Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: G-Speed V3 build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2020, 06:26 PM   #21
RCC Addict

Default Re: G-Speed V3 build

Looks like you had a good time! And nice find on the link, I hate when I make little Mistakes like that but it happens.

I’ll weigh in on the tires, we run on quite a bit of slick rock here and the flat irons in G8 are awesome. I could only imagine In predator they would be even better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fricker08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-18-2020, 07:51 PM   #22
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fricker08 View Post
Looks like you had a good time! And nice find on the link, I hate when I make little Mistakes like that but it happens.

I’ll weigh in on the tires, we run on quite a bit of slick rock here and the flat irons in G8 are awesome. I could only imagine In predator they would be even better.

Looks like proline doesn't make them in predator? Seems odd, the predator compound is great in the Hyrax and Krawler KX.

We have a lot of limestone and granite here, from crumbly limestone, to grippy limestone, to super smooth and slick...pretty much same thing for the granite around here.

I may have to try out the flat irons soon, they sound like a great option.

Cheers,
Gable
pcgab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 08:03 AM   #23
Pebble Pounder

And it happened...... I ordered capra axle parts last night.

Axial Capra axle cases
Vanquish universals and rear straight shafts
Vanquish spools
SSD brass portal covers
SSD Brass knuckles
Team Garage Hack wild od portal gears for the front, and standard portal gears for the rear
Supershafty rear upper link relocation bracket
Team Garage Hack axle panhard mount
Team Garage Hack chassis panhard mount
Avid bearing kit from TGH

Need to order some tgh wheels, so I can keep my track width nice and tight. I also need to order a new link kit from Hardcore RC, as soon as they're back in stock.

My plan is to build the axles, get them shimmed and set up nice and tight. Once I get the links and wheels in, I'll make the swap. I will likely wait a few weeks, as I have some underdrive gears for the rear ar44 axle that is currently in the rig. I want to spend some time driving the rig with the ar44's and ~35% od, before I swap to the portals.

I'm excited about trying the portals, the rocks around here are chock full of diff grabbers.

Cheers,
Gable
Old 10-20-2020, 09:25 AM   #24
Go Buckeyes!

Great looking build!

That is one heck of a build list! Nice to see you are using top notch parts to make it a great performing rig!

I've got my eye on this chassis and have been thinking about building one this winter!

Subscribed and looking forward to following along with your build!
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 12:30 PM   #25
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-MOW71 View Post
Great looking build!

That is one heck of a build list! Nice to see you are using top notch parts to make it a great performing rig!

I've got my eye on this chassis and have been thinking about building one this winter!

Subscribed and looking forward to following along with your build!
Thanks, I'm loving the rig so far. It is quite capable and a blast to drive.

I just happened to check Hardcore RC and they have the links I need back in stock, so I've got those on the way now as well.

I may go ahead and order the wheels this week. I'm not in much of a rush

Cheers,
Gable
Old 10-20-2020, 05:58 PM   #26
RCC Addict

That sounds like quite the build list for the axles! Should be quite the upgrade. Can’t wait to see the “finished” product

Old 10-21-2020, 08:59 PM   #27
Pebble Pounder

I received a set of Vanquish under-drive gears for ar44 axles today, and popped them in the rear axle. I put a new set of fast eddy bearings in as well, and shimmed the rear axle a little better than it had been.

I was able to get out to the quarry for an hour or so this evening and test out the new gears. This should take me to ~>30% I think. I think closer to ~35%.

The change was more dramatic than I thought it would be. It pulls up and over with much more authority now, and can pull to either side and up with quite a bit of increased agility and aggressiveness.

So far I am very happy with the increased performance. We're going back to the big creek and falls area Saturday morning, so I will get a lot more testing there. I'm going to try and get some video as well.

I snapped a few pics of the area in quarry I went to today. This was my first time crawling this spot, and it was fantastic. So many obstacles to choose from, from very challenging to relatively easy. There are also plenty of 'trail' areas, though that's not really my primary interest.

Cheers,
Gable
Attached Images

Old 10-21-2020, 09:25 PM   #28
Gold Star Baby!

Nice bunch of rocks right there. Glad you’re having fun with this build and looking forward to seeing the axle swap.
Topher Builds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 10:13 AM   #29
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topher Builds View Post
Nice bunch of rocks right there. Glad you’re having fun with this build and looking forward to seeing the axle swap.
The best part is, there is ~16 acres of those rocks in the quarry...

I'm getting very excited about the axle swap, I think most of the components show up today. I'm still looking for wheels to give me the correct offset.

I'm hoping to get back to the quarry today, try out a few more lines in the new area.

Cheers,
Gable
Old 10-22-2020, 08:40 PM   #30
Pebble Pounder

I was lucky enough to get out to the quarry again this afternoon, and had an absolute blast. I went to the same general area as yesterday and found a ton of new spots. I was actually able to get some video, I'll go through it and get it uploaded this weekend. I think I caught a certain jerk rock trying to pop the body off my truck. Clearly it had nothing to do with the stubborn driver trying to make a bad line work....'clearly'...

I was able to hit a few obstacles today that surprised me, I was also able to tumble off a few obstacles that I thought would have been much easier.....hubris strikes again.

