Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: *REVISED* gunnar beef toob install

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2010, 10:10 PM   #1
Tossin' Salad

Default *REVISED* gunnar beef toob install

As many have requested to have these toobs predrilled and tapped, the install has changed slightly. I will give a brief overview with pics on how I am doing these installs for prefit and testing.

First, let us get our tools ready. I am using 2 drill bits, 3mm and 3.2mm. I have some fine cutters, and a grinding bit to fit my drill.

So, you have already broken down your axle housing and removed the bearings and diff gears. We need to remove the bearing seat. I start with the cutters.

Next up, we need to finish off it off with a grinding bit to clean it up smooth.

Next, we need to open up the holes at the end of the housing. I use the 3.2mm bit for this. 3.5mm would be fine as well.

Now, lets move on to your Cs. If you are running the Axial clockable Cs, these are tapped, and they need to be opened up a bit. I use a 3mm bit for this.

Now, we are ready for assembly. As you can see from this next pic, I like to use longer screws first to get the toob lined up. I place both toobs into one half of the housing, and insert long screws to get them started. This will guarantee that the holes line up when you place the other half of the housing.

Once the two halves are together, you can remove the screws, and press your Cs into place. Then insert your screws.

Now that you have finished the toob assembly, you can take it apart, clean it well, and reinsert your bearings and diff gears. I recommend doing your tubes with all other hardware out of the housings.

Casey

Last edited by KC_JoNeS; 09-14-2010 at 09:09 PM.
KC_JoNeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-10-2010, 11:38 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Looks good, just a spelling note: Its TUBE not TOOB
Crawling Calvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 01:33 AM   #3
Tossin' Salad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawling Calvin View Post
Looks good, just a spelling note: Its TUBE not TOOB

Thanks for the tip.

Old 09-11-2010, 02:44 AM   #4
RCC Addict

Thanks for the write up, can't wait to get mine.
DonsATV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 08:24 AM   #5
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC_JoNeS View Post

Thanks for the tip.

Crawling Calvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 10:10 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

You guys are silly

KC ,Gunnar you guys are the sh1t thanks for all you do for our wonderful world

Jason
jhghah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 07:49 PM   #7
Tossin' Salad

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhghah View Post
You guys are silly

KC ,Gunnar you guys are the sh1t thanks for all you do for our wonderful world

Jason
Well, gunnar is the brains Jason. I am just the seeker of cheap labor and materials.

Old 09-11-2010, 09:55 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC_JoNeS View Post
Well, gunnar is the brains Jason. I am just the seeker of cheap labor and materials.

Hey man whatever it takes

Jason
jhghah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 07:55 AM   #9
Tossin' Salad

It is time to raise this to the top. This is the proper install procedure for the toobs at this time.

Casey
Old 11-03-2010, 11:02 AM   #10
RCC Addict

yea i was confused at the first DIY. lol
but at that note: Im UbeR stoked for mine to arrive!!
SwampDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 11:08 AM   #11
cherry bomb

Good post. But. I have yet to install mine for one reason. What length screws are those.
I don't have a ton of screws at my disposal so getting the right ones first try would be awesome.

Thanks
fred0000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 12:23 PM   #12
Ex Nor-CalRCRC slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred0000 View Post
Good post. But. I have yet to install mine for one reason. What length screws are those.
I don't have a ton of screws at my disposal so getting the right ones first try would be awesome.

Thanks
For the thinner wall Axial C's 3x6 button heads should work good. If you are using the thicker wall type of C's (STRC comes to mind) a 3x8 should work. If using a smaller diameter cvd or dog bones, the screw can protrude into the tube 1mm to 1.5mm. If Super 300 cvd's are used, you don't want the screw going in past the tube, maybe .5mm at the most. You can look into the tube with the bearing out to check screw depth.
gunnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 12:21 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

Bump for one of the top items on my christmas list
Mud Puppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 07:35 PM   #14
Rock Stacker

Got mine today and had them installed in a few minutes! Great product......
Cleaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 11:31 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

so those are 3mm screws you guys are making them to fit....isn't axial clockible C's 3mm grub/set screws if i'm not mistaken.......bob

bob1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 04:14 PM   #16
Tossin' Salad

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob1961 View Post
so those are 3mm screws you guys are making them to fit....isn't axial clockible C's 3mm grub/set screws if i'm not mistaken.......bob

Yes, I think you are correct. Any M3 screw will work. I prefer M3 x 8...or something around that size.
Old 03-31-2011, 02:34 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

when you remove the bearing seat will the toob hold the bearing at the right spot?
9700trevor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 02:49 PM   #18
Croakin' across the pond!

Casey, can you supply the toobs and the Gunnars Pins too - if I'm going to do this - and I can feel it coming on - then it makes sence to change the pins at the same time. I run the 3Racing cvds and they will almost certainly fall apart when I split the "c"s and knuckles (These the Hot racing ones).

Re: the earlier question on the bearing face - is it possible to move the toobs out towards the hub, seat the bearing on it, and take up some of the play?
I was surprised when I took mine apart for the first time, as the bearing seems to act more like a guide than a bearing.
Dasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 08:47 PM   #19
Tossin' Salad

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9700trevor View Post
when you remove the bearing seat will the toob hold the bearing at the right spot?
Yes, the bearing is held in the exact same spot...but with no slop whatsoever. The stock bearing seat offers some slop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasher View Post
Casey, can you supply the toobs and the Gunnars Pins too - if I'm going to do this - and I can feel it coming on - then it makes sence to change the pins at the same time. I run the 3Racing cvds and they will almost certainly fall apart when I split the "c"s and knuckles (These the Hot racing ones).

Re: the earlier question on the bearing face - is it possible to move the toobs out towards the hub, seat the bearing on it, and take up some of the play?
I was surprised when I took mine apart for the first time, as the bearing seems to act more like a guide than a bearing.
I dont provide the pins...but, gunnar will ship the toobs and pins together if you ask him. You can pay me or him for the pins. We always work it out.

As for play, there is no play when the toobs are in there. The bearings will seat directly against the toobs, and there is no play.

Casey
Old 03-31-2011, 09:23 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

Just thought i would add something to the install thread, i drilled and tapped an extra hole, elongated the c-hub holes and got some extra clocking out of the front.

you can see the extra screws at the front of the axle that hold the tubes in place now that the c-hub holes are elongated.
DioptricStraw is offline   Reply With Quote