Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Capra

Notices

Thread: The unofficial official axial portal buggy.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2019, 07:52 AM   #901
Custom Carbon Fiber

Default Re: The unofficial official axial portal buggy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCTom View Post
What make/model is that 11T pinion you're using? I'm having a hard time finding 48P pinion gears that small. I see on the RPP website they have some Robinson Racing extra hard and wide 11T pinions with an aluminum collar (https://www.rpphobby.com/product_p/rrp1411.htm) but I'm unsure if the extra wide will fit the Capra. Does anyone know, or have any other suggestions? Also, you're saying that 10T and less tooth pinions won't mesh right, huh?

BTW, I'm probably using the same motor in my Capra as you, an HH Puller Pro Stubby 2700 kv.

https://www.rpphobby.com/product_p/tra6747.htm
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-09-2019, 07:54 AM   #902
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
How does that work...just curious? The Traxxas pinion is 32P, while the Axial spur & pinion are 48P.

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
Panther6834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 08:23 AM   #903
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
How does that work...just curious? The Traxxas pinion is 32P, while the Axial spur & pinion are 48P.
Capra gears are 32P not 48P.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 08:36 AM   #904
Custom Carbon Fiber

Quote:

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
No, the internals 48 .... the spur and counter are 32

https://www.rpphobby.com/product_p/axi232012.htm
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 08:49 AM   #905
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
No, the internals 48 .... the spur and counter are 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by svt923 View Post
Capra gears are 32P not 48P.
That's "strange", because, according to Horizon Hobby/Axial, this is the pinion used in the Capra - Pinion 48P 14T Steel (AXIC0569).
https://www.horizonhobby.com/product...steel-axic0569

Old 10-09-2019, 09:03 AM   #906
RCC Addict

Quote:
That's "strange", because, according to Horizon Hobby/Axial, this is the pinion used in the Capra - Pinion 48P 14T Steel (AXIC0569).

Yeah that's definitely a mix-up, if anything the part # should be AX30725.
Sneetches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 09:09 AM   #907
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneetches View Post
Yeah that's definitely a mix-up, if anything the part # should be AX30725.
Got ya ..another Axial "good-up". I'm sure these problems will be corrected soon enough.

So, to answer RCTom's question, then that would mean the 12T pinion should be AXI30838, and the 11T should be AXI30837.

Old 10-09-2019, 09:13 AM   #908

Quote:

This is very interesting. The spur is obviously 32p by looking at it. However, the intermediate "idler" gear - as pointed out by others - looks to have an odd "intermediate" tooth profile. Looks like we need a Capra owner to chime in if the pinion is 32 or 48.
MrFridayNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 09:20 AM   #909
Quarry Creeper

Capra owner here!
Pinion idler and spur are 32p, tranny internals have smaller teeth, could be 48 but personally just assembled it without comparing gears...
By the instruction sheet the stock 14t 32p pinion is AX30569, and by the Horizon site picture, that looks like the correct pinion, with large shank and M4 grub.
Maybe it's just a misprint on Horizon page 48vs32...

Last edited by rockspider; 10-09-2019 at 09:22 AM.
rockspider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 09:25 AM   #910
RCC Addict

Quote:
Got ya ..another Axial "good-up". I'm sure these problems will be corrected soon enough.

So, to answer RCTom's question, then that would mean the 12T pinion should be AXI30838, and the 11T should be AXI30837.

Well now you have to watch there as well, because those are the 5mm motor shaft pinions. That size of shaft is typically found on larger motors in 8th scale buggies/monster trucks, etc. The part number for the 1/8 bore pinion is AX30722 for 11T and AX30723 for 12T, that's if you go with an Axial pinion anyways.
Sneetches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 09:57 AM   #911
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFridayNight View Post
This is very interesting. The spur is obviously 32p by looking at it. However, the intermediate "idler" gear - as pointed out by others - looks to have an odd "intermediate" tooth profile. Looks like we need a Capra owner to chime in if the pinion is 32 or 48.
The pinion, spur and counter gear are all 32p. Can't have a 48p pinion mesh with the 32p counter gear...
Almighty Malach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 10:29 AM   #912
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCTom View Post
What make/model is that 11T pinion you're using? I'm having a hard time finding 48P pinion gears that small. I see on the RPP website they have some Robinson Racing extra hard and wide 11T pinions with an aluminum collar (https://www.rpphobby.com/product_p/rrp1411.htm) but I'm unsure if the extra wide will fit the Capra. Does anyone know, or have any other suggestions? Also, you're saying that 10T and less tooth pinions won't mesh right, huh?

BTW, I'm probably using the same motor in my Capra as you, an HH Puller Pro Stubby 2700 kv.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLetterJ View Post
I was playing around with pinions and managed to get good mesh with an 11t. There's just enough adjustment to be able too get it too tight so I tried a 10t on. While the 10t could touch the spur, it's certain to die a rapid death with only about 1/2 engagement. I couldn't tell if I ran out of slot first, or if the Puller Pro Stubby hit the transmission case first, but either way, 11t was the end of the road for me. I didn't check the high end of adjustment, but I'll leave that to the guys with a need for speed.
It's most definitely 32p. I have a bunch of pinions laying around, so I can't say for certain, but I believe I used a Traxxas 6747, the one that looks like sintered metal. I did not use my Robinson extra hard pinion just because I've had problems using dissimilar metals in the past, where the harder gear chews up the softer gear in short order, no problems when running metal (any) on plastic though.
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 11:13 AM   #913
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
It's most definitely 32p. I have a bunch of pinions laying around, so I can't say for certain, but I believe I used a Traxxas 6747, the one that looks like sintered metal. I did not use my Robinson extra hard pinion just because I've had problems using dissimilar metals in the past, where the harder gear chews up the softer gear in short order, no problems when running metal (any) on plastic though.
Wow, ain't I glad I asked! I'm currently at work and the car/manual are at home so I looked at Horizon/Axial website for info. Like Panther said, it's definitely listed as 48P. Very glad y'all know better!

