Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial RR10 Bomber

Notices

Thread: what is the purpose of your bomber?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2017, 06:37 PM   #21
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: what is the purpose of your bomber?

I got the Bomber because it is one of the best all-around stock trucks capable of a wide variety of terrain. Other than the p.o.s. stock servo, there is no real need to upgrade from the start. I like how it's waterproof, can handle dirt, sand, rocky terrain...and isn't too bad at crawling.

I let my 9-year old daughter drive it today and she had a blast! I didn't get much on it today...
Stoovey2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-01-2017, 05:14 PM   #22
Rock Stacker

I don't know, I bought it and a bunch of aftermarket parts,plus Tekin ROC, RSX, Hotwire , wheels tires etc and haven't looked at it or the other crawler and monster truck I bought last year since I got them. Might be ebay time.
granite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 06:57 AM   #23
Rock Crawler

Mine was for crawling though it's a better trail rig stock as gearing was simply too high for extended crawling with the weight (heat) and there was no simple way to get it lower without killing the speed. A high turn motor wasn't really an option either.

Ironically it's not at all capable at going fast either without major modifications so I kind of settled on a crawler/bouncer and am really happy with it like this. 2 speed, 550 size brushed motor on 3S and it's just about perfect. It can't turn at even moderate speed worth a damn but it crawls great now and has very reasonable wheel speed (24km/h going on the online calc) for what I need. It's CRAZY reliable compared to a stock SCX10 or Yeti and now it's waterproofed it's a basically go anywhere, have a go at anything type rig. I love the thing even if it's not very fast as it's just so flexible and reliable. A 2200 lipo lasts nearly an hour too zooming around.

Great truck.
CoolRunning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 08:01 AM   #24

Default what is the purpose of your bomber?

Mine (RTR version) was purchased as my initial entry into the crawling world (not my first r/c). I have it set up as a dedicated crawler:

Axial 55T brushed
2 down on the pinion
Stainless Incision links all around
Vanquish trailing arms
Savox 1230sg servo
Axial 25T metal servo horn
Castle 2.0 BEC
Proline beadlocks
Proline Super Swamper TSL-SX rubber
Axial internal wheel weights (front)
Team Associated LED light bar

I love it for what it is,but I just purchased a Traxxas TRX-4 which I will be focusing on for the crawling. I'm trying to decide what to do with the Bomber now.

I'm thinking of selling it to be honest.

Last edited by HOLLYWOOD33; 07-03-2017 at 08:04 AM.
HOLLYWOOD33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 06:13 PM   #25
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by granite View Post
I don't know, I bought it and a bunch of aftermarket parts,plus Tekin ROC, RSX, Hotwire , wheels tires etc and haven't looked at it or the other crawler and monster truck I bought last year since I got them. Might be ebay time.
So if you got the Bomber, another crawler, and a monster truck and haven't used any of them since last year...what have you been running?
Old 07-03-2017, 06:20 PM   #26
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolRunning View Post
...and now it's waterproofed it's a basically go anywhere, have a go at anything type rig...
Other than the water-resistant crap stock servo, it already waterproof out of the box. Or did you get the kit version?
Old 07-04-2017, 01:38 PM   #27
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoovey2004 View Post
So if you got the Bomber, another crawler, and a monster truck and haven't used any of them since last year...what have you been running?
Nothing.
Old 07-05-2017, 04:35 AM   #28
Rock Crawler

I know your Bomber is probably quite slow with the 55T and reduced pinion which makes it a bit less 'bomber' like where it looses some flexibility but is it that much worse at crawling compared to the TRX-4?

I ask as my Bomber is head and shoulders better at crawling than my SCX10.1

It's WAY tougher and more reliable as well.

I'm quite interested in the TRX-4 but have kind of bought into the Axial stuff and at least it's simple to pull apart after getting wet etc.

Is the Traxxas that much better or simply is your Bomber a bit too niche being a slow crawler?

I have to say that the Yeti 2 speed transforms the Bomber but if I was stuck in low gear all the time I would be SERIOUSLY bummed by how slow it was.

