Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Freds Tuber

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2010, 11:49 AM   #61
cherry bomb

the orange just didn't go well with the green, so I decided to try some stuff.

first is, i'm trying to dye a set of wheels green, some chromed plastic takes a dye really well, some doesn't i'll post final shotss after.

and i've been wanting to strip my rings, i'ev read drano was best, also read oven cleaner works good, too, I had oven cleaner on hand (be carful if you try please)

I moved each one of the rings to their own dish shortly after, this oven cleaner stuff worked fast, I was done in 5 min. (I only stripped the outer rings, the black inner rings dont stand out)

stripped rings, with the oven cleaner I used. you could just watch the orange bleed out.

i'm not going to strip the links, to much effort for something scratched to hell anyway.
fred0000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-19-2010, 01:50 PM   #62
cherry bomb

the wheels are done, I soaked them in the dye for 2-3 hours, it didn't get as dark as I was hoping for, I thnik they turned out alright, i'm going to run them just to have a differnt look then everyone else.

I will get some mounted pics hopefuly soon, need to transfer the weight from the curent wheels to these ones, or make them weigh the same.

pics:

Old 12-19-2010, 02:25 PM   #63
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred0000 View Post
I dont get your joke...

maybe cause I was born in Ontario though haha
"Mr Mackey voice: Drugs are bad Mmmm-Kay"

Nice Ride, I have afaik the same wheels good to see I can try to dye them
Caustic101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 05:30 PM   #64
cherry bomb

looks alright I think.
it'll do.

Edit: also would this crawler be comp legal? with the skins inside the chassis? let me know.
Old 12-21-2010, 08:40 PM   #65
Quarry Creeper

Here is a link for the rules. I read it through and it sounds like yours should be legal.

I have an Integy cage as well, I just haven't got my rig put together yet. Just too busy till after the first of the year.

http://www.usrcca.com/rules/2010_USRCCA_Rules.pdf

Randy
racerrandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 10:22 PM   #66
Suck it up!

I'd dq you just for the white zip ties.

Want me to send you some black ones?

btw: looks like the dye came out good.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 12:26 AM   #67
Rock Stacker

6580 Island Highway North, Unit A

or

140 Terminal Avenue

Your local Lordco stores, they have packs of zap straps. Also normally black zap straps are stonger then whites when same size.
Old 12-22-2010, 05:34 PM   #68
cherry bomb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude View Post
I'd dq you just for the white zip ties.

Want me to send you some black ones?

btw: looks like the dye came out good.
guess i'm not going to comp in Arkansas till I change my zip ties

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caustic101 View Post
6580 Island Highway North, Unit A

or

140 Terminal Avenue

Your local Lordco stores, they have packs of zap straps. Also normally black zap straps are stonger then whites when same size.
I know where to get zip ties, just used what I had on hand, I actualy have some green zipties I may put on, but they are dark green, we'll see
Old 12-22-2010, 05:49 PM   #69
Rock Stacker

I was just saying at lordco as they are bulk bags and rather cheap compared to say canadian tire
Old 12-27-2010, 06:40 PM   #70
cherry bomb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caustic101 View Post
I was just saying at lordco as they are bulk bags and rather cheap compared to say canadian tire
thats for sure, way cheaper at autoparts stores.

i've been wanting to try a new tire for a really long time, the panthers have done me well, but variety would be kinda nice, I wanted rovers, but found a deal on some brand new losi comp claw's so I will be giving those a shot on this rig, I still have a set of wheels that i've weighted to my like's for this rig, so that will work out well, they arn't as tall as I had hoped oh well.
Old 12-29-2010, 08:08 PM   #71
cherry bomb

my steel idler gear came in, should be rock solid atleast for a little while now.

Old 01-06-2011, 05:24 PM   #72
cherry bomb

I am finaly stepping into a taller tire, and let me tell you, I am excited. I ordered a set of white dot rovers from a member on here a little while ago, but getting impatient waiting for them, and today while in the hobbyshop to purchase my new motor I saw a set of pink dot rovers and had to buy them, they never had HB tires.
I also got myself a new 35t Tekin motor, should be a nice upgrade from the integy's i've been running for years.

I am in the proccess of mounting the tires now, the included foams with the rovers are a real let down, they are like 1/2" to short to even fill up the tire, so I am taking apart my current wheels and tires to use the pro-line memory foams out of them instead. the rover foams should be OK with the shorter panthers.

I think it'll be cool to have 2 sets of wheels/tires with me ready to go all the time.
Old 01-06-2011, 07:58 PM   #73
cherry bomb

finaly got the tires mounted, and motor installed. cant wait to try it this sat (aslong as its nice)

pics of the new shoes.

can see my HS-7954SH back in its rightful place, got old fast with a weaker servo...

and the new Tekin T35 hiding inside.

Old 01-06-2011, 08:35 PM   #74
I wanna be Dave

It looks good! Do you have a place to do winter comps?
BigSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 08:47 PM   #75
cherry bomb

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSki View Post
It looks good! Do you have a place to do winter comps?
don't have a place to do comps at all they used to, then I got into it and no one was putting them on, (I have yet to comp..ever) there is alot of talk about it going on through the winter, this season should be looking pretty good, i'm stoked.
Old 01-06-2011, 09:40 PM   #76

Fred, what kind of dye did you use on the wheels? I like it
SmokinRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 09:42 PM   #77
cherry bomb

I use RIT brand fabric dye, I havnt tried others, I just stick to what I know works, and been using for years, youtube has a few decent video tutorials on dyeing plastics if its something your interested in doing.
Old 01-06-2011, 09:49 PM   #78

Absolutly. I think theres a crafts store that sells r.i.t. close to home. I was thinking of doing a black over the chrome stockers I have but wasnt sure if it would work. Back in the day we would use rit to dye our buggy wheels. a guy I raced with used a few packs of Kool Aid and it worked
SmokinRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 09:52 PM   #79
cherry bomb

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinRocks View Post
Absolutly. I think theres a crafts store that sells r.i.t. close to home. I was thinking of doing a black over the chrome stockers I have but wasnt sure if it would work. Back in the day we would use rit to dye our buggy wheels. a guy I raced with used a few packs of Kool Aid and it worked
I knew you could, and have dyed white/some clear plastics, I saw someone do chrome and really wanted to try it, this was my first try dying chrome, and i'm very happy with it.

i've also heard of people pulling apart permanent markers and soaking the felts in water and using the ink to dye plastic. I think it would be cheaper to get a pack of RIT.
Old 01-06-2011, 11:40 PM   #80
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred0000 View Post
I am in the proccess of mounting the tires now, the included foams with the rovers are a real let down, they are like 1/2" to short to even fill up the tire, so I am taking apart my current wheels and tires to use the pro-line memory foams out of them instead. the rover foams should be OK with the shorter panthers.

I think it'll be cool to have 2 sets of wheels/tires with me ready to go all the time.
The Crawler Innovation's 5.5" double deuce foams work really really well in my Rovers. You might want to give them a try sometime... Memory Foams really suck in the winter time.

I see your from Naniamo, have you ever taken your crawler up to Tofino? My friends have a house up there and the rock on Frank Island is insane! Next time I go I'm taking my crawler with me!

TOM
sourdojack is offline   Reply With Quote