Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: My sudu one sportsman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2013, 01:05 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default My sudu one sportsman

It started life as an old gatekeeper chassis but I had wanted to update the chassis to carbon fiber so I had spent a lot of time looking at the sudu one and really liked it but couldn't afford it at the time. I posted in the wanted section looking for a carbon fiber chassis and Drail pmed me and said he had a new unused sudu one chassis and links so I jumped on it. I had all ready purchased the front and rear lower link plates and had been using them on my sportsman all ready. So when I got the chassis I put it together and decided I wanted to get the v2 side braces and co e to find out I had the v1 chassis and braces so I ended up purchasing the v2 side braces and chassis along with the front link plate that let's you put the servo under the plate and closer to the axle and the new skid plate. Tomy is a great guy to work with. I know have everything set up to my likings except the steering needs some adjusting. It has wide beef tubes front and rear it has xr mod on front and rear also. I shaved down the xr unis for more steering. Grip fab v1 aluminum spools front and back. Vp Wraith knuckles. The electronics are a micro sidewinder with bec hooked up to a RX bypass with a hitec 7954sh. The motor is a team brood Spector 35t. Tires are dluxfab carbon fiber bead locks sedonas in front rovers in the back all 4 are shaved and vented. It has 3.5 big bore shocks shaved and cap mod done.

If you have any suggestions feel free to give them thanks for looking

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk
laxjj14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-28-2013, 03:59 PM   #2
Fifth dimension

Default Re: My sudu one sportsman

Good looking rig. I like the sudu so much that I bought one in the middle of my first sporty build after comiting to the ringer. Guess I build 2;). X2 on doing business with Tomi! Great guy.
Crawllife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 05:41 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Nice to see your build and hear you enjoy your truck.

One big improvement would be to figure out a BTA steering setup. Based on your pics it looks as if your tie rod may be in the way occasionally, even though it sits high. The drag link and servo horn certainly are vulnerable?

I have seen people do BTA's with the servoplate you use. It may be a little challening to find needed space with the servo under the plate. If you mount the servo on top of the plate, there should easily be enough room for a BTA tie rod. The drag link can be left in front of the axle and made short like on the XR10.

Tomi

Last edited by Tomy; 10-28-2013 at 05:46 PM.
Tomy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 08:35 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawllife View Post
Good looking rig. I like the sudu so much that I bought one in the middle of my first sporty build after comiting to the ringer. Guess I build 2;). X2 on doing business with Tomi! Great guy.
Thanks I really like it too its working really well I got rid of my pro rig and now I think this rig crawls as well as the pro did

Old 10-28-2013, 08:42 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomy View Post
Nice to see your build and hear you enjoy your truck.

One big improvement would be to figure out a BTA steering setup. Based on your pics it looks as if your tie rod may be in the way occasionally, even though it sits high. The drag link and servo horn certainly are vulnerable?

I have seen people do BTA's with the servoplate you use. It may be a little challening to find needed space with the servo under the plate. If you mount the servo on top of the plate, there should easily be enough room for a BTA tie rod. The drag link can be left in front of the axle and made short like on the XR10.

Tomi
Thanks tomi I know I need to work on the steering linkage that's the first thing on my list of things to do. I'm also thinking about getting some knuckle weights also. Hope fully ill have some time in the next couple of day to try the bta steering setup.

Old 12-03-2013, 10:27 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Well I got the steering in closer to the axle and I got rid of my hitec 7954 and replaced it with a brand new hitec 7950 I also bought a programmer with it adjusted the throw to 180 degrees instead of 90 degrees. I also took the front axle apart and took some pics

Last edited by laxjj14; 12-03-2013 at 10:30 AM.
Old 12-04-2013, 04:27 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

I sent out my team brood 35t specter motors a couple weeks ago to get serviced and got them back last week going to install one back onto the rig and keep the other as a back up. I'm waiting on some shift hubs and going to try out some de modified wheels that I'm going to put some narrowed silver voodoos on that I'm on a waiting list for. I'm also waiting to hear from tomi as to when his new tranny is for sale and I may be purchasing that and the Sudu FL.
Old 12-09-2013, 08:55 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

So I decide to try my luck with making carbon fiber upper links so I ordered some carbon rod 4mm x .75 walls so I made a jig and started cutting and fitting the carbon rod in the rod ends I drilled out and I got them to where I wanted them and expoxied one side and I will do the other side tomorrow night. I orderd some de racing 2.2 wheels to do the mod on and of course I was sent the wrong wheels so have to wait to hear back from power hobby since I bought them off ebay it may be a while.
Attached Images

Old 12-10-2013, 03:30 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Here is a pic of my upper link weight before I made them out of carbon fiber rod

I will get the weight of the new ones once they dry tonight or tomorrow.

