Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: 1BadJeepBruiser's Ax10 Xtrail Bronco RTR with Videos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2008, 01:04 AM   #21
Sinking with the ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnster View Post
That was the color my brother and I were planning on painting "The Real Bronco". Looks great though, I really like the soft top. I haven't seen them logo's yet but if Stefan makes them you know they are good.
I really like this color, I think it looks great on the Bronco bodies. I actually used it once before on my Boyer Bronco

O and for those who want to know, here is what I am sort of modeling this after... my old 73', sold it to be more involved in RC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapegoat View Post
Man, it must be nice to have random badass stuff sitting around like a very nice tire carrier.
Thats the difference between me and a normal member...I am not just into RC, I am a Collector as well

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGGruff View Post
Looks great! As always your attention to detail is second to none. Good choice of color, I did my Scout with the same color and painted the back top black which went really well together. Also, you gotta love MO's handy work, the top looks outstanding on the Bronco!

Thanks dude, I cant say enough good things about Terry's tops, they are awesome.

-Mike

Last edited by 1BadJeepBruiser; 01-06-2008 at 01:09 AM.
1BadJeepBruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-2008, 05:14 AM   #22
I wanna be Dave

I saw that Bronco for sale...

Nice build
Rckcrwlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 07:04 AM   #23
RCC Addict

Thanks dude, I cant say enough good things about Terry's tops, they are awesome.

-Mike[/quote]

No problem at all. I always enjoy your builds! I'm actually kind of shocked its not a Yota Build. Glad to see some deviation. Don't get me wrong I love Toyotas. I drive a 99 Tacoma 4WD Standard Cab Sport edition and love it. I also have a new Hilux still in the box waiting on my damn 1.9 Rock Crushers to get here so I can get it together. Also I am waiting on my other top from Terry which will go on my Lil Orange Courier. It'll be similar to the one I put on my D90 but in black with just the rear window and no side windows which I like personally. Keep up the good work and keep us posted!
Ronzo
BGGruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 08:20 AM   #24
I wanna be Dave

Going to be one fine build I agree with you on the color it's very classic. Nice job so far BadJeep it will be fun to watch you complete this one.
Stormin2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 12:34 PM   #25
Rock Crawler

Did you just hit the links with a polishing compound once you stripped them? They turned out really nice. I stripped some Junfac rock rings with some easy off. Not as effective, but it worked. I had to go after them with the dremel afterwards to get all the anodizing off and finished them up with a brushed finish. I like your results a lot better.
RAM2500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 12:53 PM   #26

one of the best bodies i ever saw. wish i had the talent or patience
vic0280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 01:23 PM   #27
Quarry Creeper

looking good Mike, as usually your attention to detail is what makes the project

I'll be keeping an eye on this project
william g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 03:43 PM   #28
Pebble Pounder

Great pics and info. I am in the process of collecting info and part numbers for a scale build and would like a setup like your Axial with the X Trail chassis. Is it better to buy the AX-10 kit and the chassis; or just buy axles, tranny, etc. separate? Will the main components get close to the kit price of $230?

I was thinking that possibly you could save some money and use to buy aluminum beadlocks, mudslinger tires, scale shocks, etc. (other parts that make a rig look more scale). But as was the case with the TLT kit, you were ahead to buy the kit for all the nuts and bolts and misc. stuff instead of buying just the axles.

Thanks for any help.
gobucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 03:50 PM   #29
RCC Addict

Saw this late...........That Bronco body is bad ass........great job
cato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 04:19 PM   #30
Rock Crawler

Great job! Looks great and that color is nice, almost as good as the top.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobucks View Post
Great pics and info. I am in the process of collecting info and part numbers for a scale build and would like a setup like your Axial with the X Trail chassis. Is it better to buy the AX-10 kit and the chassis; or just buy axles, tranny, etc. separate? Will the main components get close to the kit price of $230?

I was thinking that possibly you could save some money and use to buy aluminum beadlocks, mudslinger tires, scale shocks, etc. (other parts that make a rig look more scale). But as was the case with the TLT kit, you were ahead to buy the kit for all the nuts and bolts and misc. stuff instead of buying just the axles.

Thanks for any help.
The X-trail is a direct bolt on so it uses the links and mounts and all that. you might as well buy the kit in my opinion. As with the Tlt kits, you get a ton of extra hardware and usable goodies. I cant give you an exact list as I decided not to go with the X-trail but go another route but I know a couple things. You will use the three links, the lower links, trans, axles, skid, maybe some cross braces. Some of the stuff that comes with the kit that are great to have are the aluminum hexes with grub screws, the beadlocks even though they are inferior to say rocksolids or the like. You'll probably spend about the same piecing it together anyways. I have also seen a few ax 10s for sale in the Sale section here recently.

Sorry 1bjb for cluttering your thread, didnt mean to ramble on and on
cembom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 04:37 PM   #31
Sinking with the ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by cembom View Post
Great job! Looks great and that color is nice, almost as good as the top.

The X-trail is a direct bolt on so it uses the links and mounts and all that. you might as well buy the kit in my opinion. As with the Tlt kits, you get a ton of extra hardware and usable goodies. I cant give you an exact list as I decided not to go with the X-trail but go another route but I know a couple things. You will use the three links, the lower links, trans, axles, skid, maybe some cross braces. Some of the stuff that comes with the kit that are great to have are the aluminum hexes with grub screws, the beadlocks even though they are inferior to say rocksolids or the like. You'll probably spend about the same piecing it together anyways. I have also seen a few ax 10s for sale in the Sale section here recently.

