Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: ***HARDKNOCKZ El Nino III***

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2013, 08:53 PM   #81
Its a HARDKNOCKZ Life...

Default Re: ***HARDKNOCKZ El Nino III***

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63comet View Post
That looks great!
Quote:
Originally Posted by douwe View Post
Great looking car.
Nice pictures. Canon rocks!

send from my HTC One-X
Why thank you fellars & I agree...Canon DOES rock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fj40jay View Post
those wheels are so bad as*
Yes they is. As usual...the product leaving the NCD camp is TOP SHELF. The grade of carbon fiber is RI-DICKA-LICKA-LICOLOUS & the machining is FLAWLESS. Combine that with the customer service ya get & it shows that NCD is a prime example of how every vendor should be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EverettY View Post
Totally agree

So since you got a nice camera you got a nice picture too of the motor plate mounted up?
Not yet there junior. Haven't even had time to install the sumbitch yet but I'll be sure to give ya props. Okee dokee artichokee?

Im outta town on the Central Coast of Cali helping out with my sick moms but DID bring my rigs.

The sporty got taken down to my old stomping grounds today & literally KILLED my old school "hard lines" that I'd use to test & tune The Progress chassis on when I 1st built her. Not saying that The Progress is a bad chassis but rigs have come SO FAR as a whole since the 1st round of Progress chassis' hit the scene & this here sporto dun did work son.

Workin on collecting some video & will be heading to my favorite Cen Cal spot in Pismo mananas.

SO STOKED on this little rig & even tho Im still tuning out some quirks...Im having more fun running her than Ive had crawling in a long time.

¡2.2s class por vida putos!

J.D.

Last edited by HARDKNOCKZ; 04-12-2013 at 08:55 PM.
HARDKNOCKZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-12-2013, 09:35 PM   #82
E.Y. Designs

Quote:
Originally Posted by HARDKNOCKZ View Post
Yes they is. As usual...the product leaving the NCD camp is TOP SHELF. The grade of carbon fiber is RI-DICKA-LICKA-LICOLOUS & the machining is FLAWLESS. Combine that with the customer service ya get & it shows that NCD is a prime example of how every vendor should be.

Not yet there junior. Haven't even had time to install the sumbitch yet but I'll be sure to give ya props. Okee dokee artichokee?

J.D.
What model camera is it?

Definitely in my top 3 vendors list So did you get 2 sets of the same wheels? Or just take the ones from your XR and put them on this?

LOL... Ok well hurry up and get it mounted JK... Looking forward to seeing it mounted
EverettY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 10:19 PM   #83
Rock Crawler

Quote:
What model camera is it?

Definitely in my top 3 vendors list So did you get 2 sets of the same wheels? Or just take the ones from your XR and put them on this?

LOL... Ok well hurry up and get it mounted JK... Looking forward to seeing it mounted
Patience you must have my young padewan!
MitchellY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 10:48 PM   #84
Its a HARDKNOCKZ Life...

Quote:
What model camera is it?

Cameras an EOS 5D Mark III.

Nope. Same set of wheels. Im playing with some test foams that Eddie at C.I. sent me so the sporty was next in line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchellY View Post
Patience you must have my young padewan!
Man...how do ya live with that kid?

Jokin brutha. I wish I could get as excited about stuff as yer lil bro.
Old 04-12-2013, 11:10 PM   #85
Rock Crawler

Quote:

Man...how do ya live with that kid?

Jokin brutha. I wish I could get as excited about stuff as yer lil bro.
I ask myself that same question every day haha

Yeah I know! I used to be like off the walls every time a new part came in. Now it's just like bout time it got here. If every RC hobbiest had his excitement our hobby would be 10x bigger than it is!
MitchellY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 11:13 AM   #86
Its a HARDKNOCKZ Life...

Working on a few updates throughout today & tomorrow since I'm stuck at home with my 2 little monsters.

I received a snazzy little piece from EverretY a couple of weeks ago & this will be 1 of the changes...

I guess he designed this CF motor plate for NCD so they sent him a handful & he was nice enough to give me 1 outta his stash. Thanks kiddo

As always...the machining & material comin outta the NCD camp is top notch.

A few weeks ago Chris over at Creation Fab texted me to tell me they had a shipment of 450mAh packs coming in & I'd better jump on it if I wanted some.

