Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Wrecker's '08 Comp Rig

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2007, 07:38 PM   #1
[HOONIGAN]

Default Wrecker's '08 Comp Rig

Alright, since I've had a few requests for updates on my rig I figured I'd start a new thread since it's not sporting tlt axles anymore. It's not done yet, still in mock up/testing phase, but it's driving again. Here's the specs,

Stealth SW3 Chassis
-Custom Full Length Skid
-Black Delrin Standoff's
Links
-8/32 All Thread sleeved with 1/4" Delrin Tubing (Dyed Black)
-Jato Rod Ends
Losi XX Tanny geared 12/86
Axiom V11 Handwound Motor
2.5 Maxx Shafts
Axial Axles
-RCP Alloy C's
-RCP Alloy Knuckles
-RCP Straight Axle Adapters
-Bender Customs Stealth Front Upper Link Mount
-Mock Up Rear Upper Link mount (Will be replaced and blacked out once I figure out where I want the upper links mounted)
MSD "Top Gun" Alloy Beadlocks (no weight added)
Losi "Rock Claw" Tires
-Kreepy Red Front Foams (uncut)
-Stock Losi Rear Foams (uncut)
Hextronic Steering Servo (re-badged MG995) running at 7.2 volts
Mamba Max ESC
Castle BEC
Spektrum Radio Gear
Custom 10 cell Intellect Saddle Batter Packs
Hot Bodies 4" shocks
-Losi White Springs in Front with 10 weight oil
-Losi yellow (Left)/white (Right) springs in Rear with 50 (Left)/10 (Right) weight oil
Hacked Bug Body (My Nationals body lasted a whole week before every body line cracked and the paint therfore ripped off) Possibly switch to a Grappler Body since I just won one from RCP, it might go on the super though.

Ride height is currently just over 2", which is a little lower than I want. With this exact same setup on tlt axles it sat at 2.75" which I found to be about perfect. Due to the lower shock mounting posistion on the axial axle compared to the tlt axles I lost about 3/4" of ground clearance, which I don't really like. Since I need new shocks anyways I'm just going to get some longer shocks (probaly 4.5") to hopefully get back to the 2.75" range on GC. I could change the angle of the shocks to raise it a little, but I've found these mounting positions to works the best, so that's not an option.

Yes, there are some obvious thing wrong with it in the picture but again, it's still in mock up stage so they will get fixed. The links are the same links I was running with tlt axles, so that's why the front axle is at a horrible angle and the wheelbase is a bit long. New links will be made and the rear upper link mount plate will get remade when the final hole positions are decided. New tires and shocks are probably in the plans also cause these one's are really worn down.

As far as the link setup, it works amazing! This rear link setup works 10 times better for me than the standard sw3 setup. It is way more stable than it was before and much more capable. One thing I really like about this setup is that there is no need for a super stiff spring in the rear to figh torque twist. I'm able to use a soft losi yellow spring (2.0 lb rate) and it eliminates torque twist as much as my stiff spring would with standard link setup. This way it is much more predictable from the right to the left side and one side doesn't not want to flex out like my previous setup.

Alright, enough yapping, here's the pics,

Wrecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-26-2007, 07:42 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

That front pinion is just asking for a rock

Did you drill the pinion shaft or just cut down the grub screw?
slugzracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 07:44 PM   #3
[HOONIGAN]

Quote:
Originally Posted by slugzracing View Post
That front pinion is just asking for a rock

Did you drill the pinion shaft or just cut down the grub screw?
Yeah, the links for the tlt axles didn't quite come to the right lenght.

I tried drilling the pinion, HA, that didn't work. Cut down grub screws.
Old 12-26-2007, 07:48 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrecker View Post
Yeah, the links for the tlt axles didn't quite come to the right lenght.

I tried drilling the pinion, HA, that didn't work. Cut down grub screws.
How much torque have you tossed at them? They seem sturdy enough but still doesn't feel right
Old 12-26-2007, 07:50 PM   #5
MODERHATER™

That looks real neat.
666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 07:55 PM   #6
[HOONIGAN]

Quote:
Originally Posted by slugzracing View Post
How much torque have you tossed at them? They seem sturdy enough but still doesn't feel right
Driving around the garage on a dead battery.
I will hopefully go do some testing tomorrow since I've got to test out the new RC4WD Soft Mud Slingers, so we'll see how it holds up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 666 View Post
That looks real neat.
Ahhh, thanks Patrick. I know how jealous you are of these Axial axles.
Old 12-26-2007, 08:02 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

looks good just changed my rear set too one like tours but did it mainly for dig servo room.glad too hear that it works ok.i hear you on drilling the pinion shaft burned up two drill bits doing it on a friendds rig.
Rathgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 08:06 PM   #8
[HOONIGAN]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathgar View Post
looks good just changed my rear set too one like tours but did it mainly for dig servo room.glad too hear that it works ok.i hear you on drilling the pinion shaft burned up two drill bits doing it on a friendds rig.
Yeah, I tried drilling for like a minute and only made a microscopic indent so quit before I toasted any bits. Some of the upgraded hardened steel ring and pinon combos are coming with the hole predrilled (some aren't), so I'm just going to pick up a couple of those eventually.
Old 12-26-2007, 08:11 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

