Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Disgusted.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2009, 09:05 PM   #41
I joined the Band!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 350jeepcj5 View Post
I am so disgusted with my axial, i try to follow everyones good ideas on here and it never work right, i went out yesterday and it doesnt seem like its got the flex that everyone else on here has, maybe its just me, im gonna post up some pics of my setup and can some of you guys maybe tell me what im goin wrong, or how to make it better, more flex and more traction?

Specs:
Axial ARTR
Rear Foams Cut with hammers and weight
Front Memfoam
The rest you can see.

I hate to sound whiny but there is some money invested in this and id like it to work, you know?
Not be a jerk but your post seems to be part of the problem. If you can not be bothered to list all of your upgrades then how can anyone help you?
grimgard is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-13-2009, 12:11 AM   #42
Pebble Pounder

the rear upper links limit you up travel so you need to ether go under the mount or but one that makes the ball cup verticle..... it wont articulate up that well the way you have them set now
BEAU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 02:43 PM   #43

i would go with super soft red springs and if you dont already have them wheel whieght
crazynewb95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 03:01 PM   #44
Pebble Pounder

I'm not sure if it is the angle of the camera, but the shot of the rear link/axle mount looks like the holes are not evenly drilled which will cause binding in all suspension movement. Going back to a previously mentioned 3 link setup will definitely take that out of the equation. I dont know if i missed it in an earlier post, but make sure your shocks are not too full of fluid. There are no bladders in the shock caps to make up for the displacement of fluid from the shocks shafts under shock compression. Good luck.
TS7867 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 09:30 PM   #45
Pebble Pounder

The closer the bottom of your shocks are mounted to the wheel the stiffer your truck will feel when it articulates. If you mount the shocks more inward (closer to the center driveshaft) it will be similiar to going to softer springs and less pack/thinner oil in the shocks.
Jesse Robbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 09:36 PM   #46
Rock Crawler

quit bashing him about his rear suspencion. his uppers really long do not affect performance at all. Mines completely opposite of EVERYONE elses pinion angle. if you look at my rig from the side, you dont see a pinion. or a driveshaft in the rear.
eron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 05:19 PM   #47
Rock Stacker

ok, so heres where we are, i shortened the rear links, fixed the antenna, loosened zip ties and this is what i get.
350jeepcj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 05:24 PM   #48
I wanna be Dave

Can you compress the suspension and feel / check for any binding? also you might want to switch to softer springs if you haven't added some weight to your wheels.
cartronicshn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 05:29 PM   #49
Rock Stacker

if you compress the suspention by hand it doesnt bind, goes down real smooth. do anyone have a link for the losi whites?
350jeepcj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 05:54 PM   #50
Pebble Pounder

just my 2 cents but the two upper links look like they are bolted to the plate to tight or something
champ7times is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 06:05 PM   #51
Pebble Pounder

this might be a long shot of an idea. are the flanged balls the go in the top of the shock tight? after building my shocks and several of the links, they seemed tight. i just disassembled them cleaned the balls and the socket that they pop into. had some kind of film on them. my suspension was tight like that at first. now it moves very freely.
robsdak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 06:23 PM   #52
Quarry Creeper

The best way to fix the torque twist is to buy this
tedmales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 06:24 PM   #53
I wanna be Dave

I had a truck just like that when they first came out. http://media.putfile.com/CottonMouth Maybe that will help you a little bit. Other than that I suggest a Gatekeeper Designs delrin GC-2.
Kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 06:31 PM   #54
RCC Addict

As easy as it would be for someone to say, this is your problem. I would research, look at other ax10 builds.
Back in the day, i built my ax-10 kit stock, worked just fine from what i remember
Try thinner oil, cut some coils off the springs, use wheel weights, re do your rear upper links. Numurous things you could do.

Also, in this picture below, it looks like your shocks are already binding, look at your shock caps.
Hate to say it, but the "factory" set up probably worked better than what you have... Trial and error is your friend, just know when you f'ed it up. Also, when you move your shocks more outward on the chassis/axle you typically lose "flex", but are more stable on sidehills.

Good luck
dirk379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 06:37 PM   #55

I didnt see if anyone suggested moving you lower links outward on the axles and move your shock inward. That is how I have mine set up and it flexs great but does have a bit of torque twist. I still use the 3 link upper tho. I used HPI soft springs and heavier oil in the shocks. I still need to do 4 link uppers and triangulate the lower links more.

And then I read the post above mine to see that some one did address this!! DOH!

Last edited by Jeff@Redline; 01-16-2009 at 06:39 PM. Reason: DOH!
Jeff@Redline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 10:17 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirk379 View Post
As easy as it would be for someone to say, this is your problem. I would research, look at other ax10 builds.
Back in the day, i built my ax-10 kit stock, worked just fine from what i remember
Try thinner oil, cut some coils off the springs, use wheel weights, re do your rear upper links. Numurous things you could do.

Also, in this picture below, it looks like your shocks are already binding, look at your shock caps.
Hate to say it, but the "factory" set up probably worked better than what you have... Trial and error is your friend, just know when you f'ed it up. Also, when you move your shocks more outward on the chassis/axle you typically lose "flex", but are more stable on sidehills.

Good luck
Your shocks are bound at the chassis, good eye Dirk, they are literally forced against the chassis with the way you have them mounted, you need to move them back inside the chassis with a spacer, or space the shocks outward. It will pop the caps off before it flexes this way, I bet this will solve most of the problem from what I can see, try it out.

Last edited by DesertCrawler; 01-16-2009 at 10:19 PM. Reason: Give another member props
DesertCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 10:35 PM   #57
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertCrawler View Post
Your shocks are bound at the chassis, good eye Dirk, they are literally forced against the chassis with the way you have them mounted, you need to move them back inside the chassis with a spacer, or space the shocks outward. It will pop the caps off before it flexes this way, I bet this will solve most of the problem from what I can see, try it out.
the problem is the upper links on top of the plate!!!!! they need to go under,,,, and try loosening all the ball cups abit they cant be torqued on they are plastic.....
Old 01-16-2009, 10:36 PM   #58

Are you running enough weight in your tires?
hotcarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 10:38 PM   #59
Pebble Pounder

ITS THE LINKS !!!!!!!!! change them and the shock MOUNTING, AND LOOSEN THE BALL CUPS

Last edited by BEAU; 01-16-2009 at 10:40 PM. Reason: ADD MORE
Old 01-17-2009, 08:14 AM   #60
RCC Addict

put everything back to stock, and start over.
Manning is offline   Reply With Quote