Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial RR10 Bomber

Notices

Thread: 802coma's Budget Bomber

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2016, 07:48 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default 802coma's Budget Bomber

I figure I'll start a thread on this amazing machine. It's probably the best rtr out of the box Axial has released to date.

I know some were complaining on the speed out of the box, I found it suitable for a rtr that can crawl better than going fast.

I really loved how they kept a lot of items the same like ar60 axles and wraith front link set and yeti rear setup. Makes parts plentiful out of the box.

With that being said...I am going to be very budget minded with this rig. Replace only what is needed unless there is a actual performance gain. Also I'll be trying to keep it as close to a actual bomber fab rig during the process.

I've taken it out 3 times, only thing done to it was I threw my yeti sway bar on out of the box....currently sitting with a stripped servo horn. But I can't say enough how much fun this rig is!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
802coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-2016, 07:53 PM   #2

Default Re: 802coma's Budget Bomber

nice pics and cool video.

i stripped my servo horn and replaced it with the axial clamping type. today i stripped the plastic gear in the stock servo. replaced that with a
metal one from ebay (9$) and it is good as new. The stock servo is not great, but it isn't terrible, especially with a BEC @ 6V.
antikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 10:34 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Looking toward to what you do.

What is all that white stuff?
cmbscx10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 03:55 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbscx10 View Post
Looking toward to what you do.

What is all that white stuff?

Thanks! Yeah I want to keep this mild. The yeti was just overboard!

White stuff? Don't mention it. Just got another 4-5" yesterday

Old 01-04-2016, 08:42 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

I don't mind the white stuff, it's just the cold weather that comes along with it that I mind. Although, I not sure if this recent snow we got is particularly grippy, or if the S30 BFG's are just that good in the snow, but either way the Bomber is very adept at snow-bashing right out of the box (on 3 cell).

Funny, I stripped the servo horn on the second pack as well. Got one of those new-fangled Pro-Modeler servos to put through the wringer and I'll hang onto the stocker for a shift servo when the time comes.

I'm pretending that mine is "budget", but I know how much of a money pit the Wraith was, so I expect this to be similar. Already have beef tubes, UD gears, U-jointed shafts, some home-made links and other odds and ends to add to it. I figure some AL knuckles and C-hubs and it should hold up to my abuse level. I'm really happy at all the extra reinforcements, tubes, and material added to the chassis when compared to a Wraith.

I'm surprised you could tolerate the stock shock setup. Mine weren't even half full and it just flopped over with every stab of the throttle. Had to swap over to 70 R, 40 F Associated oils to get in the ballpark. It's amazing what properly filled shocks will do for handling/stability. I might go lighter on the front shock oil, but I'll wait till the battery is relocated further down and rearward before making final adjustments.
meatmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 09:52 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatmonkey View Post
I don't mind the white stuff, it's just the cold weather that comes along with it that I mind. Although, I not sure if this recent snow we got is particularly grippy, or if the S30 BFG's are just that good in the snow, but either way the Bomber is very adept at snow-bashing right out of the box (on 3 cell).

Funny, I stripped the servo horn on the second pack as well. Got one of those new-fangled Pro-Modeler servos to put through the wringer and I'll hang onto the stocker for a shift servo when the time comes.

I'm pretending that mine is "budget", but I know how much of a money pit the Wraith was, so I expect this to be similar. Already have beef tubes, UD gears, U-jointed shafts, some home-made links and other odds and ends to add to it. I figure some AL knuckles and C-hubs and it should hold up to my abuse level. I'm really happy at all the extra reinforcements, tubes, and material added to the chassis when compared to a Wraith.

I'm surprised you could tolerate the stock shock setup. Mine weren't even half full and it just flopped over with every stab of the throttle. Had to swap over to 70 R, 40 F Associated oils to get in the ballpark. It's amazing what properly filled shocks will do for handling/stability. I might go lighter on the front shock oil, but I'll wait till the battery is relocated further down and rearward before making final adjustments.

Did not know you had one of these! Very cool. How is the torque twist with the fresh oils? Or are you running a sway bar as well? I haven't notice a whole lot issues with the shocks yet, but I haven't driven it a whole bunch either and there might be more oil in mine.

Think final stages on mine will be tubes, chubs, knuckles, universals, full linkage treatment. Back and a 27 t HH motor with possibly a 2 speed

Old 02-08-2016, 05:08 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Still having lots of fun with this rig. Since the last post I blew the stock servo and replaced it with a HV400 from Holmes. I also decided to throw my BRXL and 35t TM as well. Defiantly notice the torque gain and better run times with nicer electronics.

Went out this past weekend and had a blast until I accidentally rolled over a 15-20ft cliff. My bad driving and not paying attention. From what I see the only thing that broke was the link, I still need to check the front shafts if they are bent at all. But overall a pretty stout rig I must say.

Here are the pics of the ledge.

And some other shots before my day ended.

Overall it did good, the tires are the biggest hindrance on the rig currently. Not really sure what I'll be putting on, maybe some U4s.

Old 02-08-2016, 06:53 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Mine's a budget Bomber too. My budget is $200 every two weeks.
GLHS592 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 06:54 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLHS592 View Post
Mine's a budget Bomber too. My budget is $200 every two weeks.

Yeah that's what I basically put into it so far...but it's stuff I had kicking around on the shelf

Old 02-08-2016, 07:40 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Just changing the oil weight and properly bleeding the stock shocks made a night and day difference with torque twist. I'd even go so far as to say it is tolerable at stock power levels. When mine next finds it's way off of the workbench it'll be sporting more power and I suspect it will still eventually need at least a rear sway bar. Not sure one which one to get. Seems the Dlux variety is popular, as well as his trailing arms, which need upgrading as well, ooh, and some of those nifty zero-slop kingpin bushings.
meatmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 07:42 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatmonkey View Post
Just changing the oil weight and properly bleeding the stock shocks made a night and day difference with torque twist. I'd even go so far as to say it is tolerable at stock power levels. When mine next finds it's way off of the workbench it'll be sporting more power and I suspect it will still eventually need at least a rear sway bar. Not sure one which one to get. Seems the Dlux variety is popular, as well as his trailing arms, which need upgrading as well, ooh, and some of those nifty zero-slop kingpin bushings.

Those trailing arms are excellent, I have a set on my yeti.

Yeah I'll get to the shock work when I short stroke my ascender shocks.

802coma's Budget Bomber - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
KurseD build: the Brass Bomber Budget Bucket KurseD RC4WD Trail Finder 2 15 05-26-2016 04:40 AM
Budget bomber must do's ride1226 Axial RR10 Bomber 48 01-06-2016 07:36 PM
802coma's Trusty Build 802coma RC4WD Trail Finder 2 52 01-03-2016 11:08 PM
802coma's Ascender Build 802coma Vaterra Ascender 6 09-18-2015 02:33 PM
Touring cars... budget and unlimited budget jetboat Chit Chat 22 10-28-2013 06:27 AM