Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Capra

Notices

Thread: Jato The GOAT

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2019, 08:45 PM   #41
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Jato The GOAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topher Builds View Post
A little hard to see, but I have the switch on the flip side of the bulk head and just behind/below the fuel cell.
That's an even better location...I like. Still haven't figured out if I'll be mounting the ESC in front of the 'fuel cell' (per the manual), or on the electronics tray (behind battery). I'll play with both locations, test-firing the power switch as well, to determine where all electronics will go.

In my case, the "problem" isn't just the ESC or power switch locations...it's also the Rx location. I'm still trying to decide between a 4-channel (R304SB) & 6-channel (R2006GS), as I've already got 2 (maybe 3) LED channels planned - lightbar & headlights are definite, small front grill-mounted lightbar is a possibility. If I decide on just two lighting channels, I can stick with the 4-channel Rx...but, if I decide to add that grill-mounted lightbar, then I'd need to switch to the 6-channel (with dual antenna).

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
Panther6834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-08-2019, 01:22 PM   #42
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
The servo saver has no business being here IMO. I want to find an aluminum horn that is short enough to work for the dig. If anybody knows of one please let me know!

][/url]
I ordered a few of these https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-x-Heavy-D...-/312722459601 years ago to put onto our (at the time) many mg90s servos, well as it turns out, the manufacturer can't count and they are actually 20t... which fit the SX107 perfectly! The 3 mounting holes are at 10, 13, and 16mm's from the center of the servo's output, with the 13mm centering perfectly in the oval on the end of the dig's shift rod. Bonus there is that the spring from the now unused servo saver fits nicely on the slipper clutch instead of that questionable plastic spacer.

Of course, the other option is to switch out to one of the 25t micro servos (PowerHD TR-4, JX1151, and I think the Traxxas 2065?) which opens up tons of options for horns.
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 04:45 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITE-TRASH View Post
Just noticed something. Use the stock servo arm on the dig servo. The shoulder on the metal splines insert fits the hole on the servo saver spring pocket nicely. Put the arms face to face and use the saver to pilot the hole.
That's an interesting find.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLetterJ View Post
I ordered a few of these https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-x-Heavy-D...-/312722459601 years ago to put onto our (at the time) many mg90s servos, well as it turns out, the manufacturer can't count and they are actually 20t... which fit the SX107 perfectly! The 3 mounting holes are at 10, 13, and 16mm's from the center of the servo's output, with the 13mm centering perfectly in the oval on the end of the dig's shift rod. Bonus there is that the spring from the now unused servo saver fits nicely on the slipper clutch instead of that questionable plastic spacer.

Of course, the other option is to switch out to one of the 25t micro servos (PowerHD TR-4, JX1151, and I think the Traxxas 2065?) which opens up tons of options for horns.
Thanks for the link! Yep, 13mm is what I measured the stock horn to be so I'll have to order one of those.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 04:51 PM   #44

I printed a little mount that screwed to the cage with a stock screw and allowed me to use servo tape to stick the switch there. That'll do for now until I tear into it and put the switch in the interior.

After a lot of typing here is my finished rig! Although I kinda gave it away in the previous post about the wheel weights and didn't even realize it until now.

The build was fun and pretty easy. I think there was a lot of good thoughts put into this rig. Now I can't wait to see how it performs out on the trail.

I did a little detail work on the fuel cell. Fuell cells should be red and this one is similar to my Bomber's. Just a little bit of detail.

I was pretty happy with my two-tone paint job until I started posting photos online. Then I realized my mask job wasn't as good as I initially thought. Oh well. Still better than most of my paint jobs lately.

I like the stance with the limiters.

Old 10-08-2019, 05:25 PM   #45
Gold Star Baby!

Looking good Tim! Fuel cell came out clean. Looking forward to hearing about your hands on wheel time experiences.
Topher Builds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 05:33 PM   #46
I wanna be Dave

Fuel cell looks great.

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
Old 10-08-2019, 05:37 PM   #47
Rock Crawler

My paint scheme is very similar except that it's red and white.
GA Dawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 06:42 PM   #48
Go Buckeyes!

Looks good Jato!

I think the ride height looks good with the 5mm spacers that you used.

I'm liking how the Rockbeast XL's look on there with them wheels. I think my unused XL's will finally have a home on my future Capra!

Can't wait to hear how she does out on the rocks!
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 02:10 PM   #49
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
We can buy plastic car ramps that hold 12,000 pounds so I'm sure we can design stronger 2-piece RC driveshafts. LOL

The original Wild Boar driveshafts were 2 piece, the issue we had was the bore size needed in the male side to install an M3 screw didn't allow for that much material between it and the spline. The male shaft would twist pretty easily on those.

When we went to this floating male center section we were able to get the needed material to prevent them from twisting.

