Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: CW Speedy Sporty build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2013, 02:39 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default CW Speedy Sporty build

Well its time I do a speedy sporty build thread

Till I can get photos worked out leme cut to the details.

Front axle thanks to TSK:
Chris axle tubes with stock XR chubs and knuckles.
XR uni's
Axial OD gears
Brass expanding inserts (these are nice!)
Sintered lockers

Transmission thanks to me:
custom 7075 motor plate to replace the hacked up junky 6061 it has now we all know 7075 makes everything better
Not sure on motor yet

Rear axle thanks to me:
Brass inserts
Rear plastic lockouts
axial straight shafts
UD gears
Sintered lockers

Chassis thanks to TSK. It is the one he ran at the Shootout so i hope it does me good
Revo shocks
Delrin lower links
VP SLW .7's thanks to TCS donating them to the shootout
Rovers

Photos soon to come once I figure out the new Google Picasa
Crawling Calvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-31-2013, 03:42 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: CW Speedy Sporty build

Pics or it didn't happen.....

Rob
Krawler Konceptz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 04:05 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krawler Konceptz View Post
Pics or it didn't happen.....

Rob
Fine fine

Jokes aside im still figuring the new picasa web albums online widget out. Its NOT user friendly to link to pics
Old 03-31-2013, 04:59 PM   #4
TSK
Shelf queen

Damn that's a good looking chassis!
TSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 07:29 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

looks like a killer start
slowride1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 03:21 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Thanks guys, it is a pretty dang sweet chassis.

Ok I made progress today I found my 7980 servo

Jokes aside i did strap some Revo shocks to the rig. They are the hard ano ones so they should hold up NICE! Now onto the obvious pics!

I may have to do a rod end cap mod because of a lack of clearance. Oh well nothing to hard

The chassis has more of a 65/35 setup but well see what I can do. I always liked how an custom 60/40 chassis crawled that I had made up years ago
Old 04-01-2013, 04:39 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Nice start. I like what i see
63comet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 07:26 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Looking good man!!! I like how the shock and link holes are angled. I have a similar idea I have been throwing around in my head. Maybe I'll get some time to get it drawn and cut out.
dstrbd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 08:50 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstrbd1 View Post
Looking good man!!! I like how the shock and link holes are angled. I have a similar idea I have been throwing around in my head. Maybe I'll get some time to get it drawn and cut out.
I have a nearly extinct Underground Crawlers FF-4 chassis which has the same idea. I like it for its simplicity and ease of use as well as the fact that you can change the angles of stuff and not affect the ride height. That is handy

Lil more progress:
Put together the rear axle with UD gears, plastic lockouts and a Underground Crawlers D-link. I love that lil hunk of 5052 aluminum

Determined I will need to do some kind of modification with a good old dremel to the stock Revo caps or do a rod end mod on them to get the desired results. Oh well that will add a little more length to the shocks which wouldn't be a bad thing overall. Its just im racing the clock so any delays is a big problem
Old 04-01-2013, 09:26 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Haven't seen anyone using Revo shocks in a while. What are you planning on doing for springs? I've got a set of Revos that I've tried to use on a few occasions but even the softest spring options still seemed too stiff.
RivBlueNoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 10:08 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawling Calvin View Post
I have a nearly extinct Underground Crawlers FF-4 chassis which has the same idea. I like it for its simplicity and ease of use as well as the fact that you can change the angles of stuff and not affect the ride height. That is handy
Funny that's also where I got my inspiration. Juan had a good idea with that feature. I loved my UGC chassis.
dstrbd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 10:46 PM   #12
TSK
Shelf queen

Yeah the "arc'd" link and shock positions are something I figured would help minimize the ride height, pinion angle & caster changes while making suspension changes.

That said, the chassis worked fine at the Shootout, but I didn't have the droop setup quite right. Main reason why I ditched it is so I can gain some experience with tuning with the huge input the Chaotic crew can provide me. I have a basic understanding of what will do what, but I just never spent the time to tune anything.

As far as the Revo shocks. First thing to do is drill the piston holes larger to open up the vavling. Those shocks are valved immensely slow since they are designed for use on a heavy truck with pushrod suspension. The cantilever/rocker arms on those trucks have like a 3:1 leverage ratio on the shocks.

For springs, I think you could use shortened Losi comp shock springs in a Mini T fashion. Otherwise I would probably try replacing the bladder with an prong at the base of the cap threads and run a Mini T internally. I don't see cap modding them very easy as the cap is pretty tapered throughout. I think I would try running them spaced out from the chassis (more vertical fronm the front view) to gain the kearance as the chassis is only like 55mm wide.

All that said, I think I would still try running that chassis again in droop. Just need really soft internal springs. I was running medium TCS droop spellings at the Shootout and they were just a bit too stiff. I had super soft TCS droop springs somewhere but could't find them.
Old 04-01-2013, 10:52 PM   #13
TSK
Shelf queen

I never posted body off pics of this chassis in my Masami Special thread, but I'll post them here.

