Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Capra

Notices

Thread: Jato The GOAT

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2020, 06:52 AM   #81
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Jato The GOAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brake Weight View Post
Were you noticeably out crawler by the brass knuckle weights or was it close crawling?
I don't think they were worth the cost honestly. We were pretty equal all around. The Pitbulls for sure outgripped the G8 Hyrax and that evened the odds significantly.
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-2020, 08:45 AM   #82
Gold Star Baby!

Glad to see you got some wheel time in and are happy with the rig. I agree they are a whole lot of fun to wheel. Much different experience than a normal scale truck.
Topher Builds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 09:13 AM   #83
I wanna be Dave

Looks like an awesome spot Jato. Too bad about all the damn graffiti on the rocks.

Last edited by mewalsh100; 01-02-2020 at 10:58 AM.
mewalsh100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 11:27 AM   #84
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSRC View Post
I don't think they were worth the cost honestly. We were pretty equal all around. The Pitbulls for sure outgripped the G8 Hyrax and that evened the odds significantly.

Thanks for the feedback.
Brake Weight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 11:58 AM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSRC View Post
I think it's a rare occasion these days when you see modern tires clearly out perform another, but I do agree we saw noticeable differences in certain situations on that day. Pretty cool to see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topher Builds View Post
Glad to see you got some wheel time in and are happy with the rig. I agree they are a whole lot of fun to wheel. Much different experience than a normal scale truck.
Thank you! Yep, for sure this is my new favorite non-scaler scaler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mewalsh100 View Post
Looks like an awesome spot Jato. Too bad about all the damn graffiti on the rocks.
Thank you for the edit! I greatly appreciate it!

It's a great place for trail trucks and rock crawlers and very nice to have 30 minutes from my house! Yes, the graffiti is bad and I worry that someday it may be part of the reason this private park shuts down to the public.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 12:21 PM   #86
I wanna be Dave

I did get the brass portal covers. The place where I saw them help the most were extreme inclines. That and using the front as anchors on minor ledges are about the only reason I got them for though. I noticed the front would lift on those steep inclines, and I wanted the front more planted. That + the Supershafty rear link riser seems to have helped out quite a bit for my rig.
soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 12:34 PM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by soze View Post
I did get the brass portal covers. The place where I saw them help the most were extreme inclines. That and using the front as anchors on minor ledges are about the only reason I got them for though. I noticed the front would lift on those steep inclines, and I wanted the front more planted. That + the Supershafty rear link riser seems to have helped out quite a bit for my rig.
I am sure I'll add some weights to the front of mine. I just don't want to make the truck too heavy. I'm waiting for more options to come out there. SSD just listed theirs on their website and they look very appealing.

I ordered that link riser mount, but I'm still waiting on it.
Old 01-05-2020, 04:58 PM   #88

Some of my upgrades for the Capra came from SuperShafty.

I got their link riser and the Team Garage Hack 30% overdrive portal gears. I also got a root beer barrel and a Tootsie pop. Some lucky folks got a cool, SuperShafty sicker sheet as well. I did not, but that's how the cookie crumbles.

Along with these mods from SS, I also ordered the stiffer, green springs for the rear shocks and thicker, 50wt oil. Those last two items are coming from RPP and USPS must have shipped them by horse because they're a few days late now.

Old 01-05-2020, 05:00 PM   #89
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Some of my upgrades for the Capra came from SuperShafty.

I got their link riser and the Team Garage Hack 30% overdrive portal gears. I also got a root beer barrel and a Tootsie pop. Some lucky folks got a cool, SuperShafty sicker sheet as well. I did not, but that's how the cookie crumbles.

Along with these mods from SS, I also ordered the stiffer, green springs for the rear shocks and thicker, 50wt oil. Those last two items are coming from RPP and USPS must have shipped them by horse because they're a few days late now.

I'll trade you my Wintergreen Lifesavers, for your root beer.

Only problem I had installing the OD gears was that one of the lower bearings didn't want to come out of my Vitavon brass portal covers. After using a tiny jeweler's flathead screwdriver (VERY carefully, and rotating very slowly while "working it out"), it finally came out. Thanks, both bearings went back into place just as easily as they had when I installed the brass portal covers. Haven't yet been able to test the OD gears, but I'm certain they'll do exactly what they're supposed to.

~ More peace, love, laughter & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place

Last edited by Panther6834; 01-05-2020 at 05:04 PM.
Panther6834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 05:11 PM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
I'll trade you my Wintergreen Lifesavers, for your root beer.

Only problem I had installing the OD gears was that one of the lower bearings didn't want to come out of my Vitavon brass portal covers. After using a tiny jeweler's flathead screwdriver (VERY carefully, and rotating very slowly while "working it out"), it finally came out. Thanks, both bearings went back into place just as easily as they had when I installed the brass portal covers. Haven't yet been able to test the OD gears, but I'm certain they'll do exactly what they're supposed to.

~ More peace, love, laughter & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
Too late. The Tootsie Roll was consumed first and the root beer barrel didn't last much longer. I do love the Wintergreen LifeSavers, but we have a huge bag here.

Why did you need to remove the bearing from the brass cover when it was going back on anyway?
Old 01-05-2020, 05:20 PM   #91
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Too late. The Tootsie Roll was consumed first and the root beer barrel didn't last much longer. I do love the Wintergreen LifeSavers, but we have a huge bag here.

Why did you need to remove the bearing from the brass cover when it was going back on anyway?
I misworded that...sorry (was trying to keep my post short, as I can sometimes be "overly wordy).

Anyway, what I meant to say is, when I removed one of the axle stubs from the portal covers, it was stuck on the axle stub. In order to remove the lower portal gear, I needed to remove the bearing. I used the jeweler's flathead to work the bearing off the axle stub. I slowly worked it off, holding the gear, and slowly rotating the gear as I worked the bearing off. Once the bearing was off the axle stub, I easily popped it right back into the portal housing.

Does it make more sense worded that way? Again, my wording the first time would have confused even me, had I been the one reading it.

Old 01-06-2020, 07:44 AM   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
I misworded that...sorry (was trying to keep my post short, as I can sometimes be "overly wordy).

Anyway, what I meant to say is, when I removed one of the axle stubs from the portal covers, it was stuck on the axle stub. In order to remove the lower portal gear, I needed to remove the bearing. I used the jeweler's flathead to work the bearing off the axle stub. I slowly worked it off, holding the gear, and slowly rotating the gear as I worked the bearing off. Once the bearing was off the axle stub, I easily popped it right back into the portal housing.

Does it make more sense worded that way? Again, my wording the first time would have confused even me, had I been the one reading it.

Yep, that makes sense.
Old 01-06-2020, 07:50 AM   #93
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Yep, that makes sense.
I need to try to be better at proofreading posts before I hit the "send" button...not only for spelling/grammer errors, but also for how I worded things. Can't remember how many times I've posted something (especially in the Traxxas forum, which I know you'll understand, having commented on my posts there), only to have someone misunderstand what I meant...and then, when I go back and re-read what I posted, I understand how they misunderstood - but it was my fault for incorrectly working what I was trying to get across. What can I say...I'm human.

Tags
axial, capra, crawler, horizon, jato

Jato The GOAT - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
E-JATO Help please djjerbeck Non Crawler RC's 0 03-29-2014 12:36 AM
Jato? mike Tamiya TLT Crawlers 6 08-17-2005 07:46 PM