13 09-15-2009 05:30 PM