I was wonder ing why my rig was handleing so different runa stock axial spring in my left rear think im going too try a softer spring see if that helps.If the hardened ones have a prepunched hole that would be good.We put the pinion shaft in a jig clamped too a drill press.Once you get thru that hardened part on surface the center is soft.nothing like the smell of burning oil on a drill bit
Rathgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 08:19 PM   #10
Adilynsdad too!

Can I get the Cliffs Notes version of this thread?
braceysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 08:29 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by braceysdad View Post
Sweet mother of the box I live in, that is cool!
Old 12-26-2007, 10:06 PM   #12
[HOONIGAN]

Quote:

Yeah, I got a little carried away.
I figured with the gigantic lack of good tech in the ax-10 section I would take some time to really explain everything and go into detail for all of the new guys.

Short Version,

SW3, hybrid link setup
Axial axles with the goodies
Brushed/Mamba Maxx
MSD's w/ Claws
12 Volts, zoom zoom

Old 12-27-2007, 08:37 AM   #13
Rock Crawler

Hey Wrecker, Rathgar and I had a helluva time drilling the shafts but got them done. Can't wait to see the 12volts in action!!!! I just bumped mine up to 10.8 and , It is like driving a stadium truck again. That xtra juice is nice!
THnCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 09:46 AM   #14
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrecker View Post
Yeah, I tried drilling for like a minute and only made a microscopic indent so quit before I toasted any bits. Some of the upgraded hardened steel ring and pinon combos are coming with the hole predrilled (some aren't), so I'm just going to pick up a couple of those eventually.
Anybody know if the Wheely King pinion shafts are interchangeable? They are drilled and flat on two sides as well so they accept a maxx/jato/revo shaft a lot easier. I've actually got the parts laying around so maybe I should just quit asking stupid questions and check.....
RAM2500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 10:28 AM   #15

RAM- Please post your findings about the WK pinion, I like to use the max shafts and haven't switched out my TLT's for the axials for this reason. Thanks
RWKXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 10:51 AM   #16
[HOONIGAN]

Quote:
Originally Posted by THnCS View Post
Hey Wrecker, Rathgar and I had a helluva time drilling the shafts but got them done. Can't wait to see the 12volts in action!!!! I just bumped mine up to 10.8 and , It is like driving a stadium truck again. That xtra juice is nice!
Yeah the 12 volts is nice. I can keep the 12t pinion and super low speed crawling ability but when I give her some go she'll get up and go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAM2500 View Post
Anybody know if the Wheely King pinion shafts are interchangeable? They are drilled and flat on two sides as well so they accept a maxx/jato/revo shaft a lot easier. I've actually got the parts laying around so maybe I should just quit asking stupid questions and check.....
Is was wondering the same thing. I've got a set of wk axles sitting here but have just been to busy to take them both apart and see if they'll work. Please post up the results if you do try it out though.
Old 12-27-2007, 10:58 AM   #17
I wanna be Dave

10 cells damn dude, rock racing are we?

nice clean build, I love the belly draggers, they just " WORK "

you should post up a build COST tally for the n00bies, so they can see what a "REAL" comp rig costs, that way they know how much to put on mommy and daddy's credit card.
Unimoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 11:05 AM   #18
[HOONIGAN]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unimoger View Post
10 cells damn dude, rock racing are we?

nice clean build, I love the belly draggers, they just " WORK "

you should post up a build COST tally for the n00bies, so they can see what a "REAL" comp rig costs, that way they know how much to put on mommy and daddy's credit card.

Thanks Ben.
Yeah, there is quite a few of us CO guys that seem to be dong alot more racing than crawling. More speed=More fun!!!

I'm not sure if I want to tally up the total that I've dumped into this thing. I think it would scare me. Plus this is just the latest version, who knows how many hundreds of dollars worth of stuff has been replaced in the past couple months.:-( I'll see what I can do though, I'm sure there's more than a few people that would be curious to know.
Old 12-27-2007, 11:07 AM   #19
Adilynsdad too!

I'm quite sure that information was on page 162, paragraph 3, line 14 of the Wrecker's 08 Comp Rig book...
braceysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 11:19 AM   #20
[HOONIGAN]

Quote:
I'm quite sure that information was on page 162, paragraph 3, line 14 of the Wrecker's 08 Comp Rig book...

LMAO!!!!