Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 2.2 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: The Interceptor: A U4 super car

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2015, 10:53 AM   #61
RCC Addict

Default Re: The Interceptor: A U4 super car

Holy crap! 1:1 innovation and commitment in the little truck world...

I hope this moves people from the idea that they have to accept and work with what "the big guys" are producing. I use Fusion myself, and haven't gotten into tube work yet. But I'm wandering, does your tube work start as flat sketches that you then extrude into tubes, or are you extruding tubes and cutting/joining/aligning them as needed? If you have time, a short tutorial would be MUCH appreciated! Not finding a lot of tube specific tutorials for Fusion.
89redranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-22-2015, 12:27 PM   #62
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89redranger View Post
Holy crap! 1:1 innovation and commitment in the little truck world...

I hope this moves people from the idea that they have to accept and work with what "the big guys" are producing. I use Fusion myself, and haven't gotten into tube work yet. But I'm wandering, does your tube work start as flat sketches that you then extrude into tubes, or are you extruding tubes and cutting/joining/aligning them as needed? If you have time, a short tutorial would be MUCH appreciated! Not finding a lot of tube specific tutorials for Fusion.
Flat sketches then use the sweep function to draw a tube following the profile. if it's just a straight bar I create a cylinder to the proper dimensions.

I am not going model the entire car, just enough to get the link and shock mounts located then I will wing the rest as I build the car.
Almighty Malach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 02:15 PM   #63
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almighty Malach View Post
I am not going model the entire car, just enough to get the link and shock mounts located then I will wing the rest as I build the car.
COME ON! Do it! It's so much easier to play with the lines in CAD to make sure it looks good. Are you going to extract tube bending templates from your model?
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 11:01 AM   #64
20K Club

Whats your setup for Ti welding Casey? This has had me intrigued and researching different setups.
Old 12-26-2015, 11:39 AM   #65
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley View Post
Whats your setup for Ti welding Casey? This has had me intrigued and researching different setups.
45-50 amps, 25-26 cfm argon, 3/32" tungsten with a number 6 cup all with the thermal arc 95s. I bought an 1/8 lb of 0.031" titanium wire for filler rod, but the only time I use it is joining two pieces of 3/16" rod. Everything else is just fused.
Old 12-26-2015, 01:28 PM   #66
20K Club

Quote:
45-50 amps, 25-26 cfm argon, 3/32" tungsten with a number 6 cup all with the thermal arc 95s. I bought an 1/8 lb of 0.031" titanium wire for filler rod, but the only time I use it is joining two pieces of 3/16" rod. Everything else is just fused.
Are you doing any purging or putting any backing up to hold the gas in? The idea of building with Ti is very appealing and something I just never really thought too much about until you brought it up. I was also looking at some of the wide cups for more tungsten stick out.
Old 12-26-2015, 02:32 PM   #67
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley View Post
Are you doing any purging or putting any backing up to hold the gas in? The idea of building with Ti is very appealing and something I just never really thought too much about until you brought it up. I was also looking at some of the wide cups for more tungsten stick out.
Not really. I do break the arc then point the torch back at the weld to let it cool down without oxidizing. It seems to do the trick well enough, and if there's anything after that I hit it with a ss wire wheel.

Titanium is extremely fun to work with. It is hard on cut off wheels though, so I would recommend a band saw of some kind to cut it. I picked up a 12v Milwaukee band saw and it works great on ti.
Old 12-26-2015, 02:37 PM   #68
RCC Addict

Quote:
That's a lie. its 2 old car batteries we stole from the back of a Walmart, some copper wire from a street light and 2 60p nails
The Crawl Space is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 11:04 AM   #69
RCC Addict

New sway bar idea. Bearing mounted arms to keep the bars from bending at the ends and binding the whole deal up; and removable arms for tuning.
Old 01-01-2016, 11:26 AM   #70
I wanna be Dave

Sweet!
rob_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 11:30 AM   #71
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob_b View Post
Sweet!
I'm the most excited that they finally added carbon fiber to the material selection.
Old 01-01-2016, 11:50 AM   #72
I wanna be Dave

That's pretty cool but you need to re-engineer the holes that mount the AL piece to the CF arm. You been drinkin?
Szczerba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 12:07 PM   #73
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Szczerba View Post
That's pretty cool but you need to re-engineer the holes that mount the AL piece to the CF arm. You been drinkin?
not for 12 hours or so. I'm not seeing what you are talking about, there is plenty of clearance for screws to hold everything together and not hit. The mounting holes on the bearing pocket are countersunk and will clear a 6mm flat head screw.

Old 01-01-2016, 06:27 PM   #74
RCC Addict

Moar! I think I can get the last few parts drawn up tonight so that maybe I can get them cut out and in my hands by the time I get home from King of the Hammers.
Old 01-03-2016, 10:41 PM   #75
Rock Crawler

Awesome. Will you be at the g6 event?
Shoei1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 10:21 AM   #76
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoei1 View Post
Awesome. Will you be at the g6 event?
I'm not sure. Last year those guys weren't very friendly towards 2.2's so I doubt I'll enter but I'm all about the race track If its there.
Old 01-04-2016, 10:59 AM   #77
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I'm not sure. Last year those guys weren't very friendly towards 2.2's so I doubt I'll enter but I'm all about the race track If its there.
Yeah, 2.2's are stupid and we don't want them around our other smaller tire'd toy trucks that take more skill to drive. As a matter of fact, 2.2's aren't scale either.

Anywho, Started cutting and welding yet?
Szczerba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 05:34 PM   #78
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Szczerba View Post
Yeah, 2.2's are stupid and we don't want them around our other smaller tire'd toy trucks that take more skill to drive. As a matter of fact, 2.2's aren't scale either.

Anywho, Started cutting and welding yet?

Not yet. I need to have Top Shelf rebuilt in time to ship it back to Eddie and I need to add panels to the temporary Ti car for KOH. I am going to take over the Y-Town router for a few days before KOH to cut all of these parts out.
Old 01-04-2016, 09:00 PM   #79
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Im down for TEAM 2.2 those 1.9 scaler guys are just jealous
Shoei1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 09:24 PM   #80
RCC Addict

Figured out the rear shock mount panel. I foresee myself adding more to this part later when I decide how to make the rear tubing flow.

Tags
because race car, better than steel, highaltitudeperformancerc, superstitionmachineworks, y town crawlers

The Interceptor: A U4 super car - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mattzilla Max Interceptor U4 HillbillyCrawler 2.2 Scale Rigs 13 11-18-2015 08:19 PM