Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Comp tuber

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2009, 08:26 PM   #101
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raguvian View Post
Wow, the multicolored truck looks the best!

I love the panels, great job.
WOW! This is so cool Bro......every version seems like a new truck .I have a new COMP LEGAL Chassis in the works.Pix soon.Will most likely use your panel idea.
JUGGARNAUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-15-2009, 12:43 AM   #102
Rock Crawler

4 words! YOUR A BAD ASS! lol you should try the house of color bullet proof clear coat! i it will slightly save your panels so you dont beat them up so quick!
kronik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 01:39 AM   #103
Pebble Pounder

Simple and amazing job here...
May i know what is the total weight of the chassis only and weight of the whole rig?
TQ
dr_rookie7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 10:12 PM   #104
RCC Addict

Thanks for the comments guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_rookie7 View Post
Simple and amazing job here...
May i know what is the total weight of the chassis only and weight of the whole rig?
TQ
Sorry it's taken me so long to reply, I haven't had any updates until now and haven't checked the thread in a while.

Well the total weight on the truck was 7lb 5.3oz. The chassis alone with the boat sides was 1lb 9.7oz but I have now redesigned the chassis and is the reason i'm updating this thread.

I needed to make my old truck more competitive. I can't afford MOA's so I'm stuck with this for now and since i refuse to be normal I'm sticking with the aluminum body but with a couple refinements.

First off i wanted to lighten the chassis a considerable amount. I couldn't find the aluminum i wanted in time so i went with steel tubing but with only minimal amounts.

I started by using an old AX10 skid plate and making new boat sides that were almost 1/2" narrower than the old ones. They also are now incoporated into the lower links

These new sides also narrowed up the whole body by 1 1/2".

Next i started on the main hoop. this time though, I attached the hoop directly to the boat sides with a plate. i also added the hoop for the rear 1/4's taking about an inch of the back

Then i test fit the old panels

Next i added a lower tube that connected the rear hoop to the skid plate. this also became the mounting points for the upper links and shocks. I also decided to go to a 4 link in the rear while i was at it.

then i made up the rest of the cab taking another 1/2" out of the top.

and finally I completed the front pretty much the same as the rear

and here it is as a rolling chassis with some new shoes

Then i blew it apart and did all the final welding including adding the tabs for the body panels.

you can see how bare minimum the chassis is now and how it ties everything together with out any extra material.

Now here is a comparison to the old chassis

and this shows the weight difference between the old and new chassis.

I shaved off almost 12 ounces!

Now here it fully assembled and running. I threw on the old panels for teasing purposes. I'll have new ones made shortly.

And all the electronics fit snug inside

I really like the stance now and some preliminary testing shows it to be more stable.

Now all i have to do is tear it apart again, tweak the suspension a bit, paint, re-assemble and i'll be ready for Motorama!
Metal Masher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 12:51 AM   #105
Pebble Pounder

WOW!! I am truely amazed by your work, definetly thinking outside the box with all the aluminum body parts you sculpted!! Nice job!!
RCRockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 12:13 PM   #106
RCC Addict

The true body damage aspect of this thing is awesome!

I like your second version of a chassis better... looks real low slung, and should compete just a hair better

Oh, and thank god for the new shoes eh? That was one thing that really stood out at first: the crappy tires...
grob23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 12:38 PM   #107
Rock Crawler

this is prob truely one of the best forum post on any forum out there that ive seen great job man that rig is the most badass comp/ scaler ive seen everything is true to style all my buddy have yotas and ive seen the work and seen your work and all the tube and panels and stinger and dovetail bob job everythng is true to size great build
liverkiller1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 02:12 PM   #108

That was so awsome,you did a great job and love the pics,your very talented you should build and sell those tube chassis's (newer version) I know I'd buy one as I'm sure many guys here would also PS if you do sell them PM me thanks Bob
Bobsclassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 07:33 PM   #109
Pebble Pounder

Thank man. looking more great on your new chassis. So now i assume the weight now more less than before right? Let us know how it perform later with video might be awesome.
dr_rookie7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 10:58 PM   #110
Quarry Creeper

nice let us know how it performs
cascade crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 01:49 AM   #111
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Comp tuber

I keep coming back to your posts, I read them, analyze the pics, and then read some more. I'm getting ready to buy an SCX10 and spend some time having fun with it. I hope to build a simple rendition of what you've done here. And I hope it will measure up to the inspiration. Really good work man...just amazing
jaydubya2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 09:33 PM   #112
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydubya2003 View Post
I keep coming back to your posts, I read them, analyze the pics, and then read some more. I'm getting ready to buy an SCX10 and spend some time having fun with it. I hope to build a simple rendition of what you've done here. And I hope it will measure up to the inspiration. Really good work man...just amazing
WOW! amazing how time flies! I didn't realize I never posted the finished pics of this! Better late then never huh?

Here is how it looked when i first finished it

Since then i ran it for 2 seasons in our local sportsman class and used it as an extra basher for my daughter and nephews and it just keeps on trucking.

The only change i made was the addition of an SCX10 skid in place of the AX10 skid and i swapped in a cheap PCM radio and an FXR ESC. Right now i have it torn apart just to clean it and repaint with new panels but there may be plans for a conversion to class 3 TTC scale truck

Thanks for keeping an eye on this. I surly haven't
Old 04-16-2012, 02:01 AM   #113
TSK
Shelf queen

That looks sick yo!
TSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 10:08 PM   #114
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSCorpionKing View Post
That looks sick yo!
Thanks man.

I guess i'll go a bit more into detail with the updates.

Right after i first completed the truck i competed in the 2010 Motorama. It did pretty good for a shafty and a tuber to boot.

Then over the last 2 years i made some modifications. Along with the electronic change and skid plate swap i also extended the wheelbase to actually meet spec with some bent links i had lying around. Then i threw on some 2.2 swampers.

After 2 years of beating it was pretty looking ragged so now i have it torn down for a repaint but i'm thinking about converting it over to a class 3 scale truck. We'll see
Old 04-17-2012, 10:38 PM   #115
I wanna be Dave

Wow man this thing is sick. The rugged, torn up look looks pretty cool. I can't wait to see how the rebuild goes
Hittman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 10:59 PM   #116
Quarry Creeper

Id say go with a little thicker aluminum for the panels and leave the rest of the battle scars. Who wants a pretty showroom truck anyways. Awesome build and great ideas. Was this brazed or actual wire welding?
xjcritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 04:53 PM   #117
Quarry Creeper

You just inspired me to start on mine again. Whats up with true scale?
cooterwrenchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 04:08 PM   #118
Quarry Creeper

very cool. I'm keeping this thread in mind for any ideas.
Mr.JayDeeM is offline   Reply With Quote