Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: ***HARDKNOCKZ El Nino III***

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2012, 09:15 PM   #1
Its a HARDKNOCKZ Life...

Default ***HARDKNOCKZ El Nino III***

Whelp...I've been gatherin a few parts here & there to FINALLY start my sporty build...

I'm still in the air as far as which chassis I'll be running but my mudder fuggin homie Nabil is hookin me up with a GC3A setup with links, shocks etc so I'll probably be starting there.

I DEFINITELY dig the Ringer & along with the swag mentioned...Nabil's sending me his Nat's winning sportsman rig to fondle & borrow should I fall behind on my build. Yup...I may just fall like 5 YEARS behind That Nabil is one swell fellar...lemme tell ya

So here's a few parts showing where I am so far...

Since I was fortunate enough to be asked to join the Vanquish Products team...This rig will have more than just a few of their KILLER parts.

Of course on that list are the new VVD's. Since I'm gonna be switching the front end up with the XR mod...I went with the XR VVD's. Duuuh.

I also grabbed some of the new AX Lockers. I just can't say enough about the quality that leaves the VP building. VERY high end machining & WAY more than what you'd expect for some toy cars.

I'm going to run the VP 4 link mounts front & rear along with XR C-hubs & Wraith knuckles.

Of course since I'm running the XR mod...I'll be running the delrin tubes from my brutha from anutha...Chris & Creation Fab. Splined wide up front & smooth wide out back. Again...very clean machine work & shipping was muay pronto.

I scored some axles, gears & a trans from Trav TSK. Them thar are OD & UD gears. Super neato indeedy. Trans was stuffed with all metal gears but I decided to save some weight & replace em with the stock plastic pieces. I did throw in some hardened outputs tho.

Motor plate is a beautiful piece of BWD machining.

Shafts are just stock XR's & the drive shafts are the Wraith WB8 pieces. I also have MIP's & stock LCC shafts & will make the final decision on which to run later but I'm leaning towards the WB8's.

I also have a few more pieces from BWD like the front & rear 4-link mounts just so I have some options.

The motor? Well...I have a couple of choices. I have a Brood Apocolypse HHK Type S in 19t & another 30t arm, a couple of Holmes TorqueMaster Pro's in 35 & 40t & a Holmes CrawlMaster Pro in 16t.

ESC will be one of the few MMP's, FXR's or an extra BR-XL I have layin around. I'm leaning towards the MMP but the BR-XL MIGHT find itself decased & wedged in there somewhere.

Servo will be a Hitec 7950 with a CC BEC set at 7.4v

Wheels....Hmmmmmm....I have some SLW's on their way to Vanquish for the UltraSLW treatment but also have these sexy boogers from Don at BWD...

They'll be a tad heavier than the USLW's at 2.00oz each but they're SOOOO cool.

Tires will most likely be some shaved & trimmed Boss Claws depending how I like em on a sporty. I have so many sets of Boss Claws stock piled I gotta start putting em to use soon. I also have a few sets of shaved & heavily worn Sedona's or Rov's just in case. Foams will be whatever I decide works best. I have a HUGE tote full of Eddies product over at Crawler Innovations including a few sets of his old school Double Deuces which I still like better than the new closed cells. Buuuut...I may bite the bullet & try the closed cells again. We shall see.

I have a knuckle weight system coming from Tomi & Nordic Crawler Designs & am pretty excited about em. I was going to modify a set of VP XR knuck weights to work with the Wraith knuckles but seeing as Tomi's are a direct fit & so versatile...I felt like it would be money well spent.

Lid will be one of the many I have hangin around the shop like the oh so popular Xciter or maybe a Proline Crowd Pleaser...I have some Losi Grapplers that I like & a PILE of Axial Hardline lids. I just need to find a painter.

Soooo...I'm just waiting for my care package from The Champion of Everything to show in the next day or so & from there...I'll decide on the chassis.

Again...I have the GC3A which is NO JOKE for sure but am curious as to how the Ringer's going to work. I know he's had some personal issues over in the Evil Designs camp so shipping is SLOOOOOW but I'm OK waiting if it's as good as I've heard.

TSK & I have also kicked around cutting our own chassis but time will tell on that one. Kinda bummed my chassis sponsor isn't working on a sportsman chassis but maybe that'll change.

Keep yer eyeballs peeled cuz updates will be random at best. We have our WCRCC Season Opener Oct. 6th & The Dlux Best of the West comp in Wendover Oct 27th so I got some fast-n-furryass work to do.

