Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: My new chassis design - bodyless tvp design.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2009, 12:34 PM   #21
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini View Post
The new design looks hella better than the first one my only suggestion is to bring it in more I see it too long and might cause some problems. But looks great I see a really sweet chasis in the near furture.

This is what most companys should do is get a bunch of feedback from diffrent driver's to make a chassis thart works for everyone, not just have one pro design it, not knocking the pros there not pros for no reason, but there gonna design it to there driving skill and what they like more than what everyone else is looking for.

Keep up the great work looking foward to the finish product.
I'm a big proponent of customer satisfaction. I hate when a company releases a product, and ignores the blatant feedback of it's most important users: the customers. If they don't like your product or supprot, they will go elsewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURTLE View Post
I see what your saying, however from my experience I have never seen a chassis that has worked great for a super and a 2.2. I would design around 2.2 dimensions and try to accomidate most 2.2 axles.
As for GC I run a 2" ground clearance on my sw3 and it is great (no berg), but from my experience a 3" GC for a axial is really pushing it. 2.5 ok, 2.75, eh ok, 3... you will notice a huge climbing and side hilling difference especially from 2". Im tellin ya HUGE! Not to mention the suspension will act very differnet, and in my eyes its something I will never do to a axial.
I hope this helps.
Ty

I'll look at making it shorter, but not near as short as 8". Another forum member has offered to cut a set of lexan plates for the pre-prototype, so as soon as the design is ready, I'll send it over to get cut.

Last edited by monkeyracer; 01-16-2009 at 12:40 PM.
monkeyracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-2009, 05:20 PM   #22
Pebble Pounder

well, i like it. it shows originality. you said limiting the front end, why? i am running a 40/60 droop and like the fact it moves both directions. limiting shock movement is a bad thing, right?

you have to excuse the questions, i am fairly new to all this.
thanks.
robsdak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 05:47 PM   #23
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by robsdak View Post
well, i like it. it shows originality. you said limiting the front end, why? i am running a 40/60 droop and like the fact it moves both directions. limiting shock movement is a bad thing, right?

you have to excuse the questions, i am fairly new to all this.
thanks.
Sometimes too much articulation is bad, but most will want the maximum amount. Sometimes you want to bridge a gap with one wheel in the air.
Old 01-16-2009, 06:13 PM   #24
Pebble Pounder

ok, never thought of it like that. bridging a gap. i just played with mine till i found what i liked for the moment. i am trying 8 springs, 2 per shock. keeps everything kinda neutral . like i said i am learning.
robsdak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 09:12 PM   #25
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyracer View Post
I have been looking at different chassis for the ax10, and I like certain things from each of the different designs that are out there.
I looked at the GC-2, SWX, FLM SPV2, TVG Edge, etc and picked out a few features that I liked.
I've liked the body-less or "hybrid" designs the most (mix of tvp and tuber style, like the SPV2.) but wanted to make one on my own.

So, here's what I came up with:

JCAD MRRC Prototype

Revision 1:

I did want to get some opinions on the design before I send it to get cut (waterjet cutter.)
Here's some things that I considered while designing this;
- I wanted something that allowed adjustability, but actually looked like a truck. (But still keeps a good amount of articulation)
- It retains the stock holes of the original chassis (except body post holes, since it's designed to be body-less, but it can be used with a body)
- It allows for shorter touring car shocks and many other shock designs.
- It easily allows for inboard lower links without having to cut the stock plate.
- Holes placed to allow for double triangulation, and other anti-torque-twist geometries.
- It's approximately 14.5" long, and 3 5/8" tall.

This would be for my own personal use, since I don't have the appropriate stars to ask about interest in this. But if you have constructive criticism on the design, let me know.

OMG

I Sent this same basic design over to FLM... in September. Great minds and all that.
stampedeproject is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 09:23 PM   #26
I wanna be Dave

I figured you might do that. I wanted to get a hold of you to see if I can get some of the 81mm posts for this, but I'm checking on a local machine shop's prices for my own design. What did your truck version look like?
Old 01-16-2009, 09:34 PM   #27
I wanna be Dave

Revision 2:

This design has the kerf radius, which changes it a little bit.
Also, the hole spacing was modified to .05" between the holes. It was .0313" before, but it didn't hurt to make make them further apart. I took the fender speed holes out, the more I think about it, the less likely I will be to use the touring shocks. Less holes = less machine time = lower cost.

Last edited by monkeyracer; 01-17-2009 at 08:07 AM.
Old 01-16-2009, 10:16 PM   #28
I wanna be Dave

Here's what it might look like if it were shorter:

and if it didn't have the "roll bar"

I could only get it down to about 12", anything shorter looked wierd...

