Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: ***HARDKNOCKZ El Nino III***

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2013, 10:48 AM   #101
I wanna be Dave

Mmm...chicken...
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-20-2013, 04:41 PM   #102
E.Y. Designs

Default Re: ***HARDKNOCKZ El Nino III***

Wow that looks great now! One of the prettiest trannys I've seen in a long time Couldn't you lose quite a bit if you used some smaller wire on the motor? That stuff looks huge!

Last edited by EverettY; 04-20-2013 at 07:03 PM.
EverettY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 05:56 PM   #103
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by EverettY View Post
Wow that great now! One of the prettiest trannys I've seen in a long time Couldn't you lose quite a bit if you used some smaller wire on the motor? That stuff looks huge!
That could be taken waaaay out of context....... Sooo you've seen lots of pretty trannys?

Joking of course!
trevinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 07:04 PM   #104
E.Y. Designs

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevinator View Post
That could be taken waaaay out of context....... Sooo you've seen lots of pretty trannys?

Joking of course!
Well you need to learn to read it properly and not let your mind wander

And I meant to say "That looks great now" and not "That great now"
Old 04-20-2013, 11:33 PM   #105
Its a HARDKNOCKZ Life...

Quote:
Originally Posted by EverettY View Post
Wow that looks great now! One of the prettiest trannys I've seen in a long time Couldn't you lose quite a bit if you used some smaller wire on the motor? That stuff looks huge!
Its not as big as it looks. Its 20g & yeah...I could save some grams but again...I wasn't lookin for uber light on this rig.

The way I approached my 2.2p rig was this...I was going to build it with no target weight in mind. That didn't mean I wasn't going to take advantage of certain materials & parts to get her lightened up but I decided that if I end up with a 3.5lb car or a 5.5lb car...I wasn't gonna worry about it as long as she worked & she's workin killer right now @ 4lbs 3oz.

So I approached this build the same way. Im COMPLETELY tired of having to work on my rig the day before a comp because something broke, bent, cracked, stripped, fried or died so my MAIN objective was to have a RELIABLE RIG. Thats why I went with the C.I. outputs & Maxx shafts & yes...20 gauge wire running my motors. I know that 18g or even 16g will work but I feel much more comfy with a mid gauge wire running my power plant.

Make sense? Sure...I could shave a handful of ounces here & there but Im happy with her so far. If she doesn't work as well as I'd hoped at the end of the day...I might start shaving weight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevinator View Post

Joking of course!
Easy man. Kids only 14 years old. I doubt he's seen ANY "trannys" which AINT a bad thing.

J.D.
HARDKNOCKZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 11:58 PM   #106
E.Y. Designs

Quote:
Originally Posted by HARDKNOCKZ View Post
Its not as big as it looks. Its 20g & yeah...I could save some grams but again...I wasn't lookin for uber light on this rig.

The way I approached my 2.2p rig was this...I was going to build it with no target weight in mind. That didn't mean I wasn't going to take advantage of certain materials & parts to get her lightened up but I decided that if I end up with a 3.5lb car or a 5.5lb car...I wasn't gonna worry about it as long as she worked & she's workin killer right now @ 4lbs 3oz.

So I approached this build the same way. Im COMPLETELY tired of having to work on my rig the day before a comp because something broke, bent, cracked, stripped, fried or died so my MAIN objective was to have a RELIABLE RIG. Thats why I went with the C.I. outputs & Maxx shafts & yes...20 gauge wire running my motors. I know that 18g or even 16g will work but I feel much more comfy with a mid gauge wire running my power plant.

Make sense? Sure...I could shave a handful of ounces here & there but Im happy with her so far. If she doesn't work as well as I'd hoped at the end of the day...I might start shaving weight.

Easy man. Kids only 14 years old. I doubt he's seen ANY "trannys" which AINT a bad thing.

J.D.

20 gauge is small... You sure it's not 12 or 14?

Yeah I don't have a set weight either... best not to work for ohhh I've got the lightest XR! Get it out... Damnit doesn't drive very well... Want to get it so it's running the best it can for you and not be worried about weight issues

LOL.... I'm 15 almost 16
Old 04-21-2013, 01:07 AM   #107
Its a HARDKNOCKZ Life...