Getting a 32P pinion in those lesser tooth counts is no-problemo. They should have those in stock at my LHS.

Just to verify, the spur gear is metal on the Capra, correct? Better check now just in case the interwebs is wrong again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneetches View Post
The part number for the 1/8 bore pinion is AX30722 for 11T and AX30723 for 12T, that's if you go with an Axial pinion anyways.
Sneetches/LetterJ and all else: I usually use Robinson Absolute hardened gears because my LHS has them in 32P. Plus, I've never had a failure yet.

With that said, I've always used them with plastic spur gears so I never gave the dissimilar metal thing any thought. If not a Robinson Absolute gear, what about any of their Steel Alloy gears, or even an aluminum gear (as you can tell, my LHS mostly has Robinson gears).

I can always order the Traxxas versions online if the Robinson gears can't be used.

One last thing about LetterJ's comment about the mesh problem with pinions smaller than 11 tooth. I'm building my Capra with that 2700 kv motor I mentioned for outdoor work. When I move to an indoor course over the winter it seems my combo may be too fast (per SVT's awesome build thread ). My first thought was to swap in a smaller pinion but it sounds like that may not be possible. Just trying to verify. Sounds like I may be swapping motors for winter use.

Last edited by RCTom; 10-09-2019 at 11:59 AM.
RCTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 11:44 AM   #914
RCC Addict

"Too fast" is kind of a personal opinion, but I will say that I wouldn't complain if it was slower. The thing is, it'll only go as fast as you tell it to when you squeeze the trigger, so as long as you're happy with the low end/start up, there's no reason to change your motor out. (flame suit on) With a few minor exceptions, lower kv motors don't really start up any smoother anyway. You can always drop from 3s to 2s if it's too jumpy for you.

All of the transmission gears in the Capra are sintered metal (including the idler gear that the pinion mates with), or, "the particle board of the metal world" if you will. It's plenty strong for the application, but like I said, I've had problems with running hardened steel gears against non-hardened steel gears before, so I chose to use the crappiest looking 11t pinion I had on hand (assuming it's also sintered)... which just happened to be Traxxas... I think.
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 11:50 AM   #915
Rock Crawler

Quote:
I chose to use the crappiest looking 11t pinion I had on hand
Same here, but it was also the best looking.
GA Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 12:50 PM   #916
I wanna be Dave

I put a 80t motor and a 17 tooth pinion. LOL. I couldn’t get the 19 tooth to mesh right, so looks like 17/18 is as tall as you can go. Plenty of TQ, not enough wheel speed though. Maybe on 3s but I doubt it. The claims of a ‘higher speed’ tranny early on spooked me and I ran that motor vs the 45t I initially intended to run.
Brake Weight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 12:59 PM   #917
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brake Weight View Post
I put a 80t motor and a 17 tooth pinion. LOL. I couldn’t get the 19 tooth to mesh right, so looks like 17/18 is as tall as you can go. Plenty of TQ, not enough wheel speed though. Maybe on 3s but I doubt it. The claims of a ‘higher speed’ tranny early on spooked me and I ran that motor vs the 45t I initially intended to run.
I don't know if I've ever seen an 80 turn motor run, LOL. But it's good to know that the pinion tooth range seems to be between 11-18 teeth for this rig.
RCTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 03:47 PM   #918
I wanna be Dave

I still have to paint the grill, I was "test fitting" my headlights. While I like the fact that Axial included built-in buckets, I had something else in mind...so, without even knowing if what I was intending to use would actually fit, I went ahead, popped out the headlight covers, and cut the buckets off from the back. Thankfully, they fit. Otherwise, I would have had to order a replacement grill.

Old 10-09-2019, 03:55 PM   #919
Quarry Creeper

Opened up my "loud" tranny and put in an RRP 11t pinion last night and now it's a quiet tranny.
punkindrublik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 04:09 PM   #920

Quote:
I still have to paint the grill, I was "test fitting" my headlights. While I like the fact that Axial included built-in buckets, I had something else in mind...so, without even knowing if what I was intending to use would actually fit, I went ahead, popped out the headlight covers, and cut the buckets off from the back. Thankfully, they fit. Otherwise, I would have had to order a replacement grill.

Nice! Where can we get those lights?

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkindrublik View Post
Opened up my "loud" tranny and put in an RRP 11t pinion last night and now it's a quiet tranny.
That's odd because usually smaller pinions mesh worse and get louder from what I remember. I'm guessing the machined gear rather than cast, sintered stock gears may have something to do with it.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote

The unofficial official axial portal buggy. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
portal axials on ax10 axial............... bob1961 Axial AX-10 Scorpion 8 04-03-2018 04:45 PM
Gmade R1 Rock Buggy Portal Axle any good mudd_slinger General Crawlers 3 12-20-2011 08:25 PM
RC Adventures - Axial Wraith - Unofficial Running Video RCSPARKS Scale Videos! 13 06-08-2011 07:21 AM
official duratrax vendetta buggy and st thread . snowball50 Chit Chat 7 02-10-2007 12:47 AM