The fun of design...
Old 01-17-2009, 11:06 AM   #29
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyracer View Post
I figured you might do that. I wanted to get a hold of you to see if I can get some of the 81mm posts for this, but I'm checking on a local machine shop's prices for my own design. What did your truck version look like?
The overall design is freaking scary close, like you were looking over my shoulder.

Just two people with the same basic. No foul, Jamie at FLM and myself are the only two people that have seen the design... I may have shared it with Holmes but I know none of them would have shared the idea. Unless you somehow hacked my encrypted USB drive, LOL, I doubt you saw what I was doing

I have a number of additional concepts that I integrated into it, but overall about the same idea.

FLM and I got caught up in other more pressing parts, but it will be introduced hopefully by the 2.2 Midwest Challenge along with an SPV2 version for the Rock Force and a bunch of other parts since FLM is a Gold sponsor for the event with a display table.

Looking good I would say my flavor of the design would be a little different than what you have here.
stampedeproject is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 03:23 PM   #30
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampedeproject View Post
The overall design is freaking scary close, like you were looking over my shoulder.

Just two people with the same basic. No foul, Jamie at FLM and myself are the only two people that have seen the design... I may have shared it with Holmes but I know none of them would have shared the idea. Unless you somehow hacked my encrypted USB drive, LOL, I doubt you saw what I was doing

I have a number of additional concepts that I integrated into it, but overall about the same idea.

FLM and I got caught up in other more pressing parts, but it will be introduced hopefully by the 2.2 Midwest Challenge along with an SPV2 version for the Rock Force and a bunch of other parts since FLM is a Gold sponsor for the event with a display table.

Looking good I would say my flavor of the design would be a little different than what you have here.
That is really strange, I was inspired by the spv2, but I wanted something different.

I just sent the file to the prototyper and am awaiting the reply.
Old 01-18-2009, 08:48 AM   #31
I wanna be Dave

Here's a few more iterations of the design:

Truck with no roll bar, shock positions moved to within the body.
Square Back SUV variation (notice less holes, this can be on the above and below iterations)
Slant Back SUV variation (notice the rear fender is straight rather than curved down)

So, I really like the truck style, since that's what I originally started with. So here's a version with less holes:

I think this is my favorite iteration so far. It's actually even shorter than the prototype file I sent to the prototyper, and I may have him quote me on this one instead. (should be a pretty similar price) I'd need to find a way to get 9 body spacers though for any of these bodies to work.

Opinions?
Old 01-18-2009, 08:52 AM   #32
MODERHATER™

I like the slant back SUV looking one the best.

Last edited by 666; 01-18-2009 at 08:55 AM.
666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 09:30 AM   #33
Quarry Creeper

This thread is fantastic! I like all the different chassis designs. I can't wait to see the prototype!
eemmaaxxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 10:06 AM   #34
I wanna be Dave

I've got a great idea for this chassis, just waiting on the plates to get cut, as soon as I get them, I'll post it up here.
Old 01-20-2009, 08:08 AM   #35
"HOLLYWOOD"

Can't wait to see a prototype of this beauty..
Mini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 02:08 PM   #36
I wanna be Dave

What's a good name for this chassis? A lot of other chassis have letter designations, but what about a cool name? Something easy to remember, but definitive.

Maybe snake names; Cobra, Fang, Diamondback, Rattler, etc.
Or lizard names; Gecko, etc.
or Spider names; tarantula, recluse, etc.
Or, just something cool; rock attack, the mister (monkeyracer initials - MR),

I'd like to get some decals cut, and it would be cool to take this to a comp all together and decaled up right.

Suggestions?
Old 01-20-2009, 02:12 PM   #37
Quarry Creeper

Any word from the water jet man yet?? I say you call it the transformer .....
curve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 02:18 PM   #38
I wanna be Dave

Still waiting on the quote. I actually have two shops that I'm waiting on quotes. The prototype shop, and the waterjet shop. The preliminary quote from the waterjet shop was a day turnaround. Hopefully I have word later today.

transformer? what about optimus prime, or megatron, or one of the transformer's names?
I thought about chameleon, because of it's ability to change it's appearance, and it's a lizard that would be good at climbing rocks...
Old 01-20-2009, 02:20 PM   #39
Quarry Creeper

Thats why is said transformer b/c of its ability to change.
curve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 02:29 PM   #40
I wanna be Dave

I just got a hold of the waterjet place on the phone, the guy broke his wrist on friday, and just got back from a 4-day weekend full of quotes. He said I should have a quote by the end of the day.

The only thing I don't like about the transformer name is that it implies that the chassis can change shape on the fly. It is simple (only 6 screws) just not as easy as a flick of a switch. (Plus I may not want any copyright issues...)