This was with EGRESSor shocks. I didn't like the way it felt and I did have time to tune them so I went to droop.

In this pic you can see that the chassis is fairly narrow. It's on wraith axlesnin these pics, which mount the links and shocks just outside of the AX axle tabs. So if Cal was to run the shocks outboard of the link tabs he could easily spa e the shock off the chassis and still keep a decent shock angle.

Old 04-02-2013, 12:05 AM   #14
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RivBlueNoma View Post
Haven't seen anyone using Revo shocks in a while. What are you planning on doing for springs? I've got a set of Revos that I've tried to use on a few occasions but even the softest spring options still seemed too stiff.
The actual revo springs are way to stiff like you realized. To work i am using some soft short black springs from a Kyosho rc car. I think you could maybe find drift or touring car springs as well that would fit the car.

That said tonight its time to hobble out to the belt sander and work a lil magic... oh well nothing like precision sanding engineering
Old 04-02-2013, 03:29 AM   #15
Its a HARDKNOCKZ Life...

The SP is a super cool chassis & I'm bummed I didn't get it together before handing her down to the bearded builder.

Chassis has a TON of potential but honestly Cal...not sure Revo shocks would be the way I'd go. I planned on running Big Bores limited down with internal springs for that semi setup.

I love the base & low slung design of the SP & hope you & Steve get some tune time with it. If I wasn't a loyal Chaotic driver...I'd DEFINITELY be running THE 5D SUCKER PUNCH!

J.D.
HARDKNOCKZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 08:48 PM   #16
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by HARDKNOCKZ View Post
The SP is a super cool chassis & I'm bummed I didn't get it together before handing her down to the bearded builder.

Chassis has a TON of potential but honestly Cal...not sure Revo shocks would be the way I'd go. I planned on running Big Bores limited down with internal springs for that semi setup.

I love the base & low slung design of the SP & hope you & Steve get some tune time with it. If I wasn't a loyal Chaotic driver...I'd DEFINITELY be running THE 5D SUCKER PUNCH!

J.D.
Ill see how the revo's work. I got some other shocks coming from another member but I won't get them till the day before the comp. Oh well always one to go out on a limb like my super light G10 wheels and torsion chassis for shootout

After some late night texting with Travis I decided to space the revo shocks out vs doing any late night "precision" sanding. That said tomorrow if I am lucky ill get some lower links made for this guy
Old 04-02-2013, 08:56 PM   #17
Its a HARDKNOCKZ Life...

Quote:
Ill see how the revo's work. I got some other shocks coming from another member but I won't get them till the day before the comp. Oh well always one to go out on a limb like my super light G10 wheels and torsion chassis for shootout

After some late night texting with Travis I decided to space the revo shocks out vs doing any late night "precision" sanding. That said tomorrow if I am lucky ill get some lower links made for this guy
Thats PLENTY of time. Build em Friday & get to the comp site early Saturday & start tuning.

J.D.
Old 04-02-2013, 09:00 PM   #18
RCC Addict

Quote:
Thats PLENTY of time. Build em Friday & get to the comp site early Saturday & start tuning.

J.D.
Don't remind me of the BBQ when Nabil is sitting on the cooler with one hand inside and the other one opening shots telling me he would have a super done in the morning. I didn't believe him till I saw it going.

That said I want to have a LITTLE more than 30 seconds drive time before I get to the competition. Speaking of will you be there?
Old 04-02-2013, 11:48 PM   #19
Its a HARDKNOCKZ Life...

Quote:
Don't remind me of the BBQ when Nabil is sitting on the cooler with one hand inside and the other one opening shots telling me he would have a super done in the morning. I didn't believe him till I saw it going.

That said I want to have a LITTLE more than 30 seconds drive time before I get to the competition. Speaking of will you be there?
Yup. I'll be there. I'll most likely be finishing up some stuff on the 2.2p AND the 2.2s rigs Sat morning but thats nothin new.
Old 04-02-2013, 11:50 PM   #20
RCC Addict

Quote:
Yup. I'll be there. I'll most likely be finishing up some stuff on the 2.2p AND the 2.2s rigs Sat morning but thats nothin new.
I hear you man... ill prob have a friend be riding shotgun so she can get some driving time while I wrench on my rigs

CW Speedy Sporty build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
WaCkAdOoDlE Sporty build Chris_The_Battery_Man Axial AX-10 Scorpion 55 02-19-2015 11:46 PM
Comp Sporty Build redneckrampage Axial AX-10 Scorpion 5 06-04-2013 02:00 PM
PhantomRS10's '13 Sporty build PhantomRS10 Axial AX-10 Scorpion 12 03-20-2013 12:59 PM
1st build - Sporty AWDPete Axial AX-10 Scorpion 28 10-02-2012 04:45 PM