Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 2.2 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: "The Scale Beetle" Class 3 TTC Rig

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2012, 07:42 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default "The Scale Beetle" Class 3 TTC Rig

I have decided that the comp crawler is not for me. I like my rigs to function well and still are a little more scale. So I started trying to come up with some ideas. First I Saw this Crawlmaro truck on google, but the Idea had been taken and executed very well here on RCC.

Then I typed in Rock Crawler and found this random gem. I like that it is something so many people on here have built, but it is a twist that I have rarely seen. Not to mention this is the first picture of a Capable looking Beetle Crawler I have ever seen. I like the fact that it is a little rough looking and clean at the same time. I know there will be some haters that say the bug has been done over and over, but this is a copy of a 1:1 build and thus should be considered scale.
Attached Images

avanord is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-01-2012, 07:59 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: "The Scale Beetle" Class 3 TTC Rig

So after making the decision to create the Scale Beetle I went to the basement and grabbed the old bug body I had laying around and placed it on project basket case for a test fit.

The first fitting looked very comp crawler and not like the 1:1 I am trying to match.

So I shortened the rear links and placed the body back on top of basket case and presto the fit is almost perfect. (I realize that Basket Case Used TVP's and is not considered scale, these will be replaced by a brazed internal roll cage with interior in the future.)

I will soon be buying a brazing torch and all the materials necessary to build myself a tube chassis. But, for now it is a body on top of the already created chassis.

I think it looks pretty good for the minimal amount of work that I had to do.

This is going to be a slow build especially since I dont even have the equipment I need to build yet. But at least I have an idea not. You have to start somewhere.
Attached Images

Old 08-01-2012, 08:14 PM   #3

I like the direction you are taking with this project. Mind if I use your picture reference for a 1/6 scale build I'm putting together using a FG Monster Beetle Body?
RamperMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 08:26 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamperMT View Post
I like the direction you are taking with this project. Mind if I use your picture reference for a 1/6 scale build I'm putting together using a FG Monster Beetle Body?
Feel free. I know that the bug body is nothing new here on Rcc. I have seen a ton of them. Mostly comp crawlers. I think the details and interior additions that I am hoping to add will take this rig to the next level and make it scale worthy. I have a long road ahead of me.

Good luck with your build Ramper.

Adam
Old 08-01-2012, 08:45 PM   #5

Thanks Adam.

I'm subscribing to this thread to watch your progress and I think those interior details will really set it off!

Just take your time and have fun!
Old 08-01-2012, 08:58 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Very sweet! It is starting to look like the 1:1 bug already, just by you shortening up the rear. I bet it will be sweet when you're done. Good luck with getting the frame scale legal, hope that goes well for you. Did you know the scale rules are in the forum on here? I can give you the link if you need it. Very cool man, I'm excited to see it as it progresses!
Josh_Br is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 01:41 AM   #7
RCC Addict

Yeah somewhere there are pix of a black one rolling on 45s with Exo cage looks sort of like my bug build.
I like the bugs better then jeeps

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
Tin Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 03:00 AM   #8
ahhh S^*T

Im a sucker for bug builds!!

I think it needs a tamiya body shell kit tho, instead of lexan. YEP

keep it going!! looks good so far!
AxialJeepster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 05:09 AM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxialJeepster View Post

Have you seen mine? ;)

Old 08-02-2012, 05:40 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh_Br View Post
Very sweet! It is starting to look like the 1:1 bug already, just by you shortening up the rear. I bet it will be sweet when you're done. Good luck with getting the frame scale legal, hope that goes well for you. Did you know the scale rules are in the forum on here? I can give you the link if you need it. Very cool man, I'm excited to see it as it progresses!
Josh I have seen the rules and actually printed out a copy so that I would be able to follow them. I will be building an entirely new chassis. There will be no conversion just new. It will be made out of tube and be brazed together. This should definitely fit in the rules. The only question is when I will be getting this done. So for now I will be retrofitting the bug body to the chassis I already have. Not legal, but still drivable.

[QUOTE=Tin Soldier;3850962]Yeah somewhere there are pix of a black one rolling on 45s with Exo cage looks sort of like my bug build.
I like the bugs better then jeeps

I have seen this one. It comes up when you search for Beetle Crawler on google images. Yours kinda looks alot like it actually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxialJeepster View Post

A body shell kit would be nice. However I am working on a VERY limited budget. I know tools and materials will be expensive, but those are the only expenses I am expecting to have. (For the Most Part) Everything else will be hand made. Not only is it cheaper, but I enjoy creating things from scratch alot more than typing in my debit card number.
Old 08-02-2012, 06:16 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Put my other 2.2s on and took some more pics with the bug body. I think that they definitely achieve the look I am going for. Hopefully I wll be able to buy the torch, tube, and sheet metal after the weekend and really get started on this build. I am beginning to get pretty motivated.

Let me know what ya think aobut the wheel and tire combo.
Attached Images

Old 08-02-2012, 06:23 PM   #12

I like the tire/wheel combo. I think the front should come up a little but could just be the angle.
Old 08-02-2012, 06:32 PM   #13
RCC Addict

Better cut them doors out! :-)
Old 08-02-2012, 06:37 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

I agree. It was hard to get it to sit the way I wanted it too because I was just putting crap under the body to prop it up. When I actually go to mount the body it will sit alot more like the 1:1 version. My goal is to make it look as close to the real thing as I can. I will be cutting out the doors, and painting the body in the future as well.

I am gonna take off the paint with brake fluid. Then paint a couple coats of silver as a base coat, a coat of rust type brown, and a top layer of orange similar to that of the 1:1 version.

That way when it scratches it will show up like a real srcatch with rust around the edges.

Not to mention all of the other scale interior goodies that I will be making.
Old 08-02-2012, 06:41 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

This looks like it will be good I will be watching this one
Hittman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 06:52 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hittman View Post
This looks like it will be good I will be watching this one

Thanks man. Hope I dont disappoint with the tube work. This will be my first brazing attempt. May have to try a bumper or 2 for my other rig before I get too deep into this project.
Old 08-02-2012, 07:01 PM   #17
RCC Addict

If you need some help with tube call me. A bolt with two washers pinching the tube will keep it from kinking when you bend it.
Old 08-02-2012, 07:06 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

I read about that on here. I saw a thread a while back that I will have to look up. It tells how to make a tube bender with a floor drain a few bolts, nuts, and washers. Total cost was around $20 i believe. All stuff that one can find at the local hardware store.
Old 08-02-2012, 07:10 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

Here is the link. BTW I lied about the price. The thread says $10.

A tube bender on the cheap
Old 08-02-2012, 07:28 PM   #20
RCC Addict

Yep. I use some volts I had laying around, the bench vise that came with my garage and some cunning planning. I also free hand a lot of bends.

"The Scale Beetle" Class 3 TTC Rig - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
"Victim" or "V2" a "Country Boy Customs" class 3 Mighty1 2.2 Scale Rigs 10 05-06-2011 10:56 PM
"Bad Betty" TTC Rig by 70duncan and R2j 70duncan 2.2 Scale Rigs 29 05-05-2011 11:33 PM
"Country Boy Customs" Class 3 -TTC! Mighty1 2.2 Scale Rigs 17 04-16-2011 06:33 PM
My Class 3 rig, "Orange Crush Bronco" Oso787 2.2 Scale Rigs 141 04-14-2011 06:24 PM