Ah man...called out by an ankle biter. How embaraskin Olive.

Its been an INCREDIBLY long day man. I got that dam Dept of Justice Malware BULLSH!# on my computer this morning, STILL fighting off a 2 month old ear infection & it looks like the wife smoked the motor in her 1:1 so Im sitting here 2 hours from home waiting for the tow truck that was supposed to be here an hour ago. Ah man...whatta way to spend a Saturday night!

Anyways dude...yeah...its actually 16g wire if I rmbr correct. MAYBE 14g but doubtful. I'll check it in the morn.

Nice catch junior

J.D.

Last edited by HARDKNOCKZ; 04-21-2013 at 01:16 AM.
Old 04-21-2013, 03:01 AM   #108
TSK
Shelf queen

Eve likes your pretty tranny JD. See what mind of negative influence you are having on the kid?

And JD doesn't need a super light truck. Britha straight does work with any truck. He was gonna run a Nikko at WCS but Del Monte said it would be unfair.

Ok. Most of that was a lie, but JD does work... On pretty tranny's...

Last edited by TSK; 04-21-2013 at 03:04 AM.
TSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 05:35 AM   #109
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
How embaraskin Olive.
Huck, uk uk uk!
Old 04-21-2013, 10:43 AM   #110
Its a HARDKNOCKZ Life...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyH View Post
Huck, uk uk uk!
I knew that you being an old man & all would catch that one. Good job gramps
Old 04-21-2013, 11:24 AM   #111
E.Y. Designs

Quote:
Anyways dude...yeah...its actually 16g wire if I rmbr correct. MAYBE 14g but doubtful. I'll check it in the morn.

Nice catch junior

J.D.
Ahh ok... Guess 12g would be waay to big but still looks a little big for 16g.... IDK though

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSCorpionKing View Post
Eve likes your pretty tranny JD. See what mind of negative influence you are having on the kid?

And JD doesn't need a super light truck. Britha straight does work with any truck. He was gonna run a Nikko at WCS but Del Monte said it would be unfair.

Ok. Most of that was a lie, but JD does work... On pretty tranny's...
You and your messed up mind You guys are on an RC crawler Forum... You should know what I mean when I say tranny

LOL... I didn't say he needed a super light truck... Just saying don't need unnecessary weight up high like that
Old 04-21-2013, 05:49 PM   #112
Its a HARDKNOCKZ Life...

Whelp...I got the rig out today since I KNEW the next few days were gonna SUCK. Wife DID blow the engine in her car. Its actually only a couple years old but she has 175k on the odometer. I dunno...Ive never owned a foreign car in my life but always heard those Japanese rides go for 300k or better. Apparently she got the one that DIDN'T. She's gettin an American car whether she likes it or not

USA! USA! USA!

Ahhhhh....anyhoo. Rig works. Rig work well. Rig works VERY WELL. I literally had her pullin lines that my pro rig pulls but doesn't WALK up. She even pulled a line that has sat down all other pro rigs that have tried.

I shot some video...FINALLY...with the GoPro HeroIII Black that I got for Christmas. GoPro has a pretty cool app that sets up a WiFi connection between your phone & camera allowing you to fully control the camera & preview or replay your shots...which is a good thing because the fish eyed effect had me misjudging my shots.

I TRIED to throw something together real quick as a teaser but my stupid editing software doesn't recognize the format that the camera saves the video in. So I need to convert it all over before I can edit.

I haven't seen any actual footage yet but I'm excited for this one. If the shots look half as cool on film as they did in person...should be a sick lil flick fo real.

So check back for the El Nino III video comin SOON!

J.D.
Old 04-21-2013, 06:05 PM   #113
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
...Ive never owned a foreign car in my life but always heard those Japanese rides go for 300k or better.
Should be. My FreeRunner has almost 260K on the ticker and has had no major work.....an alternator and a valve cover gasket replacement and that's about it. What happened?
Old 04-21-2013, 10:21 PM   #114
Gold Star Baby!

Looking forward to seeing the footage of the rig........
CRAWLER-DAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 11:10 PM   #115
Its a HARDKNOCKZ Life...