Here is a pretty affordable mod:

HW 1080 ESC $41
Traxxas 550 21T motor which is in your TRX-4 but normal turn $20
Yeti 2 speed and Savox 0231MG waterproof servo
3S lipo

The RR10 will the great fun and waterproof with some silicone under the RX box. I find it crawls really well and is plenty fun for zooming around like this. Totally reliable as well as cheap to repair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOLLYWOOD33 View Post
Mine (RTR version) was purchased as my initial entry into the crawling world (not my first r/c). I have it set up as a dedicated crawler:

Axial 55T brushed
2 down on the pinion
Stainless Incision links all around
Vanquish trailing arms
Savox 1230sg servo
Axial 25T metal servo horn
Castle 2.0 BEC
Proline beadlocks
Proline Super Swamper TSL-SX rubber
Axial internal wheel weights (front)
Team Associated LED light bar

I love it for what it is,but I just purchased a Traxxas TRX-4 which I will be focusing on for the crawling. I'm trying to decide what to do with the Bomber now.

I'm thinking of selling it to be honest.

Last edited by CoolRunning; 07-05-2017 at 04:38 AM.
Old 07-05-2017, 04:44 AM   #29
Rock Crawler

Mine was RTR but I didn't trust the ESC or RX box being waterproof. My ESC and motor got hot on 2S so I replaced them. The RTR servo is running 8 months later in a Yeti that has been totally underwater. It's nothing fancy but still works great and has some sizable miles on it. I wouldn't purposefully dunk it but my son was at the helm that day.

Is the AE-5 actually waterproof? It must only have a micron of conformal coating on it! Lol Like the Losi RR RX...that RX coating is very similar to the axial.

Quote:
Other than the water-resistant crap stock servo, it already waterproof out of the box. Or did you get the kit version?
Old 07-05-2017, 01:56 PM   #30
Quarry Creeper

I've had mine totally submersed pretty much every time I run it. Other than the stock servo quitting, I have had no trouble at all. However, it does seem to not respond to the transmitter signal when completely under the water...I noticed that today.
Old 07-05-2017, 01:57 PM   #31
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by granite View Post
Nothing.
I don't mean to sound pompous, but if you haven't been running anything since last year, why are you here? Just curious...
Old 07-05-2017, 04:25 PM   #32
Rock Stacker

Quote:
I don't mean to sound pompous, but if you haven't been running anything since last year, why are you here? Just curious...
Actually its a valid question. I've had an interest in crawlers for a while, been running rc for long time. Its not my only hobby.
Bought the bomber for crawling.
Life happened.

I came looking at how some guys painted their interior.If I get this thing painted I might be inclined to run it.
Old 07-05-2017, 05:35 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolRunning View Post
I know your Bomber is probably quite slow with the 55T and reduced pinion which makes it a bit less 'bomber' like where it looses some flexibility but is it that much worse at crawling compared to the TRX-4?

I ask as my Bomber is head and shoulders better at crawling than my SCX10.1

It's WAY tougher and more reliable as well.

I'm quite interested in the TRX-4 but have kind of bought into the Axial stuff and at least it's simple to pull apart after getting wet etc.

Is the Traxxas that much better or simply is your Bomber a bit too niche being a slow crawler?

I have to say that the Yeti 2 speed transforms the Bomber but if I was stuck in low gear all the time I would be SERIOUSLY bummed by how slow it was.

Here is a pretty affordable mod:

HW 1080 ESC $41
Traxxas 550 21T motor which is in your TRX-4 but normal turn $20
Yeti 2 speed and Savox 0231MG waterproof servo
3S lipo

The RR10 will the great fun and waterproof with some silicone under the RX box. I find it crawls really well and is plenty fun for zooming around like this. Totally reliable as well as cheap to repair.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do with the Bomber. I bought it to get into crawling (I didn't know better).

I have yet to play with the TRX-4, but I'm already sure I will like it better as a crawler. It is more realistic looking and will be more challenging than the Bomber.

I already have a fast 1/8 scale (6S lipo) buggy for bashing, so I might just put the Bomber up for sale.
HOLLYWOOD33 is offline   Reply With Quote

what is the purpose of your bomber? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
WIDE 1.9......they could have purpose. 808DA6 Tires and Wheels 7 06-01-2011 10:01 PM
Best multi-purpose? jessecuster Newbie General 8 09-11-2010 12:48 PM
Purpose of Lockouts? aggierc Newbie General 2 11-25-2009 07:24 PM