Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: newb to crawling,,,AX10 to start

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2011, 10:36 PM   #1

Default newb to crawling,,,AX10 to start

Well First a big hello! been in and out of Rc for 15 years now...got the bug again when I spotted a cool RockCraw rig online awhile back...Any way getting started with two rigs this holiday..a RTR wraith and a kit ax10...Got a new airtronics 4ch mx4 on the way too...the ax10 I want build up as I get some trigger time with the wriath..So far I have chosen a few upgrades for the ax like batt tray for the front,bent arms, and a bunch of other stuff. I am going brushless with a novak goat 3s 21.5.and a hitac ultra torque 7954sh...puts out 403 oz..looking for some help in guiding in the right direction so my learing curve is not wasted on dumb mistakes...I made a ton of these in the past by not getting the tips and help from guy doing this for a while...
any way thanks for any help!!!
Capthowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-15-2011, 10:42 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: newb to crawling,,,AX10 to start

There both really good rigs for bashing around
Creepy Krawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 10:59 PM   #3
RCC Addict

i just got a ax10 RTC yesterday (have had my honcho for over a year now though) and got a few mods that i plan on doing here's my list..

-mount links inside chassis
-alum links including steering links
-lipo batts (will get the honcho set up on lipo at the same time)
-tires
-weight in wheels
-spring tuning
-move body posts higher
then in the spring i will switch my electronics (novak rooster esc, spektrum transmitter and receiver) from my honcho to my ax10 for the summer.

hope this list gives you some more ideas.. oh and welcome to RCC.
AX10wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 11:29 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by AX10wannabe View Post
(novak rooster esc, spektrum transmitter and receiver)
I'm not sure if you plan on buying just the esc or the combo, but if I may suggest, buy the fxr. Its smaller and easier to mount the programming is more accessible in my opinion. I started with a Rooster, but quickly upgraded to a fxr. Just my $0.02
Man of 5lay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 12:27 AM   #5
D-Wray 4 Prez!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man of 5lay View Post
I'm not sure if you plan on buying just the esc or the combo, but if I may suggest, buy the fxr. Its smaller and easier to mount the programming is more accessible in my opinion. I started with a Rooster, but quickly upgraded to a fxr. Just my $0.02
The rooster is a sound system. I use it in my scaler, as well as the fxr in my crawler. It's just that the rooster is 2c and the fxr is 3c. Neeed that extra punch with my crawler.
Frankenwheely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 01:36 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

i've got a rooster with 35t motor. Been using 3c for a couple of years . I have excellent drag brake. A bec should be on your want/need list also. Hope this helps a bit
ax10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 02:33 AM   #7
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man of 5lay View Post
huh?? im running the rooster in my honcho and i love it. im not interested in programming shit. im very happy i can quickly switch it from being able to run nicd to lipo batts within about 1.5 minutes.
Old 12-16-2011, 07:41 AM   #8

The goat 3s is a brushless system with a 21.5 motor...novaks site says this is going to be the " go to" setup for crawlers....
I thought it had bec already in the esc?
Old 12-16-2011, 07:47 AM   #9

Uhhhh sorry just read I wrote the wrong airtronics radio....it's the mt4 with telemetry....4ch
Old 12-16-2011, 07:49 AM   #10

Can't wait to get my wraith to get some trigger time.... Not to mention start building my AX..
I'm 40 and still feel like I'm 14 lol.....
Old 12-16-2011, 07:59 AM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capthowdy View Post
Can't wait to get my wraith to get some trigger time.... Not to mention start building my AX..
I'm 40 and still feel like I'm 14 lol.....
I like my AX10; 4 linked, steering link upgrade, Rovers and more to do to it.
I'm 58 and go by the rule, "We never grow up, just learn to act in public" and sometimes I don't act right in public .
Joe&Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 08:08 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

Quote:
The goat 3s is a brushless system with a 21.5 motor...novaks site says this is going to be the " go to" setup for crawlers....
I thought it had bec already in the esc?

this may have been true when they came out, but time has passed! there are alot better systems for less money. the goat does have an internal bec, but it's not going to be strong enough to provide the power you will need for that servo. you WILL need an external bec.

from one newbie to another, i would stay away from brushless if it's going in a dedicated crawler. i have a mamba max pro with a 18.5t sensored brushless novak crawler motor in my wraith. i love it in there. BUT drag brake is different in brushless setups. if i let off the trigger, my truck STOPS exactly where it is. there is NO roll out. going down hill this can be bad. it can cause endo's. also going downhill as soon as you touch the trigger the car goes into freewheel, there is NO engine brake (drag brake) at all. if you let off the trigger, dead stop!! in a pure crawler these are bad things. in a scaler or a rig that is set up for more than crawling, they are fine. in my wraith, i love the power and wheel speed of the brushless for climbing loose hills and such.

my personal recommendation would be something like a fxr with 35t motor, or even holmes hobbies brxl with 35t motor.
hoghead5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 09:20 AM   #13
No idea what I'm doing

Quote:
..looking for some help in guiding in the right direction so my learing curve is not wasted on dumb mistakes..
Still not sure why this isn't a stickie yet, but it has some great info.