As always...HUGE thanks to my sponsors
CHAOTIC CRAWLERS
VANQUISH PRODUCTS
RCP CRAWLERS
OFFROADJERKY.COM
& my newest sponsor...Team Champion of Everything Thanks Jamali.

Last edited by HARDKNOCKZ; 03-20-2013 at 11:28 PM.
HARDKNOCKZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-25-2012, 09:34 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default re: ***HARDKNOCKZ El Nino III***

Sooooo glad you are doing this build! You got a nice pile of parts there to work with. I'll be keeping an eye on this thread!
difflocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 09:47 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Get building homie, I don't want to rent a cargo van so you can build on the way to Wendover. I'm sure you've ran one before but the GC is suuuch a simple, and extremely functional design it's ridiculous. G'luck with the build Brudda, you gotta nice pile of parts rollin in
boosted4lyf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 09:57 PM   #4
Try to Bend it

its about time
Highlucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 09:57 PM   #5
Its a HARDKNOCKZ Life...

Quote:
Originally Posted by difflocker View Post
Sooooo glad you are doing this build! You got a nice pile of parts there to work with. I'll be keeping an eye on this thread!
Thanks Aaron. I'm lookin forward to this build myself.

I think I saw that you were workin on a sporty over on the WCRCC site, no? I'm hopin the club has a good showing of 2.2s rigs. It's gonna be a fun class.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boosted4lyf View Post
Get building homie, I don't want to rent a cargo van so you can build on the way to Wendover. I'm sure you've ran one before but the GC is suuuch a simple, and extremely functional design it's ridiculous. G'luck with the build Brudda, you gotta nice pile of parts rollin in
Well...Good news is, I have Nabil's for wendover too should I need it but I SHOULD be good by then. & noooo...you can't drive it

It's been a loooong time since running a GC chassis but if memory serves...it was good to go with the "suggested" positions. In fact...i think JeremyH is running HIS off of the box directions & he's doing VERY well in the class. Either way...I should have some time to play with her before throwing her on the start gate.

J.D.
Old 09-25-2012, 09:59 PM   #6
Its a HARDKNOCKZ Life...

Quote:
Originally Posted by highlucks View Post
its about time
Yup...you'll get no arguments outta me brutha.
Old 09-25-2012, 10:30 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

I have my pile of parts growing as we speak. It looks very similar to yours. I think 2.2s is going to be fun this year!
difflocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 11:09 PM   #8
D-Wray 4 Prez!

I hate you.

J/K
If you have any spare parts just laying around....
Frankenwheely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 11:13 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

DAMN................. I'm jealous JD..... You're gonna have a bad ass 2.2s rig buddy...... I'll try to keep up with my POS 2.2s........ Dog bones and all.

Last edited by tapped-out; 09-25-2012 at 11:15 PM.
tapped-out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 12:14 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

Man, thats a nice stash of parts!!!!!
douwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 01:04 AM   #11
TSK
Shelf queen

You don't need a chassis. Go future and run chassis-less.

I text you a pic of what I plan on sending you, but it's probably past your bedtime gramps.
TSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 06:42 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

A sporty build with little time to practice?!?! That'll never turn out well.

Oh wait......it might just get you the national championship!

Get to building!
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 07:44 AM   #13
Its a HARDKNOCKZ Life...

Quote:
Originally Posted by difflocker View Post
I have my pile of parts growing as we speak. It looks very similar to yours. I think 2.2s is going to be fun this year!
Yes indeedy...feed the needy See ya on the rocks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankenwheely View Post
I hate you.

J/K
If you have any spare parts just laying around....
Maybeeee....if YOU have any spare videos just layin around....

Quote:
Originally Posted by tapped-out View Post
DAMN................. I'm jealous JD..... You're gonna have a bad ass 2.2s rig buddy...... I'll try to keep up with my POS 2.2s........ Dog bones and all.
Aaah Matt...I think you've proven that she aint gotta be purty to work well. Until that sweet new lid found it's way onto yer Berg...it looked like the Sanford & Sons pickup made sweet love to Chitty Chitty Bang Bang & the love child was your Chitty Berg ...& ya done well with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by douwe View Post
Man, thats a nice stash of parts!!!!!
Thanks. Now this nice stash of parts just need a nice stash of chassis. hint hint

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSCorpionKing View Post
You don't need a chassis. Go future and run chassis-less.

