Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 2.2 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Project Light Wallet

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2010, 07:08 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Project Light Wallet

I am starting my first scaler build. I sold my last Clod a few months back and have the urge to build a scaler. I am going try as hard as possible to replicate Chris Smith's Super Crawler F350 from the 2009 TTC. I am splicing the bodies together now for the extended cab, as well as hacking up the front clips to try and get it right. I am ordering my axles (2 Steering Blackwells) tomorrow and have bought some used wheels for mock up. Below is a pick from the TTC. Should be pretty sweet. I will post pictures later this week of the progress on the body.

-Andrew Miller
Attached Images

millrtme is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-13-2010, 07:21 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

thats gonna be sweet! subscribed
thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 08:04 PM   #3

I'll be watch'n
auffquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 12:53 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Updates?
country_crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 04:14 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Haha, I just posted that yesterday. I have some pics but cant upload them until tomorrow. I did order my axles, which is one of the best parts so when they arrive there will be plenty of photos.

-Andrew Miller
Old 04-15-2010, 04:41 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Here are a couple picks of the spliced cab, the lengthed and effectively narrowed hood and the fenders that will be cut up to match the lengthed hood. Still a fair amount of filler work (esp the hood) and sanding to do, but it is slowly moving forward.

-Andrew Miller
Attached Images

Old 04-21-2010, 11:21 AM   #7

Any updates?
Mongopotamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 05:10 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Axles arrive tomorrow. I'll post pics of them along with the progress on the bodywork.
Old 04-22-2010, 04:38 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Here are the pics up to this point. The new parts include axial rockster wheels with Panther tires and twin RC4WD Blackwell steering axles. As far as the body work goes. I have cut the new arches in the rear fenders. I may shorten the rear fenders slightly, but they are stock length for now. I have not touched the front clip of the extended cab body, but have been working on the lengthened and narrowed hood as well as hacking up some old rear fenders to make them into lengthened front fenders. I also have a grill that hasn't been touched and won't be until the hood and fenders are finalized. I haven't decided how long to make the front fenders, hence the gap in the two pieces. Everything is going smoothly, but slowly, a job in the real world will tend to make that happen. Once I get the body complete I will post pics, but the near future will probably just be collecting more parts. I am going to wait until the chassis is done to get my links and figure out what I want to do about a tranny and TC. Right now Im thinking R2HD and Killer TC, but that may change. Enjoy the pics and I look forward to the comments.

BTW, don't mind the random food boxes, needed something to prop up the panels.

-Andrew Miller
Attached Images

Old 04-22-2010, 05:12 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

not much on the ford part, but im diggin the blackwells! ill be watching
2500hdon37s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 10:22 AM   #11
Pebble Pounder

I got the front clip assembled this weekend and cut the original one off of the cab. I braced the cab to keep its shape as well as giving it a coat of primer. Still a fair amount of body work to do, but it is inching along. Some massaging will be required to get the front clip and the cab to transition nicely, but it isn't too bad as it sits. Still haven't decided if I am going to shorten the bedsides. I would only be removing about a 1/2" from the front end. Let me know your thoughts.

-Andrew Miller
Attached Images

Old 04-25-2010, 01:13 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Wow that thing is crazy nice work.
dubAron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 04:46 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Hey great start.
Take a look at mine, I didn't shorten the bedsides, but did dove the bed & nose.
Lots of pics, but at least you'll get an idea of the bed not shortened.
Tipping the back in gives the illusion of it shortened.

Linky link.

F-350 Dove Nosed, Tailed Tubed Build-up
tyerfryersc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 06:58 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Thanks for all the comments.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyerfryersc View Post
Hey great start.
Take a look at mine, I didn't shorten the bedsides, but did dove the bed & nose.
Lots of pics, but at least you'll get an idea of the bed not shortened.
Tipping the back in gives the illusion of it shortened.
That's a pretty sweet rig you built there. The only thing I am left wishing for was a way to "reform" the fender body lines that were cut away. I tested some extra fenders I had with a heat gun and it didn't turn out as I would like. Unfortunately, I am having my chassis built as I just don't have the time. I hope to have the final chassis sometime in June.

-Andrew Miller
Old 04-25-2010, 07:05 PM   #15
0 0

so by light wallet you mean you'll be light at the end of the build?

keep up the good work. look forward to seeing the rest
romulus22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 07:43 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

The body looks great, but I have one question. Why did you lengthen the hood? On the Super Crawler it looks if anything, Shortened.
Not knocking your build, just asking.
Old 04-25-2010, 08:06 PM   #17
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyerfryersc View Post
The body looks great, but I have one question. Why did you lengthen the hood? On the Super Crawler it looks if anything, Shortened.
I felt the same way but couldn't decide, so I talked with the owner and he outlined all of the body mods, hes has been very helpful in attacking this whole thing. According to him, the front fenders were lengthened by 4". My guess was that the monstrous wheel opening on the 1:1 throw off the perception of exactly how the fender was modified. Additionally, the 1:1 has a narrowed grill, lengthening the hood made it easier to have a narrowed grill.

Also according to him the rear fenders were shortened by 6", but I sort of like it full length. I will have to see what the WB turns out to be when I get all of the sections lined up.
Old 04-25-2010, 08:17 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

I know what you are saying about the fender gaps, once you cut the fenders off. My first cab, I cut off the fenders. Couldn't fit the gaps, so I built the cab that's on my truck, I pie cut the hood, and heated/bent the fenders to meet the hood.
I didn't realize the grill is narrowed on the 1:1. I looked at pics of that truck lots of times wnen I was building mine. I love that thing.
Another thing to add, With your truck being an extended cab, if you don't cut the bed, is the truck going to get a pretty long Wheel base?
Mine is at 12-3/4" with no x-tended cab.
Just a thought to throw at ya.

Last edited by tyerfryersc; 04-25-2010 at 08:17 PM. Reason: missed first sentence.
Old 04-26-2010, 05:19 AM   #19
Pebble Pounder

Replying from my phone so I'll keep it short. The 1:1 has a wb of 170". I am waiting for my cab to be completed to determine my exact wb.
-Andrew Miller
Old 05-09-2010, 07:13 AM   #20
Pebble Pounder

Well its been a little while, the end of the semester has got me worried about other stuff. I was able to get the front clip attached to the cab and I got it all set up next to the wheels and tires. For reference the tires are Chisels. I think I will be opening up the front wheel arch a bit more and probably raising the ride height a bit. I have a lot of bodywork left but it is moving along slowly. BTW, sorry for the cell phone pictures, I was pretty bored and my camera was at work. Let me know what you think.

-Andrew Miller
Attached Images