K.O.M.'s Newbie Comp Build

And welcome to RCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by AX10wannabe View Post
im not interested in programming shit.
You should be. There's a lot more going on than just pulling the trigger. Learning how to set up your ESC, Radio...even your BEC will make your truck perform much more to your liking.
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 06:28 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Welcome! Your F#$ked! its an addiction that will take up all of your time and force you to miss your 3yr anniversary with your girlfriend cause your new parts just came in and you wanna put your rig together instead of go to dinner with her i know from experience. haha! best advice i have for you is do your research before you buy parts!!! Spend other peoples money and watch them do it first, then learn from it! This site is great for that, you can get info on everything!!!
shooter125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 10:01 PM   #15

Yup my motor esc combo has changed......going with a tekin fx pro and a Tekin 45 or a 55 motor....unless someone thinks there might be a better motor choice?
Old 12-16-2011, 10:05 PM   #16

Talking Re: newb to crawling,,,AX10 to start

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooter125 View Post
Welcome! Your F#$ked! its an addiction that will take up all of your time and force you to miss your 3yr anniversary with your girlfriend cause your new parts just came in and you wanna put your rig together instead of go to dinner with her i know from experience. haha! best advice i have for you is do your research before you buy parts!!! Spend other peoples money and watch them do it first, then learn from it! This site is great for that, you can get info on everything!!!

Yea I hear ya man....I don't do anything half ass either....I feel anything worth doing is worth doing right...or just be as anal as poss! Just got done modding my 2010 Camaro SS...needless to say...10grand and 600 horsepower later.....
Need to take a break from that beast......just enjoy driving her now....
Old 12-17-2011, 01:18 AM   #17
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by C*H*U*D View Post
Still not sure why this isn't a stickie yet, but it has some great info.

K.O.M.'s Newbie Comp Build

And welcome to RCC

You should be. There's a lot more going on than just pulling the trigger. Learning how to set up your ESC, Radio...even your BEC will make your truck perform much more to your liking.
ya i know there's more than just pulling the trigger.. i've been into crawling for over a year im no newbie anymore... wont be getting a BEC for a long time.. like next summer i have a custom built racing mower in the making for 2 years but just havent had the money to finish it so thats very high on the list.
Old 12-17-2011, 09:38 AM   #18
Proverbial threadkiller

Quote:
....I thought it had bec already in the esc?
Yeah, just about pretty much any ESC has that in it, so you might be onto something about 'why spend $20-$25 I don't have to?'

BTW, let us know if your truck develops a habit of stalling out, especially if you get your front tires wedged, and try to crawl out of it. Mine would just quit, then as I walked over to look at it, I'd get halfway there and it would kick back on. Got a little worse when I ran 7 cell, and got really super bad when I ran 8 cells. Just curious if your does this, too.
Trubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 08:34 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trubble View Post
Yeah, just about pretty much any ESC has that in it, so you might be onto something about 'why spend $20-$25 I don't have to?'
If your asking if or why I need a BEC, 9 times out of 10 you need one!

you buy a Castle Creations BEC so you can adjust the voltage & run higher voltage than most esc come with... most are 4.5 volt (i think) to 5. something on some of the newer stuff.
Most servos can handle atleast 6V... so to get more torque out of you servo & put less strain (amprage draw) on your ESC you use a BEC.

just serch what a BEC does.... youll get the exact wording to the question.
airdreams1 is offline   Reply With Quote

newb to crawling,,,AX10 to start - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
want to start crawling 69z28rsss Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 3 01-23-2011 10:13 PM
Want to start crawling pink_sleeve Axial AX-10 Scorpion 13 04-13-2009 03:04 PM
Where to start (newb to scale stuff) BeerMonkeY Newbie General 1 09-25-2008 08:27 AM
Newb looking to start clawling down2earths10 Newbie General 21 07-05-2006 03:09 PM