I text you a pic of what I plan on sending you, but it's probably past your bedtime gramps.
Yup. As soon as I get home from the Denny's Senior supper at around 5pm...its a quick soak for the dentures, a bowl of prunes, ONE episode of Murder She Wrote (that Angela Lansbury's quite a looker) & it's off to bed for me ya whippersnapper

Eh...I tried chassis-less but the torque twist was B-A-N-A-N-A-S

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyH View Post
A sporty build with little time to practice?!?! That'll never turn out well.

Oh wait......it might just get you the national championship!

Get to building!
Yeah...unless Nabil sent me a box stuffed with his skills...I don't see that happening but I'm gonna give her hell anyhow.
Old 09-26-2012, 10:37 AM   #14
RCC Addict

Nice JD
I will be following this build closly since you pointed me in the right dirction the first time.
Yeah was hoping as well that Chaotic would make a sporty chassis but we can still hope they do
I'm just collecting parts as well goin to run the ringer chassis as long as it avaible and if chaotic doesn't make a sporty chassis

Parts so far
Ringer chassis hopefully- but would rather a chaotic
wraith diffs
fxr
35t motor
7954 servo
4" big bores
and thats where i'm at right now should be a fun build.

Last edited by chevotafun; 09-27-2012 at 08:24 AM.
chevotafun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 10:47 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Gay
Chris_The_Battery_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 11:04 AM   #16
Its a HARDKNOCKZ Life...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevotafun View Post
Nice JD
I will be following this build closly since you pointed me in the right dirction the first time.
Yeah was hoping as well that Chaotic would make a sporty chassis but we can still hope they do
I'm just collecting parts as well goin to run the ringer chassis as long as it avaible

Parts so far
Ringer chassis hopefully
wraith diffs
fxr
35t motor
7954 servo
4" big bores
and thats where i'm at right now should be a fun build.
Right on. This is gonna be a fun class fo sho.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_The_Battery_Man View Post
Gay
Yes you are. Funny you chose MY thread to come outta the closet.

Looks like I gotta hater. He's running around sniping my threads with 1 star ratings. Likely someone who doesn't have a thread of their own.

Do your thang hater. I don't need stars to make me feel better about my builds. I'm only trying to pass on the info that I gather along the way & share my experiences. If ya don't dig em OR me...don't even open my threads & you wont be subjected to my 1 star drivel. Okee dokee?
Old 09-26-2012, 11:14 AM   #17
I wanna be Dave

I like the VP front link mount. Got it on my GC3 sporty. Drilled some new hole to be able to use the GC3 kit length links and moved the servo a bit forward. It all made a nice little package with all the elects on the front axle.

Swell parts list you gots going on. And Nabil for a coach

TEDROCKZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 11:27 AM   #18
no talent hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEDROCKZ View Post

how many of those frsky recievers do you have? how many work? everyone single one I bought wont bind to my 4pk wether in c1 or c2 modes. /hijack
Nabil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 11:33 AM   #19
I wanna be Dave

That's is number 4. Never had a problem other than a bind button breaking off of one. I just have to cross the solder posts to bind it. I have heard of problems with them but I have not had any issues thus far. All of mine have bound easily.
I have two still in the package(#s 5 and 6) I'll take them out and try them. They were ordered far enough from the others that they be from another batch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabil View Post
how many of those frsky recievers do you have? how many work? everyone single one I bought wont bind to my 4pk wether in c1 or c2 modes. /hijack
TEDROCKZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 11:35 AM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by HARDKNOCKZ View Post
Right on. This is gonna be a fun class fo sho.

Yes you are. Funny you chose MY thread to come outta the closet.

Looks like I gotta hater. He's running around sniping my threads with 1 star ratings. Likely someone who doesn't have a thread of their own.

Do your thang hater. I don't need stars to make me feel better about my builds. I'm only trying to pass on the info that I gather along the way & share my experiences. If ya don't dig em OR me...don't even open my threads & you wont be subjected to my 1 star drivel. Okee dokee?

Calm down sparky. Im just flippin ya sheet

Why would I call someones truck gay if it's running my parts? That automatically makes it a boss

Now get to buildin pumpkin or we cant be friends
Chris_The_Battery_Man is offline   Reply With Quote

***HARDKNOCKZ El Nino III*** - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
HARDKNOCKZ Switch III HARDKNOCKZ Videos! 9 12-21-2012 07:38 AM
el nino 2 darkfly Tamiya TLT Crawlers 12 01-14-2010 04:37 AM
el nino 2 build! revoracer99 EnRoute Berg 12 12-24-2009 08:07 PM