Sorry 1bjb for cluttering your thread, didnt mean to ramble on and on
Never an issue when legitimately helping another member

Cembon is correct, I personally would buy the whole kit, whatever you dont use, you could easily sell off.

more to come guys
-Mike
Old 01-06-2008, 04:49 PM   #32
Pebble Pounder

Thanks guys, sorry if I side-tracked the topic.
gobucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 08:17 AM   #33
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BadJeepBruiser View Post
Cembon is correct, I personally would buy the whole kit, whatever you dont use, you could easily sell off.

more to come guys
-Mike
Agreed, that is the general rule of thumb because if all the little things you would probably need and won't get buying assemblies or parts

Keep up the good work Mike
william g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 05:55 PM   #34
Sinking with the ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAM2500 View Post
Did you just hit the links with a polishing compound once you stripped them? They turned out really nice. I stripped some Junfac rock rings with some easy off. Not as effective, but it worked. I had to go after them with the dremel afterwards to get all the anodizing off and finished them up with a brushed finish. I like your results a lot better.
Yeup, didnt even use the dremel to polish them... I just soaked them, washed them really well then hit them with some really good metal polish my stepdad has for his harley then buffed them with the pit table rag on the work bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by william g View Post
looking good Mike, as usually your attention to detail is what makes the project

I'll be keeping an eye on this project
Thank you Will, I need to post up some new stuff on rcmt, I know you wanted to see more on my scout...Need to get some real pictures of that thing.

Anyways back to the build

Finished assembling my links, the upper 3 links came out really nice and shiny the lowers arent as shiny but thats ok... I may paint them blue or red down the road to reassemble a lift kit from the wild horse catalog

I built up the shocks, surprisingly they feel pretty good, BUT they are super long and way to big for EB and without any income right now I cant buy any scale shocks :-(

So I searched around the basement work shop and stumbled across a set of high lifts... they will have to do for now.

I got started on the trans

The bearings on the top shaft would NOT slide on, I basically had to beat them on and dropped the stupid pin that the gear sits on and couldnt find it and started freaking out....10 minutes later it was found and the trans got finished up

Ahhhhhh yes, finally time to start on the chassis

Couple of minutes later we are bolted up

One thing that has always bugged me is that if you dont have straight axle adapters to get rid of the knuckle on the back then you have the damn linkage showing obviously the solution is to get the straight adapters but I have no money so I did the next best thing... flipped the knuckles

Gives it a cleaner look. Only thing is I dont have a lot of threads into the ball cups so I will have to locate long turn buckles... I think I have a set in my room from the old steering linkage on my 4runner but I was lazy and didnt want to come up from the basement

I stole the tires and wheel off of my pathfinder as a mock up, they arent staying because the track width is super wide and thats NG. a fellow member from here and buddy of mine is donating some extra stock car wheels to me and hopefully I will have a spare set of 1.0 rock stompers...otherwise I will be robbing them from my high lift.

I then sat the lid on it, made a quick adjustment on the wheel base and looks like it is good to go

well thats it for now, I will leave you with Todays scale trick of the day, if you have a body with flares, get yourself one of these from walmart

Then you can add the "rivets" to your flares

Old 01-07-2008, 07:07 PM   #35
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BadJeepBruiser View Post
...well thats it for now, I will leave you with Todays scale trick of the day, if you have a body with flares, get yourself one of these from walmart

Then you can add the "rivets" to your flares

Mike...I love it man...but you need to get a job...
Rckcrwlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 07:13 PM   #36
RCC Addict

OK DUDE..., I know we have the same tastes in scale trucks,-which is fine... and we both know how to build a super detailed-realistic rig..,and thats fine too.... but when was it OK to copy MY Broncos Paintjob..???LMFAO..!!! How Ironic is this Mike..!!! ( check MY flares as well..!!!!!!!!!! ) 2 great minds think alike I guess..!! TOO FUNNY..!!!!

51WillysJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 08:56 PM   #37
Quarry Creeper

Why are your links set up in different hole positions? won't this make the suspension work diferently for the front and rear?
shenlonco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 12:31 AM   #38
Sinking with the ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51WillysJeep View Post
OK DUDE..., I know we have the same tastes in scale trucks,-which is fine... and we both know how to build a super detailed-realistic rig..,and thats fine too.... but when was it OK to copy MY Broncos Paintjob..???LMFAO..!!! How Ironic is this Mike..!!! ( check MY flares as well..!!!!!!!!!! ) 2 great minds think alike I guess..!! TOO FUNNY..!!!!
fo sho

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenlonco View Post
Why are your links set up in different hole positions? won't this make the suspension work diferently for the front and rear?
They are set up differently so that I the wheels are centered in the body and the WB is correct... If you see a reason that it will effect the suspension in a negative matter then feel free to school me Mr. Shenlonco cause I am not seeing how it will matter but thats just me... As they say, you learn something knew everyday right?

-Mike
Old 01-08-2008, 07:10 AM   #39
Quarry Creeper

I thought when you change the rod position and angles like you have it would cause the back and front suspension to work diferently..It probably does a little but I don't think it will matter to much... How you going to mount the body on ?
shenlonco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 07:29 AM   #40
Pebble Pounder

that rig is lookin great!
MaxxCrawler02 is offline   Reply With Quote