Quote:
Should be. My FreeRunner has almost 260K on the ticker and has had no major work.....an alternator and a valve cover gasket replacement and that's about it. What happened?
I haven't dug into it yet but Im GUESSING she seized a ring or something because she texted me to say that the car had a weird "rattle" & was losing power. During my reply to tell her to pull over the car up & quit. She got it started again & drove it another 2 miles downhill to a gas station & NO OIL.

Oil was changed 2 weeks ago & I checked it 3 days before all of this happened. She swears she had no puddles or white smoke.

So I made the 2hr drive out there & asked her to start it after filling it with oil & that rattle was a straight up knock. I asked her "is that the rattle?" "Yeah." So...she'll start but will only idle ROUGH & knockin before dying out again.

Like I said...I've never owned any foreign cars before but if that were a Chevy small block...I'd say it's donesky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRAWLER-DAD View Post
Looking forward to seeing the footage of the rig........
Right on my big ass brutha from anutha. Did ya get yer swag ordered up?

Forgot to mention...during the shakedown today I spun the Maxx shafts on BOTH the front & rear pinions (at different times mind you)

Unfortunately I have the old school O/UD gears WITHOUT the holes for the threaded pins so I had some fatass grubs on 1 side of each yoke & button heads on the other. The button heads were engaging the flat spot in the pinion shaft so I was able to spin em so that the grub got into said flat spots. Worked OK but anytime she was bound hard, Id get some shaft spin.

SO...Ordered the new school gears so I can stick with the reliability theme here.

Anyhoo...STILL converting files but hoping to get some work done on it tomorrow.

J.D.
Old 04-22-2013, 07:44 AM   #116
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Oil was changed 2 weeks ago..
There's your problem.....stop changing the oil so often!

Seriously, I haven't changed the oil in my FreeRunner since last August....

Good luck with the repairs.
Old 04-22-2013, 07:47 AM   #117
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I knew that you being an old man & all would catch that one. Good job gramps
I missed this earlier.....
Old 04-22-2013, 09:57 AM   #118
Its a HARDKNOCKZ Life...

Quote:
There's your problem.....stop changing the oil so often!

Seriously, I haven't changed the oil in my FreeRunner since last August....

Good luck with the repairs.
Well goody two shoes for you & yer commy car. Wanna trade for a SLIGHTLY used Nissan Altima? Shes a runner

Quote:
I missed this earlier.....
I yam what I yam & dats all dat I yam...Im Jeremy the plaid wearin man

Whelp...STILL converting & during my wait I ordered up the new gears along with replacement yolks...yokes? Um...thingies so that I can cut fresh threads.

I also gotta ditch the FXR in this rig. Funny how I loved the FXRs before switching over to the BRSLs in my pro rig. Low end control is smoover dan buttah.

So I guess Im NOT done wrenchin but at least these will be improvements & not fixin some fried or broken piece.

J.D.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:47 AM   #119
TSK
Shelf queen

I bet the drain plug and/or oil pan stripped. And probably just lost the plug and all it's oil whilst doing 80 which would show no puddles and initial signs that something was wrong. No matter the case. Situation sucks bas.
TSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:07 PM   #120
Its a HARDKNOCKZ Life...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSCorpionKing View Post
I bet the drain plug and/or oil pan stripped. And probably just lost the plug and all it's oil whilst doing 80 which would show no puddles and initial signs that something was wrong. No matter the case. Situation sucks bas.
Nope. Plugs all good. I think a piston may have wallowed out & she seized it. Whatever. I don't care about that Japanese nightmare anymore...or the wifes Nissan. Ha! Kiddin Travy wavvy woo woo. You know I got love for ya. Besides...yer CHINESE right?

FINALLY got the footage converted over to MP4 so now Im in the editing boof. Hopefully I'll have something up tonight but might be tmrw AM.

***HARDKNOCKZ El Nino III*** - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
HARDKNOCKZ Switch III HARDKNOCKZ Videos! 9 12-21-2012 07:38 AM
el nino 2 darkfly Tamiya TLT Crawlers 12 01-14-2010 04:37 AM
el nino 2 build! revoracer99 EnRoute Berg 12 12-24-2009 08:07 PM