Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Output shaft fix

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2009, 02:08 AM   #21
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUGNUT View Post
FYI, Drill #9 = 5MM

I just checked out this thread to see its almost a year old. It seems that the design engineers at Axial are sleeping. I have 2 AX10 kits. One is assembled the other still in the box. I ran the assembled one for a total of 11 minutes at a comp a couple weeks back. I completed 2 of the 5 minute courses then broke the output shaft after only 1 minute in the third course. A brand new AX10 fails after only 11 minutes means defect! I can see no reason for the 5mm hole inside the output shaft. The difference between the outside diameter and inside diameter is only 1mm divided by 2 gives you a wall thickness of .5mm or.0197" Then they mill a flat for the setscrew further reducing the wall. On my output shaft the flat was milled into the 5mm hole there by eliminating any structural integrity of the part.
I agree it is a weak link, but I got a solid 3.5 months + before mine finally broke, and that was with a Integy driveshaft.

I just wish A VENDOR (hint, hint) would step up and make some 6mm outputs like the CDW ones you cant get anymore!!!
Then you could slap on revo or maxx shafts no prob!!!
R/CMaxximus5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-09-2009, 02:10 AM   #22
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by R/CMaxximus5.0 View Post
I agree it is a weak link, but I got a solid 3.5 months + before mine finally broke, and that was with a Integy driveshaft.

I just wish A VENDOR (hint, hint) would step up and make some 6mm outputs like the CDW ones you cant get anymore!!!
Then you could slap on revo or maxx shafts no prob!!!
does anyone know of any? I know the mod can be done to run Maxx shafts but i would just like more of a "bolt in" deal.
R/CMaxximus5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 11:06 PM   #23
RCC Addict

well this is what happens when you get it to stop falling off, it snaps the output. but the bolt through it is gonna stop the falling off and breaking for cheap. or stainless steel outputs and mip's, but that isn't real cheap. works good but i'm gonna do this with my broken shafts for an extra tranny
indiana mudcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 11:43 AM   #24
Rock Stacker

The output fix is awesome. We broke the stockers on my buddies Scorpion and I just made some new ones out of steel in our machine shop at school (kinda messed up the dimensions a bit so there is a bit of plastic/plastic rubbing inside the case but it still works), but that would have been much easier
xj_man_646 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 07:02 PM   #25
RCC Addict

just wanted to add that i used this fix with a few changes, i went through both sides with one piece of 3/16 steel rod and drilled both sides as was shown, with it all together and the drive shaft ends tight to hold it. I ground flat spots for the set screws and works great.. just did this today so I will go out tomorrow and see how strong the fix is. Sorry i didnt think about pics until i got it all done.
buggynutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 07:10 AM   #26
Rock Crawler

I have been running my ax-10 with a novak goat system for 4 months and probably have 20+ hours into it. Still rocking the stock outputs. i use the slipper clutch to avoid these breakages, are you guys running slippers?
DioptricStraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 02:39 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by DioptricStraw View Post
I have been running my ax-10 with a novak goat system for 4 months and probably have 20+ hours into it. Still rocking the stock outputs. i use the slipper clutch to avoid these breakages, are you guys running slippers?

Slipper? What's a slipper? Lol
Ok on a serious note, I ended up breaking my output tonight as I was threading the hole I had just drilled through it soo instead of going to my buddies house that runs an online hobby shop out of his garage and Geri g a new set I figured I'd do this instead! Well hey it worked but I ended up using a sc10 stub axle as they are 3/16th and already have a hole in them! So I cut the axle down to size drilled out the hole bigger and drilled out only one side of the output so it would be perfect, I slid the shaft into place with some force and drilled through the other side of the output thE same direction that I started which means I had a perfect strait and true hole! So before all this drilling I had remembered that I had extra pins in my blitz box! Well they are the pins for the slipper assembly hub on a blitz transmission, they were the perfect length but too big to fit the hole in the sc10 axle so that is why I drilled it out bigger. I decided against drilling the hole for the yoke and just made a flat spot on both sides of my new output! Put it all back together walked next door to the rock piles in my neibers front yard and crawled for a pack! I was impressed how simple this is to do and will most likely make another one for the back side of the transmission!

