Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: *REVISED* gunnar beef toob install

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2011, 10:03 PM   #61
RCC Addict

I will have a pic later this evening. I am not upset, I know this happens to the best of us... It is a standard install with VP 8* Knucks and Chubs, and the holes are clearly not perpendicular to each other....
jeeper_05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-02-2011, 10:23 PM   #62
Ex Nor-CalRCRC slave

If only one tube is bad, I could get it out in the mail tomorrow.

I'll get a piece of wire to check the holes before shipping toobs out from now on.

Last edited by gunnar; 06-02-2011 at 10:25 PM.
gunnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 10:39 PM   #63
RCC Addict

You can see the upper screw is crooked, they are tightened all the way with no chub. I could tell before I tried to put it on that things weren't lined up... I need to check the others I got too....
jeeper_05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 02:57 AM   #64
Ex Nor-CalRCRC slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeper_05 View Post
You can see the upper screw is crooked, they are tightened all the way with no chub. I could tell before I tried to put it on that things weren't lined up... I need to check the others I got too....
Yea, that is quite a bit off. I have been checking the tubes(with screws as in your pic), so far every one is good, not quite done with all of them yet.

PM me with your address when you can, thanks.
Old 06-03-2011, 03:05 AM   #65
Tossin' Salad

That does look not-so-pretty. One thing you can do, at least give it a try, flip the whole toob 180 degrees, and see if it sits differently. I know it sounds funny, and in theory should offer the same results, but when I first started making these, I dealt with this same thing.

We would be happy to get you a replacement if need be.

Casey
KC_JoNeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 01:24 PM   #66
Ex Nor-CalRCRC slave

OK, so I checked all the tubes out, Out of roughly 70 total, about 60 percent are dead on perfect. The rest are off just a tiny amount, but it is such a small difference it won't really matter, I would say it's 1/3, or even 1/4 the difference seen in jeeper05's photo. And Casey is right, when I flipped those tubes and tested with a pin, instead of screws, they do line up better. The hole is in the right spot in the tube, it's just that the angle is off when treaded. This tells me the starting hole is correct, it's that the tap is started in wrong. There were 4 bad toobs out of the lot that are about like the photo, which have been set aside.

The pin I made is a very tight fit to the minor diameter of the threads, and it easily shows if the threads are off or not. Ill get a pic up over the weekend.

Last edited by gunnar; 06-03-2011 at 01:34 PM.
Old 06-14-2011, 05:36 PM   #67
I wanna be Dave

What would have to be done in order to make these function with the stock dogbones, Vanquish high steer arms (non zero axkerman) and CKRC C-hubs? I'm really trying to avoid purchasing CVD's because the dogbones offer plenty of strength in my application.

Sorry if its been posted. I searched but didn't find anything, other than these aren't a direct fit in my application.
meatmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 07:22 PM   #68
Tossin' Salad

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatmonkey View Post
What would have to be done in order to make these function with the stock dogbones, Vanquish high steer arms (non zero axkerman) and CKRC C-hubs? I'm really trying to avoid purchasing CVD's because the dogbones offer plenty of strength in my application.

Sorry if its been posted. I searched but didn't find anything, other than these aren't a direct fit in my application.
On the dog bones, you have to shave down the flange that rests against the outer most bearing. It is quite simple.

Casey
KC_JoNeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 11:38 AM   #69
I wanna be Dave

Does that allow the inner axle to "float" a little, or would I put a shock O-ring in the outer axle to hold it in place towards the diff?

Sounds like a simple five minute modification. Good to know.
meatmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 01:13 PM   #70
Ex Nor-CalRCRC slave

Yes, it would "float" a small amount. Don't use an O ring. The difference from fitting to not fitting is a few thousandth's of an inch, so you could also remove that amount from the end of the tube.
Old 07-31-2011, 03:01 PM   #71
Quarry Creeper

hows that BTA clocking going Mr. Jones?

Gunnar, if I'm understanding properly, rather than touching the dog bones I can just sand off a few thou from the tube and achieve the same result?
Crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 03:51 PM   #72
Ex Nor-CalRCRC slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
...Gunnar, if I'm understanding properly, rather than touching the dog bones I can just sand off a few thou from the tube and achieve the same result?
Yea, a few thousandths should be fine, just enough the give the dogbone some room to move(if it seems tight on install).

When I tried assembling with dogbones, I didn't have any problems. This could be due to tolerance diiferences in the dogbones, axles housings, toobs, or a combination of all three.

The bearing in the end of the housing should be flush with the end, or a few thou inset into the housing.