I got a bunch of Capra axle parts in today, and realized that the portal gears I ordered for the front axle are the wrong ones. I ordered the Team Garage Hack 'wild' , ~36% iirc, that with the 15% I already have to the front from the Team Garage Hack transfer case would give me entirely too much od, ~51%. Unfortunately the 'mild' gear sets are out of stock for the moment, hopefully they''ll be back in stock soon.

This reminds me of a question I've been meaning to ask. The ring and pinions for Capra/AR45's appear to be nearly, or exactly the same as the ring and pinions for the AR44 axles. Is that correct, or am I crazy?

A few pics from today's fun...
Attached Images

Old 10-22-2020, 09:00 PM   #31
Gold Star Baby!

Same ring and pinions, axial just made them 6 bolt in the Capra/ar45.

As far as your overdrive situation, you could flip the gears and plates in your tcase and overdrive the rear. That’d get you to a much more modest ~ 20%, at least for the time being.

Looking forward to the video
Topher Builds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 07:51 AM   #32
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Same ring and pinions, axial just made them 6 bolt in the Capra/ar45.
That's what I thought, thank you for confirming!

Quote:
As far as your overdrive situation, you could flip the gears and plates in your tcase and overdrive the rear. That’d get you to a much more modest ~ 20%, at least for the time being.

Looking forward to the video

I thought about that, and I may try it. I'm not in a huge rush to make the switch to the capra axles, as the ar44's are working very well for me. Obviously the ar44's tend to hang a bit easier, so I am quite excited to have a bit more pumpkin clearance. On the otherhand, I love the lower cog for sidehilling and the tendency to 'stick' to the obstacles.

I'm going to do a bit of maintenance today on the rig, clean up a few small bits. I am planning on being up at the creek pretty early tomorrow morning, so I don't want to leave anything to do first am. I bought more battery packs, so if Amazon delivers them today, as they say they will, I'll be bringing 7 packs with me for tomorrow's fun....

Cheers,
Gable
Old 10-26-2020, 09:57 AM   #33
Pebble Pounder

I got the correct portal gears ordered, should be here in a few days. Just a few odds and ends to get before I can assemble them. Links are on the way already as well.

Saturday morning at the big creek was awesome! We did a lot of crawling, and had a blast.

Cheers,
Gable
Attached Images

Old 10-26-2020, 10:09 AM   #34
RCC Addict

Man that looks like an awesome spot to crawl!

Old 10-26-2020, 12:16 PM   #35
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fricker08 View Post
Man that looks like an awesome spot to crawl!

It really is, there is a LOT of area to crawl down there. We have only hit a small bit of it.
Old 10-27-2020, 09:43 AM   #36
Go Buckeyes!

Nice pics!

Looks like a great place to have some fun!
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 02:58 PM   #37
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-MOW71 View Post
Nice pics!

Looks like a great place to have some fun!
Thanks, we had a blast!
Old 10-28-2020, 03:12 PM   #38
Pebble Pounder

I spent some time today looking over the rig, checking links, etc. the usual maintenance. I noticed a small bind in the rear upper links where they mount to the ar44. I did a bit of light work with some small files and seem to have it corrected now. It wasn't a significant bind, but a bind nonetheless.

I got more capra axle parts in today, and should have the rest by early next week. The Team Garage Hack panhard mounts came in, as well as a new bearing kit for the axles. Once it's all here, I'll get them built, shimmed and ready to mount. Links from Hardcore RC are on the way as well. I got titanium this time, vs the stainless links I'm currently using from Intheworks.

I'm pretty excited to make the switch and see how the rig performs with the capra axles. I still need to find and order some 0 offset wheels to get track width back under control. I will probably drive it with my current wheels for a bit, depending on what I find and when I get it ordered.

On a total side note, I may be buying a Bully 2 kit and building that up sometime this winter. I'm very interested in that type of crawler, but still weighing the cost in my mind.

Cheers,
Gable
Old 10-28-2020, 08:25 PM   #39

Very nice work Gable - looking forward to hearing more on this after you finish your additional axle mods. I'm also with you on the Bully2 idea - would love the Dlux kit, but that would be hard for me to justify the additional $$.
m59y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 08:45 AM   #40
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by m59y View Post
Very nice work Gable - looking forward to hearing more on this after you finish your additional axle mods. I'm also with you on the Bully2 idea - would love the Dlux kit, but that would be hard for me to justify the additional $$.
Erik makes such awesome gear, I would love to own one of his kits. Maybe one of these days....

I just checked tracking numbers, and I think I'll have everything here by early next week. I plan on going through the transmission and transfer case to try and shim them to remove the last little bit of slop. While I'm tearing the rig down of axles and links, I might as well.

Cheers,
Gable

G-Speed V3 build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Xtra speed Jeep build wrx-n-ktm 1.9 Scale Rigs 1 12-10-2018 07:41 PM
2 speed wraith build imcochrane Axial Wraith 5 02-05-2016 08:10 AM
2 Speed Build Scaler Build Wisco 1.9 Scale Rigs 13 09-17-2014 01:43 PM
3 speed Scale build. lonleycreeper HPI Wheely King 70 12-26-2012 09:13 PM
Want to build a speed demon... have a few questions mcho78 Non Crawler RC's 11 03-31-2012 09:57 PM