When I broke the output I had remembered seeing this thread a while back and went back and reread it to get my numbers correct without doing any work! Between all my different rc cars and my knowlage from working in a machine shop manufacturing paintball guns I knew I wouldn't be hard or take very long almost something I could do out of the back of my truck at a comp lol

Thank you for making this thread hitman!!

Wow this was kinda a long first post
TheRealBeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 09:43 AM   #28
Quarry Creeper

coooooooooooooooooool mine brock the other day and i was serching for what kind to buy but this is perfect THANKS ALOT.
86zuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 11:17 AM   #29
Quarry Creeper

thanks for the wright up i did something like this after seeing yours i drilled a hole through my output it was striped so the u joint was free spining then i got a traxxas set screw it is a set screw with a pin sticking out past the threads so it goes all the way though the u joint and the output i hope it works hears a link the pic go backwords so press prev.

http://s1216.photobucket.com/albums/...ressss2001.jpg
86zuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 11:40 AM   #30
Rock Crawler

well now theres a 1 piece hardened deal made by robinson its like 27 bucks and will never break
murderface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 11:44 AM   #31
Rock Crawler

And Axial now has steel outputs that will prob never break.
92LILREDYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 12:51 PM   #32
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92LILREDYJ View Post
And Axial now has steel outputs that will prob never break.
What happened to these, they have been on backorder for a couple months and now they are not listed on Axial's site? I ordered them through LHS and they still have not arrived. Anybody?

Last edited by Natedog; 03-29-2011 at 04:44 PM.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 07:04 AM   #33
RCC Addict

Funny this thread keeps coming back.
hitman46mod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 04:44 PM   #34
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman46mod View Post
Funny this thread keeps coming back.
Yes, it's a good one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
What happened to these, they have been on backorder for a couple months and now they are not listed on Axial's site? I ordered them through LHS and they still have not arrived. Anybody?

Makes me wonder if a new and/or improved tranny and maybe outdrives are coming with the introduction of Axial's new Wraith?
Old 03-29-2011, 11:44 PM   #35
Pebble Pounder

I just installed the Robinson Racign 1 piece unit in mine after the stock rear out put stub shaft gave up. I seriously doubt the one piece steel unit will break.

02tac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 11:47 PM   #36
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02tac View Post
I just installed the Robinson Racign 1 piece unit in mine after the stock rear out put stub shaft gave up. I seriously doubt the one piece steel unit will break.

Yeah, it just weighs a million pounds though...they should have machined six lightening holes through that boat anchor...I won't buy one because it's so frikkin heavy.
Old 03-30-2011, 06:13 AM   #37
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
Yeah, it just weighs a million pounds though...they should have machined six lightening holes through that boat anchor...I won't buy one because it's so frikkin heavy.
Yes, it does have some weight to it, but it the weight is at the lowest point you can have it on the chassis. I have not noticed any difference in performance due to weight.
02tac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 07:59 AM   #38
Rock Crawler

Natedog your right they are out everywhere! I got mine a couple of weeks after they were released and never looked back.

This is an old thread. lol... I guess the out of stock brought it back.
92LILREDYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 08:40 AM   #39
No idea what I'm doing

Quote:
While you had it open, you should have replaced that middle idler gear as well...he's the next one to break. I have Robinson middle gears that I have to install soon since I blew out two of the stockers. If I can only find the time

Last edited by C*H*U*D; 03-30-2011 at 08:43 AM.
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 10:41 AM   #40
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Yes, it does have some weight to it, but it the weight is at the lowest point you can have it on the chassis. I have not noticed any difference in performance due to weight.
Yes, but it's still weight on the chassis (not good) and it's rotating mass that can adversly affect the acceleration needed to hop from one rock to the next. It would be soooo easy for Robinson Racing to drill 6 nice sized holes through that baby before they harden the metal....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92LILREDYJ View Post
Natedog your right they are out everywhere! I got mine a couple of weeks after they were released and never looked back.

This is an old thread. lol... I guess the out of stock brought it back.
Lucky you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C*H*U*D View Post
While you had it open, you should have replaced that middle idler gear as well...he's the next one to break. I have Robinson middle gears that I have to install soon since I blew out two of the stockers. If I can only find the time
Yup....x2.

Last edited by Natedog; 03-30-2011 at 10:43 AM.