I tried switching over to the Gens Ace 450's a couple seasons ago only to have a pack die mid course...TWICE. So I promptly yanked em & went back to my trusty Thunder Power 850mAh packs. I've had these TP's for a LONG time. Out of the 15 packs that I have, about a third have a date of 2009 on em Still...no puffing & all the punch I need.

But they're just too huge & I'm tired of my tire getting into em, ripping em from their mount so that I can drag em around the course until they finally come unplugged.

So here's the new STACK-O-PACKS...

I ended up grabbing a dozen of em so that I had plenty for the 2.2p rig as well as the sporto.

1st thing I always do with my packs is tag em with my name, date & number em. So far...I'm digging em. I plan on getting out this weekend & running a pack HARD & timing it's life...but I'm sure they'll be fine.

I broke the steering wheel on my 4PKS. NO CLUE as to how but it happened & only the foam "tire" was keeping it from falling apart.

I had a brand new Dynamite aluminum wheel from my DX3R days & figured it would not only LOOK disco...it would be strong. But of course it wasn't gonna just fit so after removing the old wheel & the "disc brakes" from the TX...I had to bust out the 5 axis Dremel to machine a new seat so that it would fit on the Foo-tah-buh radio.

OK...Onto some actual work.

I built this rig pretty quick as it's been mentioned. I did literally ZERO tuning & built her VERY neutral just to get her on the rocks. I grabbed my spare set of aluminum SCX shocks, threw some Mini-T silvers up front & blues out back. I couldn't remember what weight oil I built em with months before this but figured it had to be around the 30 range.

Since getting some play time with the rig...I wasn't liking how stiff she seemed. For most, it probably woulda worked fine but I like my rigs loosey goosey so I started the rebuild by yanking the shocks.

I completely rebuilt em with new O-rings & the new machined SCX pistons. I did my usual greasing of the seals & Teflon top & bottom to keep leaking at bay. I know some don't like the Teflon idea but as long as you don't go overboard with it...it DOES help. The biggest issue I see when people do this is they wrap the poo outta the threads & it SPREADS the plastic cap actually opening the threads...if not splitting the caps.

I filled all 4 with 35w Losi oil to start & threaded the Mini-T silvers onto the JeepinD retainers up front & MRC silvers out back.

A WCRCC club member Snail78 made me these snazzy collars outta delerin to eliminate the bulky aluminum "nut" that comes stock on these shocks.

I also went to the bent link ends to help the shafts clearance the servo arm & drag link a little better.

After popping in some aluminum Revo balls...the long ended turds up front to eliminate the Axial spacer...I mounted em up on the Nino Tres Locos chassis. Again....fairly neutral locations with rears 1 hole forward & the fronts, 2 holes forward.

Here's that long hollow ball that acts as a stand-off...

That's where I left off last night. Today I'll be installing that CF motor plate from Ev & NCD along with replacing the CVD I bent to piss 1 minute into a little shakedown.

I'll also be playing with the steering a little & tuning the foams but this is how she's sitting this morning...

I'm still learning this new camera but someday I'll figger out how to keep all my pics the same temp. Same issue I had with my cell's camera. Rookies huh?

Stay tuned for more Nino Tres Locos Mokos...
Old 04-18-2013, 11:21 AM   #87
E.Y. Designs

That looks absolutely beautiful! There isn't really much more CF you can put on that... You might have posted somewhere else but how much weight are you running on the front?
EverettY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 11:56 AM   #88
Rock Crawler

Quote:
That looks absolutely beautiful! There isn't really much more CF you can put on that... You might have posted somewhere else but how much weight are you running on the front?
Maybe a carbon fiber drag link.
Or a carbon fiber tranny...

send from my HTC One-X
douwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 12:28 PM   #89
TSK
Shelf queen

JD does love him his tranny...

Looks good bruh
TSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 12:31 PM   #90
Rock Crawler

Nice looking rig!
BuckImod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 01:16 PM   #91
I wanna be Dave

Very Very Nice JD!
TURBOFEST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 01:31 PM   #92
Its a HARDKNOCKZ Life...

Quote:
Thanks Junior & thanks again for the mount. I'll put her to good use.

Yeah...maybe CF uppers but I'm fine with the Ti.

I'm still playing with the knuckle weight but as of now I have 1 full ring @ .67oz & 2 halves @ .32oz each per side. I'm thinkin once I tune the foams a little, I'll be able to drop the full ring but time will tell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by douwe View Post
Maybe a carbon fiber drag link.
Or a carbon fiber tranny...
Eh...not likely. Not THAT interested in saving ounces. She was 4.02lbs at last weigh in & that was with SLW's & shaved Sedonas. I'll update that later tonight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSCorpionKing View Post
JD does love him his tranny...

