Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Red's "Avenge Me" AR60 build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2014, 10:16 AM   #1
RCC Addict

Talking Red's "Avenge Me" AR60 build

As most of you know (because I'm still bitter) my crawler was stolen back in December just before Christmas. I have been trying to get the funds together to build a new one and I have finally made some progress.

Chris Martel was kind enough to sell me his old crawler parts for next to nothing to get me going so I figure why not use a few of those parts. There was a chassis (looks like a modified aluminum SP) that looked like a descent starting point so, off to the races.

Chassis: (until further funds allow)
Home built knock off

Trans:
Stock AX10 case and gears
Avid bearings
Locked up RC slipper eliminator
Extended rear output shaft from Crawler Innovations

Front Axle:
AR60 axle with DLux bearing mod
Locked up RC "FI" locker
Axial HD Overdrive gears
AVID bearings
STRC C-Hubs (for now)
Stock Axial AR60 knuckes with DLux "No Slop" bushing (for now)
Axial Universals - modified for additional steering
DLux Servo/link mount
RC Bro knuckle weights and brackets

Rear Axle:
AR60 axle with DLux bearing mod
Locked up RC "FI" locker
Axial HD Underdrive gears
AVID bearings
DLux link mount
Stock AR60 axles with bearing mod
Stock lockouts

Links:
Homebrew aluminum 3/16" (undetermined lenght)

Tires/foams:
VooDoo Blue compound (cant afford to replace silver weekly)
6" foams
D_Lux CF wheels

Motor:
Team Brood "Intensity" 35t machine wound (its for recreations use)

ELECTRONICS
ESC:
Castle Creations micro Sidewinder (smashed)

RADIO:
Spektrum DX2E
Spektrum receiver (De-cased and smashed)

Servo:
Hitec HS-8380TH @ 7.0v (BEC)

BEC:
Castle Creations 010-0004-00 10 amp Battery eliminator circuit set to 7.4v

Other goodies:
Axial aluminum shock housings
losi mini springs
Axial XR-10 body with custom family paint job

Last edited by redsawacs; 03-02-2015 at 01:37 PM.
redsawacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-04-2014, 10:23 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Red's "Avenge Me" AR60 build

Got some gears built but not before running into some issues. Some of the FI spools were shipped with a minor machining error. The face of some of the gears had a larger OD than intended, so the spool would not mate flush to the gear. Simple spin of the spool over an emery board and it sanded enough to mate correctly. In the picture, if you look close, the bottom picture has a shinny ring at the far right - that's the one I had to file - 5 minute fix!!! BAM!

Out with the old bearings and in with the new - great to have an expert help when you get into a bind

Last edited by redsawacs; 03-02-2015 at 06:46 PM.
Old 03-04-2014, 02:28 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Dang I didnt know you rig got stolen. People can be @$$hats. Not counting money some turds don't think about time put into stuff or the attatchment to it. I dont know what I'd do if Bug Nutz got snatched with the work I have done to it. But the new one looks promising.
May the thief have their fingers gnawed off by a spur and pinion gear.
slim_chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 02:38 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Got the Locked Up RC Slipper Eliminator built and installed along with trimming some weight off the spur housing.....this is way too big!

I cut everything off except the spacers

Dropping the pinion gears into the housings....requires little fingers!

A little more Dlux love!

Got the axles set up - decided to reverse the transmission in the chassis so I changed the axles to face the other side

Old 03-18-2014, 02:47 PM   #5
RCC Addict

As mentioned earlier, I managed to pick up some parts from Chris and the chassis looks a lot like another chassis around here...I in NO way designed this chassis and I do not expect it to perform the same. Unfortunately, for now, this is what I have and I mean no disrespect to the "similar designer" by using it. Circumstances dictate this is what I have for now....Yes, I will be running a Sucker Punch in the future, that's 100$ I don't have until I liquidate assets.

You can see in the picture above a little of the chassis. I wanted it wider, so I ditched the skid and mounted the transmission/motor as far left as I could get it.

Then I realized, I needed to mount the links too....So, I cut the front cross member to accommodate. The current set up as pushed the links closer to the center with "hollow balls" against the frame rails as spacers, both front and back. At some point, I will have a skid to stretch from front to back to cover the bottom of the chassis.

I found these in the bottom of my spares box, unbuilt!!! I think they were going on my XR10 build....thats not going to happen. Think I'll sell that thing.

Little progress on the links last night....Mock ups for now. The fronts gave me a pimple on my forehead thinking how to make it work!

The chassis looks crooked in the picture, but it wiggles so it will be straight when I get the links finalized.

I had so much more fun building the last crawler....I feel like I am tossing crap together with this one......

Last edited by redsawacs; 03-18-2014 at 02:52 PM.
Old 03-18-2014, 02:53 PM   #6

Nice build so far. Sorry about your rig getting stolen, with as much work that gets put into these things I can't imagine having mine stolen. Great seeing kids involved in the hobby though.

Last edited by Derek B.; 03-18-2014 at 02:55 PM.
Derek B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 03:00 PM   #7
RCC Addict

I tell ya, if it weren't for him wanting to help me build it "Daddy, lets get started"....I would have no motivation to rebuild
Old 03-18-2014, 03:17 PM   #8
TSK
Shelf queen

Looks good so far

I like how you got the trans fitted. Is just the coping of the cross member that the trans bolts to to prevent it from rocking under load or will you be adding another brace somewhere?

And no worries. I saw Crhis build it originally and use my design as inspiration. it's all good
TSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 03:23 PM   #9

Glad he did, you do good work. I know rc has made good memories for me and my son, looks like it's doing the same for you. Keep it up!