Of course that was all prior to working with the new vendor and their materials, it may be possible to go back to a 2 piece and have it work, or we just keep the stronger design and it becomes even stronger in the new materials? One nice thing about the 3 piece design is that you have a lot more choices in combinations of the different lengths we offer to accommodate a lot of custom builds.

Great build thread Jato, lots of good info and things for us to take a second look at.
Matt.k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 05:53 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topher Builds View Post
Looking good Tim! Fuel cell came out clean. Looking forward to hearing about your hands on wheel time experiences.
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
Fuel cell looks great.

Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Dawg View Post
My paint scheme is very similar except that it's red and white.
Very cool. Make a thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-MOW71 View Post
Looks good Jato!

I think the ride height looks good with the 5mm spacers that you used.

I'm liking how the Rockbeast XL's look on there with them wheels. I think my unused XL's will finally have a home on my future Capra!

Can't wait to hear how she does out on the rocks!
Thank you! I'm anxious to try her out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt.k View Post
The original Wild Boar driveshafts were 2 piece, the issue we had was the bore size needed in the male side to install an M3 screw didn't allow for that much material between it and the spline. The male shaft would twist pretty easily on those.

When we went to this floating male center section we were able to get the needed material to prevent them from twisting.

Of course that was all prior to working with the new vendor and their materials, it may be possible to go back to a 2 piece and have it work, or we just keep the stronger design and it becomes even stronger in the new materials? One nice thing about the 3 piece design is that you have a lot more choices in combinations of the different lengths we offer to accommodate a lot of custom builds.

Great build thread Jato, lots of good info and things for us to take a second look at.
I don't mind them that much. Just hate when the female parts are too short and the male piece falls out. Changing them would also make a lot of people unhappy I'm sure. The current design does give you more options for sure.

Thank you for the kind words. I haven't test it yet, but judging from the build you did a great job on this rig! And I'm anxious to see what new vehicle is up next... *cough*SCX10 III *cough*
Old 10-10-2019, 10:29 PM   #51
I wanna be Dave

Meh, it ain’t bad for a rookie!

🤣

Looking forward to your impressions of those tires.

Nice work.👍🏼
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 02:00 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezfan View Post
Meh, it ain’t bad for a rookie!

🤣

Looking forward to your impressions of those tires.

Nice work.👍🏼

Thanks! I'll let you know. I am hopefully getting this out on the trail tomorrow morning if my lazy ass can get up.
Old 10-12-2019, 02:03 PM   #53

I designed and 3D printed a Chevy C10 inspired grille. The printer needs some dialing in, but I like it.

Old 10-12-2019, 03:14 PM   #54
Rock Crawler

Haha! Neat idea on the grill.
JohnnyAnguish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 03:45 PM   #55
I wanna be Dave

Cool...but, can ya do a Toyota grill (ie. reminiscent of the old FJ-40) ?

Old 10-12-2019, 04:32 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyAnguish View Post
Haha! Neat idea on the grill.
Thanks!

I just clicked the link in your signature - awesome work on the tire finder!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
Cool...but, can ya do a Toyota grill (ie. reminiscent of the old FJ-40) ?

Sure. I plan on trying other brands. I'm not really a Toyota fan unless it is the older stuff. The FJ is a great idea! I'll design one up.
Old 10-12-2019, 05:36 PM   #57
Rock Crawler

Quote:
I just clicked the link in your signature - awesome work on the tire finder!
Thanks! I'm a tire junkie. I also over analyze every purchase I make. You can probably see where the inspiration came from.

This also just reminded me that I needed to add the Element 1.55 Grabbers, so I just did!
JohnnyAnguish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 07:33 PM   #58
Rock Crawler

Quote:
I designed and 3D printed a Chevy C10 inspired grille. The printer needs some dialing in, but I like it.

Needs light buckets and clear(ish) lenses, lol.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
JSterrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 08:01 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSterrett View Post
Needs light buckets and clear(ish) lenses, lol.

3D printed clear is more like translucent which is scale for aged and fogged headlight housings. LOL

I pulled the stock lenses out of the stock grille, but they're only held in by two spindly ass pegs.
Old 10-12-2019, 08:25 PM   #60
Rock Crawler

Quote:
3D printed clear is more like translucent which is scale for aged and fogged headlight housings. LOL

I pulled the stock lenses out of the stock grille, but they're only held in by two spindly ass pegs.
True, but I think I got fairly reasonable clarity with these...

JSterrett is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axial, capra, crawler, horizon, jato

Jato The GOAT - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
E-JATO Help please djjerbeck Non Crawler RC's 0 03-29-2014 12:36 AM
Jato? mike Tamiya TLT Crawlers 6 08-17-2005 07:46 PM