Old 12-10-2013, 04:24 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

I need to get off my butt and get some carbon rod so I can try my hand at some uppers. Be sure to drill and pin yours though, just to be on the safe side.
Wicked Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 06:25 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

My homemade carbon links epoxied and pinned

Weight of my new links

A total loss of 22 grams I won't be able to the new links for a while since it has snowed the past couple days and it is winter so it will be a couple months probably.

Old 02-19-2014, 04:39 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Default My sudu one sportsman

So I have made quite a few changes to my rig this winter i got some modded de racing wheels and rings from calderwood design and fab and a couple sets that I modded my self. I also got the ncd trans and a couple sets of rc4wd hd replacement gear set so I could drill them to lighten them up a bit. I got a set of rock grabbers to try out I have to get some foams from crawler innovations for them. I also got some shift hubs to test out instead of slw hubsI can't wait till all the snow we got is gone so I can test everything out but that will be a while since in the past 10 days we got about 2 feet and we all ready had a bunch before.

I also have a set of narrowed silver voodoos coming from E.Y designs and have to figure out what foams to order from crawler innovations to go with them.
Old 02-19-2014, 06:06 PM   #13
RCC Addict

I hear you with the snow. In PA we've gotten plenty, and I wonder if we'll ever have dry rock again....

Steering looks much better than before.

Wondering if you took the green spacers out, would the drag link bolt on the bottom of the steering arm, and the tie rod move to the top?

It looks like it in the photo, but hard to tell for sure.

That would drop all your weight down a bit lower.

If not, the servo is still below the tops of the tires, so it should be fine.

Nice progress. Awesome upper links. 22 grams is significant.
MRCrackhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 04:54 AM   #14
Quarry Creeper

I took your advice and removed the green spacers and lowered the front plate and moved up the steering tierod and made a new steering link to the servo and everything clears good I'm pretty sure I could get away with a straight steering tierod now also thank you here is a pic

Old 02-21-2014, 07:00 AM   #15
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by laxjj14 View Post
I took your advice and removed the green spacers and lowered the front plate and moved up the steering tierod and made a new steering link to the servo and everything clears good I'm pretty sure I could get away with a straight steering tierod now also thank you here is a pic
That's freaking awesome. Glad I could help.

That's looking sweet, and the straight tie rod will be super clean (and ultimately stronger).

Lower COG is going to help for sure.

Hope it works out for you.

Looking forward to finished product photos.
MRCrackhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 04:11 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

My new narrowed silver voodoos just need to get some foams I was thinking CI DD comp cut 6inch mediums all around or soft front medium rears and narrowing them some when I get them. Suggestions would very much appreciated thank you

Old 04-13-2014, 08:05 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

I made some knuckle weight holders today that also act as steering stops i made them out of some polycarbonate that I got from work as of now the knuckle weights add 1.2oz to each side. I also painted the body my wife helped out a bit and put the window decals on and picked the colors and design. It was my first time using a fasmask and it is much easier than using tape I thought.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Old 04-15-2014, 10:29 AM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Video of my first comp with this rig and it was my first time driving it.

Jeremy's Runs: http://youtu.be/6KqDKedBlmg

Old 04-15-2014, 01:49 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Is it my eyes, or are your knuckles clocked differently from each other? (RH appears rotated forward more)?

Good work on the build though, keep it up.
Gfresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 02:32 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

Haha thanks your right the knuckles weren't clocked the same

My sudu one sportsman - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SuDu One - 2.2s / Sportsman chassis Tomy Axial AX-10 Scorpion 256 09-08-2015 06:51 AM
Jacks SuDu Jacksprogis Axial AX-10 Scorpion 1 06-08-2013 02:45 PM
Fester's SuDu FesterUK Axial AX-10 Scorpion 21 05-31-2013 09:50 AM
Harvo's SuDu Harvo Axial AX-10 Scorpion 37 05-02-2013 07:22 PM
Obe's sportsman build SuDu style obebaldone1 Axial AX-10 Scorpion 49 04-17-2013 06:15 PM