Last edited by Derek B.; 03-18-2014 at 03:28 PM.
Derek B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 04:00 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSCorpionKing View Post
Looks good so far

I like how you got the trans fitted. Is just the coping of the cross member that the trans bolts to to prevent it from rocking under load or will you be adding another brace somewhere?

And no worries. I saw Crhis build it originally and use my design as inspiration. it's all good
Thanks TSK, I will get your chassis at some point (its the only affordable option for me currently on the market)....I just hope I'm not too late when I decide to pull the trigger.

I want to add another brace to is but it is sitting pretty tight where it is. I know if I am too rough on it, the torque may strip the screws from the transmission. Yes, it is sitting on the edge of the chassis right now, maybe an upper brace or extend the motor mount to be a frame to frame chassis brace/motor trans brace - still thinking about that one.
Old 03-18-2014, 04:58 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

This is an awesome build. It's great to see when little kids are involved in builds. My kids have done several builds with me, and they love to work on there rigs too. Keep up the awesome work. ;)
CodesEmpire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 08:23 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Time to make the upper links.....

Old 03-19-2014, 06:17 AM   #13
Rock Crawler

The rig is coming along quite well Red. It is good to see that chassis being used even if it's temporary. I like what you are doing with trans mount, I made the skid a bit to narrow.

Sent from my C811 4G using Tapatalk
chris.martell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 07:37 AM   #14
RCC Addict

I watched that chassis climb an obstacle that shut down four consecutive pro rigs.

Just saying.....
MRCrackhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 08:25 AM   #15
RCC Addict

The "Monkey" and I managed to get her all connected "temporarily" last night. Needs a few tweaks in the lowers before I cut the final versions but I'm pleased with what I'm looking at so far. Not 100% sure if I will need to bend the uppers for articulation clearance but I did notice the front uppers will hit the servo if I have to lower the chassis mounted link. May just make that bend now so I don't have to bother with it later....debating. One other thing, the chassis rocks to one side not the other while sitting in the jig....I think the lowers are a tad off, somewhere.

Link Length (for my future reference)
Front lower 91mm E2E
Rear lower 129mm E2E

I'm diggin the pinion angle! Worked out great!

***Notice the safety plugs in the electical strip? "Monkey" thought the thread all needed to be installed in the "Ground" leg of one of those outlets. After I cleaned my drawers, I shoved them full of safety plugs - scared Daddy right here!***

Here is the MAJOR hang up at this point.....I was considering SCX shocks....they are simply too short! The chassis is sitting level (full compression) and I collapsed teh shocks to see how bad it would be....

Funny thing - My buddy is working on his DMG 1000 chassis giveaway build and I gave him TONS of parts the other day to get started....yes, we are both poor right now! LOL In the past week, I wish I had the SCX axle that I broke this weekend (I gave him my spare) and now, I wish I had the Wraith shocks that I now see I need (I gave him those as well)......Oh well, he can benefit from the stuff more than I can. So, I'm on the look out for some shock options for this "Turd"!

But, Good news is, I got the links mocked up - HUGE relief!!!

Last edited by redsawacs; 03-19-2014 at 08:30 AM.
Old 03-19-2014, 12:36 PM   #16
TSK
Shelf queen

Funny you mention the scx shocks being too short. I was kinda thinking along those lines when I rear your link lengths and then saw the side view of the chassis. Easiest solution would be to flip the axle side lower link mounts, and then run a longer rod end at the bottom of the shock.
Old 03-19-2014, 01:23 PM   #17
RCC Addict

I considered that last night. Then I realized I would have to make new links to compensate.....I really don't want to do that! LOL! Are my links too long? Will they affect performance being that long? Should I ditch the 60/40 idea and just run 50/50? Whats the major performance characteristics of both?

These things I have no clue about so any incite would be awesome.

What if I simply used longer (Wraith) shocks.
Old 03-19-2014, 01:53 PM   #18
TSK
Shelf queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsawacs View Post
I considered that last night. Then I realized I would have to make new links to compensate.....I really don't want to do that! LOL! Are my links too long? Will they affect performance being that long? Should I ditch the 60/40 idea and just run 50/50? Whats the major performance characteristics of both?

These things I have no clue about so any incite would be awesome.

What if I simply used longer (Wraith) shocks.
My chassis is designed around 60/40c and my rear lowers are about the same length but the rear shock mounts on the SP span the gap better by design.

Wraith shocks could work. But you might not get enough compression travel as the shock body will be longer.
Old 03-19-2014, 02:00 PM   #19
RCC Addict

Thanks buddy, I'll take a look at the lower link mount flip when I get to the house this evening and report back. I know it was an options, just not one I wanted to entertain - YET!....But, if that is cheaper, I'm all ears. If the consensus is, I can use the shocks I have just by closing the gap, I may mod another set of shock caps and try that along with the longer lower shock end.
Old 03-20-2014, 06:28 AM   #20
Rock Crawler

The scx shocks will work great with those axles and chassis IMO. Your pictures of a fully compressed shock aren't accurate because the axle lifts and rolls to the center as it articulates. Granted I used scx axles with this chassis but it was built around scx shocks.

Sent from my C811 4G using Tapatalk
chris.martell is offline   Reply With Quote

Red's "Avenge Me" AR60 build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/gYr-dbPEOnE" frameborde boolean21 Scale Videos! 0 10-01-2013 09:39 AM
Jkabee's "total noob" TJ build "this should be fun!" jkabee Axial SCX-10 128 03-24-2013 12:10 PM
My "Frogger" build "Litoria xanthomera" DRV KRAWLER Axial AX-10 Scorpion 61 10-04-2011 09:09 PM
Chaotic Crawlers "DEMON" build! aka "Kreacher" Mac10 EnRoute Berg 96 09-26-2010 01:49 PM