Looks good bruh
Just the little Chinese one from Hawaii.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckImod View Post
Nice looking rig!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBOFEST View Post
Very Very Nice JD!
Thanks guys! It's been fun building this one & both of your builds are always among my favorites to watch.
Old 04-18-2013, 02:04 PM   #93
Pebble Pounder

Looks amazing, what body mounts are you using?
FesterUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 02:12 PM   #94
TSK
Shelf queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by FesterUK View Post
RCC only uses one brand of body mounts ya huuuuuuurd?

Gunnar Body Mounts

TSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 02:32 PM   #95
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSCorpionKing View Post
RCC only uses one brand of body mounts ya huuuuuuurd?

Gunnar Body Mounts

Thanks I will get a set ordered
FesterUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:57 PM   #96
Its a HARDKNOCKZ Life...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FesterUK View Post
Yeah....forgot to mention that I just got in Gunnars new mount set designed for the skinny spreaders. Killer price & he can even make you the aluminum cross members.
Old 04-20-2013, 09:26 AM   #97
Its a HARDKNOCKZ Life...

1st thing I did was sit my pooper down & learn how to work this dadgum camera. I've shot a lot of 35mm in my time but other than the phone camera & my GoPro...my digital experience is slim at best. This dealio DEFINITELY had me scratching my head to the puppy tilt. But I digress....

Chipped away at a few things last night including installing the NCD CF motor plate. Cool little piece & it saved 5 grams over the STILL BADASS BWD aluminum plate.

While I had the trans out, I decide to remove some of the slop in the gears. The spur shaft always seems to have a foot of lateral slop so after some red Loctite & a few shims...I removed all but .0000000000000000000001 of lateral movement making the spur feel way more secure.

I also switched the oxide screws for aluminum & gave the gears a light coat of Lucas Red-N-Tacky.

Motor was getting a tiny bit warm for my taste & with PLENTY of wheel speed coming from the 13 turns...I decided to step down the gearing a little by switching out the 12t pinion with a 10t. I didn't put a temp gun on the motor & it wasn't a blazing inferno by any stretch but as JRH LOVES to pound into our brains...Gear down, volt up! She's still QUICK & the motor is nice & cool.

I didn't grab a before weight & with the MEATY C.I. Outputs didn't expect a super light trans but this didn't seem bad for the reliability that's built in...

Here she is all buttoned up & ready for work n stuff....

I have more aluminum hardware coming from Fastener Express but went ahead & switched out what I could in the chassis...

I've had a few ask for that silly flex shot we all seem to enjoy. She MIGHT need a little limiting but I've always liked my rigs looser than not. So here's a mug full of articulation for ya flex lovers...

RTR weight with pack & lid is at 4lbs .5oz. Reckon I can live with that since I didn't do a whole lot to shave weight & feel like she's gonna be a reliable rig.

She'll get a few more changes & adjustments but will have some solid shakedowns this weekend.

J.D.
Old 04-20-2013, 09:38 AM   #98
I wanna be Dave

I like the wheel nut idea on the spur shaft looks fancy.
boosted4lyf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 09:50 AM   #99
I wanna be Dave

Looking good dude!

Quote:
She MIGHT need a little limiting but I've always liked my rigs looser than not.
You seem to like your rigs like you like your women.......looser than not and covered in carbon fiber.
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 10:36 AM   #100
Its a HARDKNOCKZ Life...

Quote:
Originally Posted by boosted4lyf View Post
I like the wheel nut idea on the spur shaft looks fancy.
Thanks but I must give props where props is due...I jacked that from Rowdy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyH View Post
Looking good dude!

You seem to like your rigs like you like your women.......looser than not and covered in carbon fiber.
Noooooo....I like my women looser than not & covered in chicken gravy. Sheesh. What kinda weirdo ya think I am man?

***HARDKNOCKZ El Nino III*** - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
HARDKNOCKZ Switch III HARDKNOCKZ Videos! 9 12-21-2012 07:38 AM
el nino 2 darkfly Tamiya TLT Crawlers 12 01-14-2010 04:37 AM
el nino 2 build! revoracer99 EnRoute Berg 12 12-24-2009 08:07 PM